Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HuggleyDuck)
    What's the policy on having people come and visit and stay the night? I have friends going to unis in the Midlands and the North, but none close enough who could just come for the day. Would I be able to let them stay the night?
    Hello HuggleyDuck, In answer to your question you are absolutely allowed friends to stay. Whilst you're at Birmingham your halls will be your home, so you you are more than welcome to have your friends over I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me Eleanor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleanor_94)
    Hello HuggleyDuck, In answer to your question you are absolutely allowed friends to stay. Whilst you're at Birmingham your halls will be your home, so you you are more than welcome to have your friends over I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me Eleanor
    That's great, thanks for answering!

ReputationRep:
    Dam cant attend the open day in two weeks! Might be there in September.

ReputationRep:
    how far is this uni from South West London? Don't wanna go too far from home in 2016 when i hopeful go to uni(Im in year 12 now)

What are the entry requirements for psychology?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am a second year Psychology student at the University of Birmingham and I am here to answer all your questions about Birmingham! If you have questions about Accommodation, Student Life, Courses, Entry Requirements, basically anything to do with the Birmingham, I'm here to help! I will do my best to answer all your questions/concerns and if I don't know the answer I will enquire about it for you

ASK AWAY!

Eleanor
    Hello,
    I am currently in year 12 and looking to apply for psychology next year. May I ask what made you choose Birmingham over other universities and how flexible are they in their entry requirements as AAB is realistic for me but I think I may have messed up my 4th AS level in Chemistry. Finally, is there anything you dislike about the course?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iodo345)
    Hello,
    I am currently in year 12 and looking to apply for psychology next year. May I ask what made you choose Birmingham over other universities and how flexible are they in their entry requirements as AAB is realistic for me but I think I may have messed up my 4th AS level in Chemistry. Finally, is there anything you dislike about the course?

Thank you
    Hello iodo345, I was firstly attracted to Birmingham because of their rankings for Psychology. I think when i applied they were 6th in the UK (so amazing). I also chose Birmingham because of the modules they offered and the facilities they have. For example they have different brain scanning facilities such as FMRI scanners that other universities don't have. The only thing I would say I don't love about the course is the use of statistics but this is a major component of psychology when conducting research and everyone on the course I would say has a love/hate relationship with it. So you just get on with it

In terms of grade boundaries how lenient the admissions team are purely depends on the level of grades that year. But I have heard them to be lenient in the past

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask me

Eleanor

ReputationRep:
    Hello iodo345, I was firstly attracted to Birmingham because of their rankings for Psychology. I think when i applied they were 6th in the UK (so amazing). I also chose Birmingham because of the modules they offered and the facilities they have. For example they have different brain scanning facilities such as FMRI scanners that other universities don't have. The only thing I would say I don't love about the course is the use of statistics but this is a major component of psychology when conducting research and everyone on the course I would say has a love/hate relationship with it. So you just get on with it

In terms of grade boundaries how lenient the admissions team are purely depends on the level of grades that year. But I have heard them to be lenient in the past

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask me

Eleanor
    It's interesting that you say you were attracted to bham because of the subject ranking. For Geology, bhm doesn't fare too well for whatever reason, but our school told us that Russell Group unis offer a better experience for any science students because generally, they get more money and have better facilities for Scientific Research. The reasons I want to go to Birmingham are because it's ranked highly overall, it's got very high satisfaction rates, and it's a big, vibrant city.

ReputationRep:
    Hello ACH25, the timetables can change every year but from my own experience the latest a lecture may finish is around 5. But most of my lectures were done by about 3pm. Hope this helps Eleanor
    Ah okay, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    How's the nightlife in the city? I have an option to live at Pritchatts Park Village in the Global House or at Selly Oak. How is the area around the two and what have you heard of the halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChefCurry)
    How's the nightlife in the city? I have an option to live at Pritchatts Park Village in the Global House or at Selly Oak. How is the area around the two and what have you heard of the halls?
    Hello ChefCurrry, the nightlife in Birmingham is really good. Each club has its own student night on a different day of the week so there's a night out for each day of the week can I ask which accommodation in selly oak you will be staying at? Each accomodation has its own residents association which is a team of people who put on activities the throughout the year. They ensure that all students have the same experiences regardless of which am halls they are staying in. The location of Pritchatts park is closet to the vale and about a 10+ minute walk from campus. Selly oak is the town right next to campus and spending on which accomodation you're staying in it's about a 5 minute walk. Selly oak is predominantly a student town and has lots of pubs, bars, shops and supermarkets I hope this helps and feel free to ask me anymore questions Eleanor

ReputationRep:
    I still have to apply, but the location is Jarratt. But how is the nightlife around Pritchatts and is it mostly first year students?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really want to take my car to uni but all my friends have just been recently asking me where I'm expecting to keep it whilst I'm there and I guess it never really occurred to me. Will there be parking close by my halls??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1234girl567)
    Hi, I really want to take my car to uni but all my friends have just been recently asking me where I'm expecting to keep it whilst I'm there and I guess it never really occurred to me. Will there be parking close by my halls??
    Hello 1234girl, can I ask which accommodation you've applied for? There is parking available on the Vale and Pritchatts, however the university generally discourages student bringing their cars. This is because parking is limited and so you do have to pay a parking permit. The travel links in birmingham are also fantastic so you don't really need a car. There is a train station on the university campus and also one in selly oak (where most 2nd and 3rd years live). There are also really good bus services. I hope this helps. Please do few back in contact if you have any more questions Eleanor

ReputationRep:
    Do you travel by train? If so, are there any season passes for train from Coseley?

ReputationRep:
    What's the night-life like?

ReputationRep:
    hey palzz... i wud be goin to UoB for Msc in management dis september... em lil confsd abt which accommodtn to choose. my prefrence is shared flat with ensuite bedroom.... i hav shortlisted Jarratt Hall, CRM Accommodation at selly oak and iq birmingham... plzz guide me which 1 to choose.....

ReputationRep:
    Hello ChefCurrry, the nightlife in Birmingham is really good. Each club has its own student night on a different day of the week so there's a night out for each day of the week can I ask which accommodation in selly oak you will be staying at? Each accomodation has its own residents association which is a team of people who put on activities the throughout the year. They ensure that all students have the same experiences regardless of which am halls they are staying in. The location of Pritchatts park is closet to the vale and about a 10+ minute walk from campus. Selly oak is the town right next to campus and spending on which accomodation you're staying in it's about a 5 minute walk. Selly oak is predominantly a student town and has lots of pubs, bars, shops and supermarkets I hope this helps and feel free to ask me anymore questions Eleanor
    hey eleanor thanx... i also wanted to know will stayn in selly oak accomodation jarrott hall would be guud or shud i go for private accomodation at iq birmingham/crm accommodation....

ReputationRep:
    Is there a space under the beds for under-bed storage boxes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HuggleyDuck)
    Is there a space under the beds for under-bed storage boxes?
    Hello HuggleyDuck, in most of the accomodation I think there is storage space under the beds. I found it really useful to bring big plastic tubs so I could store things underneath Eleanor

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am a second year Psychology student at the University of Birmingham and I am here to answer all your questions about Birmingham! If you have questions about Accommodation, Student Life, Courses, Entry Requirements, basically anything to do with the Birmingham, I'm here to help! I will do my best to answer all your questions/concerns and if I don't know the answer I will enquire about it for you

ASK AWAY!

Eleanor
    Hi, I was wondering how much the uni cares about your gcse grades? What gcse grades did you get? Do you think they care about how many A*/As you get? I don't want to do medicne or anything like that, just English Literature. Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.