Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone have the paper for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    There's some bits missing/not sure on and the wording isn't right but these are the questions as far as I know
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. f(x,y) = (y2 + x)/x
    f(2) = 5
    (a) Use Euler with h = 0.05 to find an approximation for y(2.05) [2]
    (b) Use the formula yr+1 = yr-1 + 2hf(xr, yr) to obtain an approximation for y(2.1), giving your answer to three significant figures [3]

2. Use an integrating factor to solve dy/dx + (tanx)y = tan3xsecx, given that y = 2 when x = π/4. [9]

3. (a)(i) Write down the expansion of ln(1 + 2x) up to and including terms in x4 [1]
    (a)(ii) Find the first two non-zero terms of ln[(1 + 2x)(1 – 2x)] and write down the range of validity for this expansion [3]
    (b) Find the value of Limx>0 [(3x – x√(9 + x))/ln[(1 + 2x)(1 – 2x)]] [4]

4. (a) Why is the integral (range 0 – infinity) of (x-2)e-2x improper? [1]
    (b) Find the value of the integral, showing the limiting process used [6]

5. (a) Find the general solution of d2y/dx2 + 6dy/dx + 9 = (-36?)sin2x [7]
    (b)(i) Given that y = f(x) is a solution of the equation, y(0) = 0 and y’(0) = 0, show that y’’(0) = 0 [1]
    (b)(ii) Find the first two non-zero terms of the expansion of f(x) [3]

6. x = et, y is a function of x.
    (a) Show that the substitution x = et turns the differential equation (?) into d2y/dt2 -2dy/dt + 2y = 4t2 + 5e-t [7]
    (b) Hence find the general solution of the equation (?) [10]

7. (a) Find the area of r = 1 + cos2Θ, range –π/2 ≤ Θ ≤ π/2 [5]
    (b)(i) The curve 1 + sinΘ intersects the curve 1 + cos2Θ at the origin and point A. Find the polar coordinates of A [4]
    (b)(ii) A horizontal line through A intersects the curve 1 + cos2Θ again at B. Show that the length of OB is (√13 + 1)/4 [6]
    (b)(iii) Find the length of AB [3]
    Hey there, Do you have the exam paper or at least know what (?) is on question 6

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently revision for this as I am sitting it in the summer.
    Looking at this paper, can some one help me with question 2 please ?
    I got my general solution to be -
    y= (tan^4x + c ) / 4secx

But when I come to find c I get -1 + 8 root 2
    Can some one explain where the 7 comes from please ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxanne18)
    Hi, I'm currently revision for this as I am sitting it in the summer.
    Looking at this paper, can some one help me with question 2 please ?
    I got my general solution to be -
    y= (tan^4x + c ) / 4secx

But when I come to find c I get -1 + 8 root 2
    Can some one explain where the 7 comes from please ?
    I think you've re-arranged the equation incorrectly, after integrating you should get y*sec x=(tan^4 x)/4 + c, then substitute in y = 2 and x = pi/3 and you should get 7/4 for your + c. It's always best to substitute in your initial conditions straight after you've integrated. That's true for both C4 and FP3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLifelessRobot)
    I think you've re-arranged the equation incorrectly, after integrating you should get y*sec x=(tan^4 x)/4 + c, then substitute in y = 2 and x = pi/3 and you should get 7/4 for your + c. It's always best to substitute in your initial conditions straight after you've integrated. That's true for both C4 and FP3.
    Okay thank you, I shall try that now (:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.