Turn on thread page Beta

What makes people athiests? watch

ReputationRep:
    It must be true because it's in a book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ngb9320)
    That is all just bs
    It's true. The Bible wasn't even compiled until 325 AD.

ReputationRep:
    everyone likes to pretend to know the answers, but they simply don't like to admit they don't know. Human ego and all that.

ReputationRep:
    That is all just bs
    Nice trolling.

ReputationRep:
    Straight forward answer? No. Atheist are not mentally ill.

ReputationRep:
    "Winning an argument against a smart person is hard. Winning an argument against a stupid person is damn near impossible" - some guy.

ReputationRep:
    What's confusing is that the phrase 'ex nihilo' was coined to explain a Catholic doctrine.

And the Bible clearly starts off with nothing (except God, the eternal, yada yada).

Pretty sure most religion's creation myths start something like "God made the Earth / God cried and his tears became the Earth / God died and her body became the Earth"

None start: "In the beginning, there was some stuff. And that stuff did nothing, but not like, literally nothing because it's also impossible to do 'nothing'. Look, right: you can't have nothing. And stuff isn't created. So in the beginning, everything in the universe was already there, but in a different arrangement. The details of how an infinite amount of stuff was arranged? Not too important. Then God looked, and he saw that it could be made better, and it was so. The stuff formed the Earth, other stuff the lights in the sky. And it was good."

(Note: science does also not say the above, but it's the only rational thing that the OP could believe, I'm just pointing out that it's also not a religious stance.)

ReputationRep:
    How could there of been nothing at one point?

Seriously talk like that is signs of a psychopath.

If you want a serious discussion stop flinging insults. The title trivialises mental illness. And making a link between mental illness and bealeaf or lack there of, is needlessly provocative.

ReputationRep:
    OP as a fanatical Labour loon and now a religious nutcase somewhat lacks credibility in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    It must be true because it's in a book.
    It must not be true because dome guy in a long coat said it wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyslexicvegie)
    If you want a serious discussion stop flinging insults. The title trivialises mental illness. And making a link between mental illness and bealeaf or lack there of, is needlessly provocative.
    Looking at the criteria of mental illness- atheists fall right into that bracket with their imaginary ideologies.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the criteria of mental illness- atheists fall right into that bracket with their imaginary ideologies.
    > Atheists
    > Imaginary Ideologies

5/10 because Poe's law :stupid:

ReputationRep:
    Your problem is that the imaginary bit is a matter of opinion. Also it's not unusual for someone to believe what they are told, shown, etc atheism does not involve any form of visions or associated psychosis. Especially when the 'big bang' theory is discussed IN SCHOOLS.

The only thing you are achieving is to make the TSR community think you are (and I apologise for the political inaccuracy) 'a religious nutter' who is too far gone to be reasoned with.

over and out

ReputationRep:
    It's a conical hat and wizard robes. Both of which are more believable than anything some borderline illiterate sheep herder may have written.

No disrespect of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Atheist are illogical, irrational and nonsensical. They love talking about Big Bang theory as if it proves their is not a God. I don't care if they're atheist but they are constantly disrespecting religious people and trying to prove God does not exist. They are vile.
    It's the same thing with some religious people. However, atheists are NOT illogical, they're NOT irrational and NOT nonsensical. I find your post quiet judgmental, deterministic and close minded. You never know what drove someone to stop believing in God, you can not judge them for making such a difficult decision. Ask any atheist that transitioned from a religion to non-religion, they'll tell you how hard that decision was, to call them illogical, irrational and nonsensical because of what you don't know is very offensive and close minded. What if I turned atheist due to terminal illness, witnessing loved one die for no good reason and hardship, would that make me illogical and irrational? I think not.

To be honest, I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyslexicvegie)
    Your problem is that the imaginary bit is a matter of opinion. Also it's not unusual for someone to believe what they are told, shown, etc atheism does not involve any form of visions or associated psychosis. Especially when the 'big bang' theory is discussed IN SCHOOLS.

The only thing you are achieving is to make the TSR community think you are (and I apologise for the political inaccuracy) 'a religious nutter' who is too far gone to be reasoned with.

over and out
    I genuinely think OP is trolling. That's the only reasonable explanation for his ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    *dumb
    So yea that guy (who is probably part of a team) who went though years or research and study finding proof and checking against other peoples research isn't at all likely to be accurate...

I'm Sorry but I cannot believe a religion the misses out key points (Dinosaurs etc) and was probably written by a guy in a cave.
    Plus I am opposed to any organisation where women are not treated equally(Catholics).
    You may say that this does not link to OP's statement but he calls us mentally ill when this shows that at least some parts of religion are questionable.I of course am far too polite to even imply that these people are "mentally ill" as few of my close friends disagree and I completely accept that people opinions differ from my own unlike the OP ...

Note this just goes for Christianity I do not know enough about others to make a judgement

ReputationRep:
    Believing that you can get something out of nothing.
    What did God make everything out of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    It's the same thing with some religious people. However, atheists are NOT illogical, they're NOT irrational and NOT nonsensical. I find your post quiet judgmental, deterministic and close minded. You never know what drove someone to stop believing in God, you can not judge them for making such a difficult decision. Ask any atheist that transitioned from a religion to non-religion, they'll tell you how hard that decision was, to call them illogical, irrational and nonsensical because of what you don't know is very offensive and close minded. What if I turned atheist due to terminal illness, witnessing loved one die for no good reason and hardship, would that make me illogical and irrational? I think not.

To be honest, I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
    Yes it makes you very illogical and irrational since bad things happening does not prove God does not exist. This argument by atheists is yet another really silly one they make. I don't expect you as an atheist to understand why so once again beleive what you want but if you start disrespecting religious people then obviously we will do the same but we don't care your an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    According to Aristotle God is the unmoved mover. God literally got the ball rolling - God got the universe moving. There is not nothing before the big bang there is God.
    God is 0, the big bang is 1, the expanding universe is 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc.

I'm an atheist and mentally ill and I know that is what the OP is driving at even if the OP does not.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.