Turn on thread page Beta

Most incredible, profound advice an older person ever gave you? watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't write a check with your mouth that you can't cash with your ass

ReputationRep:
    'Despite how dark and bleak it all seems, the universe will forever shine bright'
    'Just be kind and loving, not only to others but also to you'
    'Carpe diem'

ReputationRep:
    "You'll know who's naked when the tide comes"

"You'll notice the hole once the rat's gone"

Both from gramps.

ReputationRep:
    "follow your heart, but take your brain with you"

"never depend on anyone else in life" - my mum

"always look at the actions behind peoples' words" - my mum

"if you can't help people, at least don't harm them" - my mum

Those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    Anything is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    You're taking your perspective of time and trying to make it reality.

You thinking something does not make it true. Those 10 years of your life that went by were still 3650 days, but oh, as you think it went by 'in the blink of an eye" then omg guys... don't blink 8 times or you'll be dead...

...no. Just no.

(Lemme guess, when you're bored at work let's say and you look at the time and think "urgh time is moving so slowly", that now also means that because you feel that, then time is actually moving slowly and so we are living super long right? ... *sigh*)
    Actually, one's perspective is an integral part of one's reality; the subject is as much a constituent of experience as the object. And experience is all that is real.

Our appreciation of time is relative to the length of our lives and it therefore changes over the course of our lives.

Because of this phenomenon, as we grow older, life DOES become shorter than we appreciate it to be when we are young. This is true as long as time is considered in an experiential sense (which is all that is relevant to one's direct experience) rather than in an abstract scientific sense (in which case, you can't talk of absolute independent time at all, because time is relative and intimately linked to space, as per relativity theory).

The dictum 'life is short' is an attempt to convey this phenomenon.

You seem very confused about this phenomenon that every one else seems to get.

ReputationRep:
    These are all from the TV show 'Avatar: The Last Airbender'. There's a wise old man called Uncle Iroh and some of his advice has really stuck with me.

"You will find that if you look for the light, you will often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see."

"Sometimes life is like a dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place."

"Sometimes the best way to solve your own problems is to help someone else."

"While it is always best to believe in oneself, a little help from others can be a great blessing."

ReputationRep:
    'Now listen to this, son. If you ever have power enough to exert political influence- try to remove the right of women to vote. They are both physically and mentally inferior. Politics is a man's world which women should have no part in.'

ReputationRep:
    People need to stop saying life is too short.

It is not. Just because it's a common saying does not make it true.

(except people whose life is taken from them by other people/disease).
    The time in your life when you have energy, are able to move around, and are attractive is short though. That's why you get middle aged people always saying when I was your age..

ReputationRep:
    No matter what situation you're in, always have that smile on your face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    No, it's not that at all. Life is short, even if you're bored at work. There are not enough years in someone's life to do everything they would want to do.

You claim life is long. Prove it.
    You can do everything you want to do (except hippie stuff like world peace, don't even go there) if you have money.

Thus why people should chase the money then enjoy their lives after #wallstreet #modelsandbottles #dcf #excelmonkey

...but that's a different topic.

ReputationRep:
    If you can go through life without hurting anyone or anything you've done a pretty good job. Has always stuck with me

ReputationRep:
    Quotes
    "Summer is the time to store your fruits, for the winter"

... meaning. When things are going well, set money aside etc preparing for when times will be less fortunate. Don't wait until times are bad before deciding you need to start preparing.

Also "Double down on what works"

... meaning if you're doing something that is working. Do is twice as often. Whether it be talking to someone, something at work, reading... etc. If it works do it more.
    (Most people do the opposite and focus on things that are not working and neglect what is working).
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    You can do everything you want to do (except hippie stuff like world peace, don't even go there) if you have money.

Thus why people should chase the money then enjoy their lives after #wallstreet #modelsandbottles #dcf #excelmonkey

...but that's a different topic.
    People would therefore end up wasting their life chasing money. I think we'll agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Always start again.

When things don't go right, start again.
    You had a fight with someone? Forgive and start again.
    You're having a bad day? Take a moment and then start again.

Wish more people did that, sometimes it can make a huge difference. It has taught me that bad days often are just so because I can't let them go and start again.

ReputationRep:
    "Don't cry, they don't deserve you anyway"

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.