The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

I really need to start sorting out this classroom experience; I will start to email/call over the weekend/next week to arrange this...

Random finance question -- I know you get Bursary's for doing shortage subjects but you also get student finance -- do you get both or does your course fees come out of the bursary?

Cheers
Original post by TunaTunnel
Not yet, they're meeting to discuss me not needing one soon. I get a free one with Durham Uni when I voluenteer next term so I wanted to use that.

My biggest issue right now is the fact I've lost all my GCSE/A-level certificates.

Do you need your A-level/GCSE Certs? I lost them years and years ago

Do your A-Level results matter? mine were rubbish
Reply 62
Original post by Lambert87
I really need to start sorting out this classroom experience; I will start to email/call over the weekend/next week to arrange this...

Random finance question -- I know you get Bursary's for doing shortage subjects but you also get student finance -- do you get both or does your course fees come out of the bursary?

Cheers

Yes you get full student finance + any uni bursarys too. So for example I would get the Oxford bursary of £1500 due to means tested household income plus student finance plus teacher training bursary.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Yes you get full student finance + any uni bursarys too. So for example I would get the Oxford bursary of £1500 due to means tested household income plus student finance plus teacher training bursary.

Legend and helpful as usual!
Hi everyone. Great thread!!!

I'm 26, will be 27 next September. I have a BA and MA in Art where I received a first, and distinction in both. Luckily, I've managed to get quiet a it of experience whilst studying, teaching in China and the Ukraine, leading workshops with SEN children, working for the YMCA etc. I have also worked in an inderpendant secondary school for the past year, and will be doing for the next school year.

I'm in a predicament of whether to apply for a secondary art job, where I am hopeful of getting some experience in history classrooms as I have good knowledge and interests and would probably be most qualified for.

But I am attracted to the primary school side (upper years 5-6). The chance of teaching a number of subjects, and being able to work with the same group for a year appeals to me, plus my girlfriend is a primary teacher- so I have a good idea of what it is about from her.

The gender issue is slightly concerning- but I guess it could be an advantage?

Any advice would be great- thanks!! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tomvoyce4
Hi everyone. Great thread!!!

I'm 26, will be 27 next September. I have a BA and MA in Art where I received a first, and distinction in both. Luckily, I've managed to get quiet a it of experience whilst studying, teaching in China and the Ukraine, leading workshops with SEN children, working for the YMCA etc. I have also worked in an inderpendant secondary school for the past year, and will be doing for the next school year.

I'm in a predicament of whether to apply for a secondary art job, where I am hopeful of getting some experience in history classrooms as I have good knowledge and interests and would probably be most qualified for.

But I am attracted to the primary school side (upper years 5-6). The chance of teaching a number of subjects, and being able to work with the same group for a year appeals to me, plus my girlfriend is a primary teacher- so I have a good idea of what it is about from her.

The gender issue is slightly concerning- but I guess it could be an advantage?

Any advice would be great- thanks!! :smile:

I'm a fellow male, going for primary myself!

I worry about the fact it's a female dominated field lol.

You seem to have so much experience! I worry my experience won't be enough :frown:
Original post by jimbles
I'm a fellow male, going for primary myself!

I worry about the fact it's a female dominated field lol.

You seem to have so much experience! I worry my experience won't be enough :frown:

You say that- I don't really have much in the primary sector other than afew days. I'm aiming to get 10 days at least a over the next few months to back up any applications.

What types of courses are you hoping to apply for, and do you know of many funding opportunities? I know with certain grades from a degree, or with a masters you can get £9k, which essentially covers the course.

Glad to see someone else is in the same boat! :smile:
Original post by Tomvoyce4
You say that- I don't really have much in the primary sector other than afew days. I'm aiming to get 10 days at least a over the next few months to back up any applications.

What types of courses are you hoping to apply for, and do you know of many funding opportunities? I know with certain grades from a degree, or with a masters you can get £9k, which essentially covers the course.

Glad to see someone else is in the same boat! :smile:

I've worked with primary age kids at an american summer camp and coached football with them too. I just need classroom experience to be able to back it up!! I'm hoping to get the minimum of 10 days too, but I plan to continue past that into different schools and classes, to see how different schools run and different teaching methods!

I'm more than likely just going to apply for the student loans for it. I'm lucky I still live with the rents (I know, but I'm single and living alone would be too expensive!) So I don't have many outgoings !
Hi All!

I'm applying for Primary PGCE next year, but struggling to choose between universities! Really like Edge Hill, Staffordshire and Oxford Brookes (all over the place!) and still considering Newman as an option as every friend I have who's trained there raves about it. Oh, and of course, Keele (alumni). How I wish UCAS had 5 options like for UG applications!

I'm emailing every single school in my local area on Monday - I'm going to try and have at least a months worth of experience lined up, because I want to be absolutely sure teaching is for me - and it can't do my application any harm!

Also applying to volunteer as a Beanstalk reader to have something extra.

So much to do, so little time - I imagine this is what the PGCE year feels like haha!
Just booked my QTS literacy and numeracy tests.... Want to get them out of the way!

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Just booked my QTS literacy and numeracy tests.... Want to get them out of the way!

Good thinking actually! Don't they require proof of applications though? What resources are you using to practice for these?

Original post by jimbles
Good thinking actually! Don't they require proof of applications though? What resources are you using to practice for these?

Yeah I think you need proof that you've applied (e.g. a UCAS letter). I was thinking of just doing them if I get an offer.

I'm terrified of having to (possibly) do maths again though! I'm hoping that my literacy skills are okay because we lost marks at uni if we used incorrect English grammar when translating Latin.
Reply 72
Original post by Aemiliana
Yeah I think you need proof that you've applied (e.g. a UCAS letter). I was thinking of just doing them if I get an offer.

I'm terrified of having to (possibly) do maths again though! I'm hoping that my literacy skills are okay because we lost marks at uni if we used incorrect English grammar when translating Latin.

I did my maths one without an offer (1 week ago). I just turned up with some teach first email saying they wanted a phonecall ahaha, the people at the centre didnt really have a clue.
Original post by Aemiliana

If you sign up to premier plus (if your teaching a shortage subject) they accept that :-)

Original post by jimbles

On the website they have practice papers... Just going through them...

Reply 75
On the website they have practice papers... Just going through them...

https://practice.skillstestbooking.com/phoenix/s/login/show.do?theme=sta&hostname=practice.skillstestbooking.com
Cheers guys! I'll look into those. As everyone else, its mainly my maths one I'm worried about!
Hey, I'm planning on applying for Secondary History with 2016 entry and I was wondering whether to start emailing schools up for experience now or when they open after summer in a couple days? Also, how do you organize experience through SEP? Do you contact them or do they contact you?
Reply 78
Original post by edwardseo07
Hey, I'm planning on applying for Secondary History with 2016 entry and I was wondering whether to start emailing schools up for experience now or when they open after summer in a couple days? Also, how do you organize experience through SEP? Do you contact them or do they contact you?

I did one through SEP, it was really annoying to sort out. I also organised one through the Institute of Physics. I've much preferred just contacting schools myself.
Original post by edwardseo07

I emailed all the local secondary schools (found them on edu website) earlier asking.. See what they say!! The SEP thing looks crap

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending