Turn on thread page Beta

Speaker’s Statement: Clarification of Post-VONC Proceedings watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The third point is wrong, the constitution was amended but not updated.

Also I agree that there should be no government, there isn't a stable combination that I can see happening other then a grand coalition.
    In other words, you think there should be no government because you don't like the alternative? Were you also at the post election protests in London because you didn't get the result you wanted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Also I agree that there should be no government, there isn't a stable combination that I can see happening other then a grand coalition.
    So why does that mean there should be no government, given that there is a stable combination according to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    As already discussed, it doesn't actually, that was amended a while back, it states that it will go to a 7 day coalition negotiation period and that the same coalition cannot come back, so I guess we could even, in theory, go back to Lib-Lab
    (Original post by Aph)
    I wasn't aware of that, but I take the third point back. Methinks the speaker should do his job and update the constitution.

(Original post by Aph)

Maybe there isn't. But real life parliaments have periods of instability and come out fine at the end of them. I don't see why we wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    What's the difference? Someone being too lazy or careless to change a wiki page? Changes to the Constitution are made by passing a constitutional amendment. Once the poll is closed, the amendment comes into power.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Burford99)
    So why does that mean there should be no government, given that there is a stable combination according to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because that won't happen.

In other words, you think there should be no government because you don't like the alternative? Were you also at the post election protests in London because you didn't get the result you wanted?
    The alternative is another failed government and 3 failed governments in one term is a bit much don't you think?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)

The alternative is another failed government and 3 failed governments in one term is a bit much don't you think?
    That's a rather bold statement to be making.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    What's the difference? Someone being too lazy or careless to change a wiki page? Changes to the Constitution are made by passing a constitutional amendment. Once the poll is closed, the amendment comes into power.
    I don't know what you mean? I'm not implying that it isn't in force just that it isn't as easy to find. I stated that the amendment was in effect
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Well best we would see is con/kip which would be 19 seats certainly not stable.
    That's a rather bold statement to be making.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well best we would see is con/kip which would be 19 seats certainly not stable.
    What exactly constitutes "best"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I don't know what you mean? I'm not implying that it isn't in force just that it isn't as easy to find. I stated that the amendment was in effect
    In that case I take it back, sorry. I didn't notice that his statement was incorrect and interpreted your response differently.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    What exactly constitutes "best"?
    Most seats.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Most seats.
    There are lots of other options
    All parties
    All but one party
    All but two parties
    Con/Lab and two other parties
    Lab+any other party (bar Soc)
    Con+Green
    All have more than 19 seats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

How do you know a new government would fail? Just because something doesn't look like a stable combination doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be one.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    There are lots of other options
    All parties
    All but one party
    All but two parties
    Con/Lab and two other parties
    Con+Lab
    All have more than 19 seats
    That could actually happen... Not just what is theoretically possible but what is actually likely
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    How do you know a new government would fail? Just because something doesn't look like a stable combination doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be one.
    Might I point you in the direction of the current government?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    That could actually happen... Not just what is theoretically possible but what is actually likely
    How likely they are is irrelevant since you're qualifying "best" as most seats, not most workable seats.
    That aside, why then the omission of Con-Lab, not likely, but then I somehow doubt that Con-Kip is, or any other pairing for that matter, let alone groupings.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, Aph's predictions are the last thing we were missing…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Might I point you in the direction of the current government?
    Just because one government that looked unlikely ended up being a disaster doesn't mean that another government that looks unlikely at first sight wouldn't learn from what has happened over the last month, make an effort to be better and turn out to be surprisingly stable. Besides, a fair portion of this government's woes were caused by the behaviour of certain individuals more than anything else.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Oh my, Aph's predictions are the last thing we were missing…
    Could be worse, he could try to come up with some atrocious modeling to work out how likely each outcome is, and then use poor analysis to not even get the right figures out of the model.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How likely they are is irrelevant since you're qualifying "best" as most seats, not most workable seats.
    That aside, why then the omission of Con-Lab, not likely, but then I somehow doubt that Con-Kip is, or any other pairing for that matter, let alone groupings.
    I'm counting the best as one with the most seats which is also realistic.

Con/kip is the best under that criteria as no other coalition is both likely and will have enough seats

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.