Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm really struggling with structuring my essay! Do people do separate paragraphs for form, structure & language or just construct the paragraphs based on the comparisons you've found between texts?!

Also, what kind of things should you talk about for the A04 context? And should you talk about context in each paragraph?

(sorry for all the questions, I am just so confused! Also, I'm new to TSR so have no idea if I've written this in the right place haha)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzieee96)
    Please will you send me an attachment of the exemplar essays

Thanks
    ^ me too please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwritebooks)
    Hi everyone. I'm sitting this exam this year, I've been getting into Band 4 consistently on my exam prep questions and my teacher has faith in me but I'm ridiculously nervous for this exam. Sometimes I get overwhelmed that I will forget all the quotes I've learnt etc. I found out last week that I got an A in my coursework which isn't too bad. For the exam I have been doing past papers every day, remembering (or at least trying to) wider reading quotes and focusing on context, gosh I'm nervous. I have History A2 on 8th June too! It's all a little crazy. I also bought a book which is called 'Oxford Student Texts : Love Through The Ages' which is helpful. My wider reading is as follows:
    Novel - The Handmaid's Tale, Great Gatsby, Thousand Splendid Sons, Sons and Lovers.
    Drama - The Glass Menagerie, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet
    Poetry - Marvell and Donne (Metaphysical), Shakespeare, Browning, Rosetti, Jennings, Carol Ann Duffy.
    A couple of other points, I don't think there's been two prose extracts in Q1 in all the past papers I've done? Two drama and three poems.
    How do people structure their essays? I do Intro (Brief comparison and possibly context), Main body (Make a point about first text, link two texts and talk about second text, compare similarities/differences, link to wider reading and possibly reaffirm argument) and repeat this for point two. Plus I try to include context where necessary.
    My teacher gave the class some exemplar answers if anybody is lacking in them I could try and send them over an attachment? The writing is crazy so It takes a few reads to understand .
    Good luck everyone and P.s. Try to stay calm-ish.
    Could I also have copies of the exemplar answers please?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I'm sitting this exam this year, I've been getting into Band 4 consistently on my exam prep questions and my teacher has faith in me but I'm ridiculously nervous for this exam. Sometimes I get overwhelmed that I will forget all the quotes I've learnt etc. I found out last week that I got an A in my coursework which isn't too bad. For the exam I have been doing past papers every day, remembering (or at least trying to) wider reading quotes and focusing on context, gosh I'm nervous. I have History A2 on 8th June too! It's all a little crazy. I also bought a book which is called 'Oxford Student Texts : Love Through The Ages' which is helpful. My wider reading is as follows:
    Novel - The Handmaid's Tale, Great Gatsby, Thousand Splendid Sons, Sons and Lovers.
    Drama - The Glass Menagerie, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet
    Poetry - Marvell and Donne (Metaphysical), Shakespeare, Browning, Rosetti, Jennings, Carol Ann Duffy.
    A couple of other points, I don't think there's been two prose extracts in Q1 in all the past papers I've done? Two drama and three poems.
    How do people structure their essays? I do Intro (Brief comparison and possibly context), Main body (Make a point about first text, link two texts and talk about second text, compare similarities/differences, link to wider reading and possibly reaffirm argument) and repeat this for point two. Plus I try to include context where necessary.
    My teacher gave the class some exemplar answers if anybody is lacking in them I could try and send them over an attachment? The writing is crazy so It takes a few reads to understand .
    Good luck everyone and P.s. Try to stay calm-ish.
    Please could you send me the exemplar essays please? I can pm you my email if that's easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I was just hoping to see whether the themes for which I'm gonna be memorising quotes cover all possible themes:

So I'm currently going for:
    UNREQUITED,
    EROTIC,
    ROMANTIC,
    DESTRUCTIVE NATURE OF LOVE
    FAMILIAL LOVE
    PLATONIC LOVE

Tbh, I've written familial love and platonic love, but I actually need help with good quotes for these two themes. Has anyone got any? Actually, if there's any way you guys could link in all your quotes, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone could send me an examplar essay/ one they have written and is good.. I would be eternally grateful !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaoctavia)
    If anyone could send me an examplar essay/ one they have written and is good.. I would be eternally grateful !
    There are some here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3155347&page=5

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Good luck with your exams

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions for the exam? Like what genres will be in which question and what the theme will be for Q2??

ReputationRep:
    BUMP!
    Hi guys,

I was just hoping to see whether the themes for which I'm gonna be memorising quotes cover all possible themes:

So I'm currently going for:
    UNREQUITED,
    EROTIC,
    ROMANTIC,
    DESTRUCTIVE NATURE OF LOVE
    FAMILIAL LOVE
    PLATONIC LOVE

Tbh, I've written familial love and platonic love, but I actually need help with good quotes for these two themes. Has anyone got any? Actually, if there's any way you guys could link in all your quotes, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Can I just add, nowhere in the spec does it specify that you have to quote wider reading in order to gain the marks, all it specifies is that you must make relevant reference to wider reading. I've seen a number of exemplars with 40/40 that don't use a single quote from wider reading, they tended to compare themes and occasionally how the form/structure/language of the wider reading reference relates to the passage. The most important part in the words of my teachers is making sure your WR is relevant and that you add to the essay by including these references, quotes or no quotes.

One thing to bear in mind however, is that by the end of the paper you should have made WR reference to all of Poetry, Prose and Drama. You should never make reference to any Genre if it is not in the extract (i.e. never have a WR reference to drama or prose if the extracts are both poetry). Ultimately, your performance is most heavily reliant on your knowledge of analysing literature and writing a good essay under timed conditions. I have a quote bank of 30 examples for poetry, 20 for drama and 15 for prose. My teacher told me this was far too many and suggested having 5-10 solid examples for each.

Another thing he told my class was to only reference context when it is suitable and when you can make a good point from it, that will add to your argument. Also making sure the basics are covered; punctuation, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, structure (intro, main, conclusion).

This exam is quite competitive and the UMS to Raw mark ratio is still fairly high so it's probably the exam that worries me the most. That being said, lets hope the extracts we're given allow for good interpretation and in depth analysis because it makes our lives much easier
    Yeah I have done the most typical idle teen thing and not revised much, so I'm praying referencing wider reading is as good as quoting!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I found this video on youtube that I think is really helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUP...ndex=5&list=WL

ReputationRep:
    How is the revision going everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhy18)
    Hi guys,

I'm really struggling with structuring my essay! Do people do separate paragraphs for form, structure & language or just construct the paragraphs based on the comparisons you've found between texts?!

Also, what kind of things should you talk about for the A04 context? And should you talk about context in each paragraph?

(sorry for all the questions, I am just so confused! Also, I'm new to TSR so have no idea if I've written this in the right place haha)

Thanks!
    I usually include FSL in each paragraph. For context, I don't think you are required to mention it too often... Just make sure the examiner acknowledges you are aware of the time period and what was happening. Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    I usually include FSL in each paragraph. For context, I don't think you are required to mention it too often... Just make sure the examiner acknowledges you are aware of the time period and what was happening. Good luck !
    Thanks so much! Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaoctavia)
    My teacher said this was a good piece, if anybody has any criticisms/comments please say!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Love Through The Ages.docx (13.1 KB, 265 views)

ReputationRep:
    How many quotes is everyone learning? I was thinking approx 30 - 10 for each genre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMouseyS)
    How many quotes is everyone learning? I was thinking approx 30 - 10 for each genre?
    Sounds reasonable!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what percentage this exam is worth out of the whole a2. I got an a in this years coursework but am worried about the exam. Would really like a b overall (got a b last year and 2 high a's for coursework)

ReputationRep:
    So to revise i have:
    - Learned wider reading quotes
    - Mindsmapped possible themes and quotes to use
    - Learnt context for periods

What else could be done?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.