Turn on thread page Beta

Calling someone fat isn't bullying... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
    Calling a fat person fat isn't bullying. I don't understand why this is classed as being not sociably acceptable and taken so seriously. If a person is fat surely I am just stateing facts? At what point did we become to scared to say the truth and have to tip toe around the truth.
    God this is so ignorant! Why would you just go out of your way to offend someone? Because you must see how someone could get offended by you calling them fat while inciting all this hate around being overweight. Which, to be honest, I'm getting sort of Nazi-ish vibes off you, the way you sound towards people with weight issues, is how Hitler sounded when talking about disabled or Jewish people.
    How overweight does someone have to be until they get classed as 'fat'?
    I think you'll find that to have gastric band surgery on the NHS you usually have to be morbidly obese. And when people are that overweight I think they have to have some kind of mental illness, so no it's not their choice and if it was that easy for them to lose weight then they probably would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Have a read of http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10158229.html

There's a lot of terrible information out there about correlation of BMI and various conditions. It's a very poor measure - especially the way it is grouped into 4 categories.
    Hah! I'm going to live forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everyone1)
    Its not hard to gag your self, take your touth brush and scrub the bavk of uour tounge and gag about 4 times by then you would have barfed. Water diet get a cup and drink water all the time it is healthy and will fill you up but it lacks the nutrients the body needs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Except for the fact after not eating for around 3 days you get severe cravings, purging smells so people notice and puking blood isn't very fun/socially acceptable, plus it hurts. After 7 days drinking water you get headaches, fatigue and passing out which eventually gets in the way of doing anything. It's very difficult to sustain just drinking water for more then a 2 weeks because you can't even get out of bed (im assuming a normal sized person is doing this). So I think it would take a mental health problem to make yourself this ill, a normal person wouldn't end up doing anything like that too loose weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    dumb thread

ReputationRep:
    Anyone responding to this thread: Fat pigs are people too (wipes tears with takeaway menu)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    dumb thread
    Wow that was such a well thought out argument 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookBird)
    Saying someone is fat is not bullying. Putting down someone for being fat is bullying. Pointing out that someone is fat in a condescending and judgmental manner is bullying. Implying that being fat means you're not beautiful is bullying.
    What kind of conversation playsout as someone being called fat without being condescending or judgemental. Especially in a school environment? Again, this thread is dumb af...

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely correct that calling someone fat isn't bullying. However it depends on the frequency and tone of how you say it. If you're stating it as a simple fact in a blunt tone then that's not bullying whatsoever and if you're fat and know you're fat and can't stand it when somebody else states it, then that's on you. But if you call someone fat in a negative way then that's not very nice lol.

For example, I know someone and we both joke about each others weight, some people just don't like to accept it but the sooner you accept that you're fat, or skinny, or whatever, the better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by GroovyLu)
    It's absolutely correct that calling someone fat isn't bullying. However it depends on the frequency and tone of how you say it. (...)
    Absolutely right. It is okay to say this word to be honest to someone, but it is not okay to say it to harm someone verbally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    What kind of conversation playsout as someone being called fat without being condescending or judgemental. Especially in a school environment? Again, this thread is dumb af...
    I call my brother fat, he calls me fat, I call my friends fat, we call each other fat... are we being condescending or judgmental? Not at all, in fact we're being affectionate. Kinda like when girl friends call each other "*****", they don't mean it in a condescending way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Unlike smoking or drinking, many fat people aren't fat because of a choice they've made necessarily. For instance someone might be depressed or have a joint condition to take two common examples. I put on 50lbs from a medication in a month so saying every fat person is a "glutton" is pretty shortsighted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats most unfortunate. However the issue is most people who are fat are indeed fat by choice so those who aren't are labelled in the same group. If the majority of fat people had a medical disorder the minority who didn't want to would be considered medically ill. In order to remove the stigma people need to remove the cause thereof

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LOL @ OP
    I don't see what good would come from calling someone fat. Fat people have eyes, they already know they're fat. Stop acting as if you're doing them a favour, dumb boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookBird)
    I call my brother fat, he calls me fat, I call my friends fat, we call each other fat... are we being condescending or judgmental? Not at all, in fact we're being affectionate. Kinda like when girl friends call each other "*****", they don't mean it in a condescending way.
    We aren't talking about friends tho are we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    LOL @ OP
    I don't see what good would come from calling someone fat. Fat people have eyes, they already know they're fat. Stop acting as if you're doing them a favour, dumb boy.
    Except fat people don't see what's WRONG with being fat. The desire to fit in is especially strong amongst teenagers and if people were actually allowed to fat-Shame (instead of encourage every body is beautiful campaigns) that desire to not be part of the negatively seen group would make a lot of overweight people at least try to loose the weight. Obesity is a serious problem that affects the whole of the UK at every age group, cushioning the fact it will kill you (long before the smoking and drinking does) means people can keep on dismissing how big they are,so 'I'm just focused on work right now' leads them to become overweight, 'I will start loosing weight after the new year (because it isn't THAT urgent)' turns overweight into obese, 'I can't do exercise its too difficult, it's not my fault I'm this fat I can't exercise and I can't stop eating' causes death. If people were actually truthful in the beginning and it wasn't seen as a taboo thing to call someone fat then the morbidly obese people might have turned their lives around long before it gets to the point of 'addiction' or before they got 'too big to exercise'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not bullying, it's constructive criticism.

ReputationRep:
    completely agree. it's an adjective, no one screams bully when we call people skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
    Calling a fat person fat isn't bullying. I don't understand why this is classed as being not sociably acceptable and taken so seriously. If a person is fat surely I am just stateing facts? At what point did we become to scared to say the truth and have to tip toe around the truth.
    It depends how it's done doesn't it. Calling someone fat can be bullying in certain scenarios.

I agree that 'fat' has become an offensive word though, and that this is somewhat bizarre seeing as overweight people are literally fat, they have more fat on their bodies, it is an accurate description.

Perhaps it is because people have used the word 'fat' to bully people, that it has become an offensive word - I'm reminded of the fact that the St George's cross is sometimes seen as racist, when it is simply our country's flag, but has unfortunately been hijacked by racists and so has come to represent those people. Perhaps the word 'fat' has been hijacked by bullies in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everyone1)
    Its not hard to gag your self, take your touth brush and scrub the bavk of uour tounge and gag about 4 times by then you would have barfed. Water diet get a cup and drink water all the time it is healthy and will fill you up but it lacks the nutrients the body needs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what you're describing is an eating disorder, and contrary to what the misinformed public (read: people who have zero experience of EDs) believes, these serious and often fatal psychiatric illnesses are hardly ever caused by name calling. telling someone they are fat is not enough to trigger a complex mental illness that has its roots primarily in genetic predisposition and/or comorbid disorders. many people have been called fat at some point in their lives, and the majority of them do not immediately contract a mental illness, as you seem to be implying.

ReputationRep:
    What if I point out to someone that they're too thin for their own good?

Which is quite common in this skeleton-obsessed society where ''models'' look like they're about to kick the bucket as they stroll up and down the catwalk looking like one of the undead. Or like they have the body of a young child/Elderly person.

Also, when you say ''calling someone fat'' do you mean maybe telling one of your friends that you think it would be healthy for them to lose weight, or do you mean just calling someone fat that you don't really know?

As for using the reason that it costs the NHS money as an excuse for being obnoxious, well, we could spin that any way couldn't we. Fat people, thin people, people who compusively exercise too much, people who play semi-dangerous sports, people who work in dangerous trades. Just an idiotic argument that's designed little around concern for the NHS and those involved and more around making it ok to sit in pompous arrogant high judgement of other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frida.)
    no one screams bully when we call people skinny.
    It's not really bullying unless it's repetetive and targeted.

However, in my opinion, calling someone skinny who you don't know could be deemed offensive, or at least rude. Amongst friends it's different.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.