Turn on thread page Beta

What do people think of Muslim girls that wear hijab and abaya (the long black dress) watch

(Original post by Ghaniza)
    Did you choose to dress like this personally? Or is it traditionally done in your family? Well it depends if you go to my uni i might talk to you yh. But generally i don't approach people niqab or no niqab
    It is traditionally done in my family but i'm 19 years old now and I think if I had a problem with it I would have objected against it and as an adult my parents can't really do much about that so yeah it is a personal decision

Wearing an abaya makes me feel like a princess .
    Plus, everyone I know wears it by choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    Well, niqabs and burkas should definitely be banned, because they conceal the identity and that makes it easy to commit crime/ acts of terrorism (e.g. Boston bombings). There is however no reason to object women wearing hijab etc. that don't cover their faces, even though I don't find it pleasant to see such in the non-muslim countries.
    See, you learn something new everyday.
    Oh and the guys who did the Boston bombings didn't even try to hide the faces or anything, but yeah, I kindaa get where you're coming from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wearing an abaya makes me feel like a princess .
    Plus, everyone I know wears it by choice.
    Well you don't look like a princess soooo...

And I wouldn't say choice when it's well known that the choices they make come with consequences from their family, one can be easily swayed when a choice would make family life difficult for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Danz0r123)
    So seeing as you have committed to wearing this clothing, do you wear it around the clock (obviously not sleeping) or do you take it off at home and wear like jeans or something? I don't want to sound like I'm interviewing you I'm just interested.
    Nah that's fine, ask what you want. I wear whatever at home, just wear the abaya outside

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the hijab and I don't like to see people wearing them, however I'd rather live in a world where people can choose how they dress rather than a world where the way people dress is dictated to them by some four eyed little p**ck over the Internet. I want you not to want to wear it but if you don't feel that way then it's better if you continue wearing it.Niqab shows that your making no effort settling in and your essential dehumanising yourself in order to become a martyr so that you can feel superior. It's a direct offence against feminist value which took women millions of years to achieve, you can wear a niqab but I'll always view you as a ridiculous woman who wants to dress up like a monster from a s**t episode of Dr Who and I'd lose a lot of respect for you.

ReputationRep:
    It is traditionally done in my family but i'm 19 years old now and I think if I had a problem with it I would have objected against it and as an adult my parents can't really do much about that so yeah it is a personal decision
    Well that's great, wear it how you want, your choice, does it include covering face?
    I'm Muslim btw

(Original post by AccountingBabe)
    Well you don't look like a princess soooo...

And I wouldn't say choice when it's well known that the choices they make come with consequences from their family, one can be easily swayed when a choice would make family life difficult for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL sorry boss

(Original post by Ghaniza)
    Well that's great, wear it how you want, your choice, does it include covering face?
    I'm Muslim btw
    Well asalamu alaikum! And nope simply abaya and hijab

ReputationRep:
    I've got two opinions on ur question - firstly dress and appearances are not a really good judge of one's personality, how can u dismiss someone entirely for wearing that black dress, i know we're not just one mass of jilbabs lol, we have our own characters.

but on the other hand, the hijab and dress stands for something. A male you can't just approach girls wearing hijab, cos its saying something about modesty and the segregation of the sexes, i.e. you are covering your body specifically from men - it stands that the hijab-wearer isn't going to open up easily to the opposite sex.

but for a non-muslim women don't dismiss me for wearing a hijab as its not for you anyway, we can definitely chill.

Ok to everyone who doesn't like the hijab, why?

ReputationRep:
    Well asalamu alaikum! And nope simply abaya and hijab
    Salam, you have the right to cover up just like other women have the right to reveal.
    So yes i would talk to you, if you look friendly haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissML)
    I don't have a problem with it. However it doesn't look very approachable. Someone I know doesn't like it because you can't truly see who is there, and what they could have.
    Im sure they might be confusing an abaya and niqab. You see nun wearing long dresses and head scarves, but people won't hesistate to approach them if they needed to.

ReputationRep:
    Nah that's fine, ask what you want. I wear whatever at home, just wear the abaya outside
    Do you have a lot of trouble in making friends outside of the Muslim religion? Also when you talk to people (non-Muslim) whilst wearing your outfit do you feel like they are judging you?

Personally, I never used to cover up until I was made to live in a Muslim country. This was from age 7 .I was born in England but grew up in a muslim country and went to a religious school. I came back to England aged 11 and lived with my mum and she's not very strict. She allowed me to take it off, wear shorts and ride bicycles. Something I could never do back where I lived. When I reached aged 12, I decided to start wearing hijab but with trousers, some of my family weren't happy but I didn't cover up to please them. My mum however never forced me or made me cover up, so when I turned 17, I decide to wear long skirts again and I am happy with this.

(Original post by AccountingBabe)
    Except you dress to state that men are incapable of restraint and that the female body is something to be ashamed of and hidden.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really, we dress to state that we obey God, whether men are incapable of restraint or that our bodies are something to be ashamed of is a matter of opinion.. we believe that God knows best so that's why we choose to follow that rule

It should be legally allowed but socially unacceptable. The abaya and hijab are remnants of an archaic, violent, oppressive religion founded by a child molesting pedophile warlord

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    Well, niqabs and burkas should definitely be banned, because they conceal the identity and that makes it easy to commit crime/ acts of terrorism (e.g. Boston bombings). There is however no reason to object women wearing hijab etc. that don't cover their faces, even though I don't find it pleasant to see such in the non-muslim countries.
    So what about nuns that wear clothing similar to the abaya and a headscarf?

(Original post by Danz0r123)
    Do you have a lot of trouble in making friends outside of the Muslim religion? Also when you talk to people (non-Muslim) whilst wearing your outfit do you feel like they are judging you?
    I'm not the best person to ask this because I have social issues anyway... like I kind of struggle to make friends but when I do, nope! I get along really well with non-muslim girls, and they are always nice and friendly! My closest friend in school was a muslim but was also quite friendly with a lot of non muslim girls. But omg yes sometimes I can't help but think, they must find me a lil weird because of what I'm wearing

Although I'm not against the niqab and agree that people should definitely have the right to choose what they wear, I can't help but think that it must make them somewhat antisocial since their face is covered all the time. I mean how are you supposed to meet new people or hold a conversation when the other person can't even see your face. Atleast with a hijab I can actually engage with a person and look them in the eye.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.