Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody else dreaming of living in £1million house in London? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Where I live (Bethnal Green, towards Shoreditch), literally every piece of land bigger than a car is having something built on it, the majority of those things are big apartment towers with £2m+ apartments in them.

Basically the whole of London is transforming into a Dubai-style apartment complex for the rich, with many of the apartments empty as they were bought by international speculators and hedge funds for purely monetary gain purposes.

Meanwhile, the poor are more marginalised than ever and grow more numerous... Boris pretended to care when he was elected, but has concentrated on visiting property shows in places like China, to promote the sell-off of London, his interests in the City and Mayfair hedge funds and his campaign to replace Cameron with a proper Tory like him who is happy to say he only cares about the rich.
    I was in the Dalston area at the weekend and passed some dreary looking ex-council homes on a non-descript street - £700k ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I was in the Dalston area at the weekend and passed some dreary looking ex-council homes on a non-descript street - £700k ffs.
    Yeah, Dalston Jct is a hotspot, but there are plenty more - basically everything along the Overground is a boomtown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    leicester = lots of indians
    the uni has lots of chinese if im not mistaken
    That has nothing to do with why I wouldn't want to live in a city. But yes, it is a very multicultural area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Couldn't have said it better myself :five:

If you like outdoor sports and hobbies The North has The South well and truly beaten.
    Aye, it is great up here for stuff like that.

Although London is great for arts and culture, and the continent is pretty close if you are into travelling.

ReputationRep:
    I don't dream of living in a £1 million house in London, mainly because I would be lucky to buy a moderately-sized flat with that amount of money (and who dreams of living in a flat?)

Make it £10 million.

ReputationRep:
    I could go on for years about how much I love London but for the sake of revision I won't. I live with parents in Hampstead but will be going to uni in 2 years- houses on my road are around £2-3 mil but which is relatively cheap but further down I'm sure one was £70 mil but one of the baths apparently cost half a million! We did inherit the house though, but the majority of old lefties have been bought out by foreign wealth now 😥

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Dalston Jct is a hotspot, but there are plenty more - basically everything along the Overground is a boomtown.
    Unlike in Asian cities, the authorities in London (and homeowners too) are very reluctant to sanction building upwards. That's part of the problemo. Also the fact that commonholders have cr4ppy rights.

ReputationRep:
    Eeeegh. Not really into London...if I have enough money for that I'd certainly buy my own land and a house, not some ****e flat. But I mean I wouldn't mind staying there for like a getaway. Residing permanently or long-term, nope. I am a city gal though & love city life but if I had 1mil oh I'd leave the city!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    lool yes. Loads of derelict buildings but I suppose they're going through a gentrification soon, like eventually put up some condos or a trendy cafe shop

ReputationRep:
    I went to a city once, it was horrible so I'll take a cottage in the scottish highlands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Unlike in Asian cities, the authorities in London (and homeowners too) are very reluctant to sanction building upwards. That's part of the problemo. Also the fact that commonholders have cr4ppy rights.
    I've never understood why London doesn't allow building upwards? Every other major city in the world does. London will always have a chronic problem unless it builds upwards. And I'm pretty sure if London built 20 towers of 50 floors each that'd be the housing crisis solved overnight, hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1 mil can get u wot in london (talking about the nicer areas), A studio?

I'll pass.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get the fascination with living in London. It's an overcrowded, polluted place that's quickly turning into a playground for the rich.The property prices are ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    I've never understood why London doesn't allow building upwards? Every other major city in the world does. London will always have a chronic problem unless it builds upwards. And I'm pretty sure if London built 20 towers of 50 floors each that'd be the housing crisis solved overnight, hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    NIMBYism.

"Waaah, I want to be able to see a cricket pitch from my kitchen window despite not understanding the rules of the game...."

ReputationRep:
    I will plant my castle somewhere in Cheshire.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Where I live (Bethnal Green, towards Shoreditch), literally every piece of land bigger than a car is having something built on it, the majority of those things are big apartment towers with £2m+ apartments in them.

Basically the whole of London is transforming into a Dubai-style apartment complex for the rich, with many of the apartments empty as they were bought by international speculators and hedge funds for purely monetary gain purposes.

Meanwhile, the poor are more marginalised than ever and grow more numerous... Boris pretended to care when he was elected, but has concentrated on visiting property shows in places like China, to promote the sell-off of London, his interests in the City and Mayfair hedge funds and his campaign to replace Cameron with a proper Tory like him who is happy to say he only cares about the rich.
    Same things are happening over at New Southgate, where I live.

At first, things looked promising and there were affordable apartments with good City links. Until some bozo thought it was a good idea to open a Greggs directly beneath the apartments, diminishing its value. If I want to live above the shops, I'd choose Hampstead, not New Southgate.

Pure greed, nothing else.

And something which is actually not right - go to the last station in Zone 6 and it's still not affordable but go just one station outside the zones and the house prices decrease very drastically. May be all well and good but the differences in season ticket prices become enormous.

ReputationRep:
    If i had a couple of million then i may buy a second apartment in London but it's not really a massive goal of mine.

My current plans are..

1) Buy parents council house using right to buy - about £50k, house value is above £110k.

2) Buy apartment in Leeds City Center - Average 2 bedroom in LS1 according to Zoopla is £173k.

3) Replace one of the above with another in Manchester (should i chase a higher salary) or Nottingham (should i want to move closer to London).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Far fewer opportunities to make that kind of money elsewhere.
    USA you got plenty of places like that. I'd be off to Cali, better weather too. In the UK London is best city by far though.

(Original post by shoriffmiah)
    Screw London its all about America, Los Angeles,California and New York.
    San Fransisco, CA is better, you got the beaches and the pacific ocean for the view, LA California does have a few dodgy areas like Compton but San Fran is like the westside version of Manhattan, just classy all the way. If I have money I'm moving quickly to the states. I'd prefer Cali over New York cos weather init but prefer both over london easily.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    If i had a couple of million then i may buy a second apartment in London but it's not really a massive goal of mine.My current plans are..1) Buy parents council house using right to buy - about £50k, house value is above £110k.2) Buy apartment in Leeds City Center - Average 2 bedroom in LS1 according to Zoopla is £173k.3) Replace one of the above with another in Manchester (should i chase a higher salary) or Nottingham (should i want to move closer to London).
    Lol I got similar plans too.If you want to move closer to london might as well live there or go somewhere very near like Kent. Really not worth it otherwise when you can just go for a weekend.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to live abroad anyway

ReputationRep:
    no thanks, ill stick to my four bed country bungalow

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.