Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    What was your UMS for each subject at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Biology: 247
    Chemistry: 268
    Maths: 266

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm looking to apply for mathematics. I'd like to know the extent to which the personal statement is used to assess candidates, as in would you be okay if I left mine blank or wrote one that is just all round terrible? I'm not too keen on spending ages polishing a perfect personal statement and I'm wondering if that is going to have any major impact on my chances.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by imsoanonymous123)
    Hi, I'm looking to apply for mathematics. I'd like to know the extent to which the personal statement is used to assess candidates, as in would you be okay if I left mine blank or wrote one that is just all round terrible? I'm not too keen on spending ages polishing a perfect personal statement and I'm wondering if that is going to have any major impact on my chances.
    It is definitely worth putting time into your personal statement, leaving it blank would not be advisable. We are trying to get a sense of your interests, how much and what you've read in your subject, and your suitability and enthusiasm for the course you are applying for. They don't have to be exceptionally polished pieces of masterful prose, but we will use them to form an impression of you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a Spanish student currently taking the Titulo de Bachillerato and planning to apply to Engineering at Cambridge. My grades in 1º Bachillerato were 9.6 overall, with 10 in Mathematics and Technical Drawing and 9 in Physics and Chemistry. I have a few questions for you:

1. Are these results strong enough for getting an interview? If I finally were invited for interview, when would the notification be sent concerning I am Spanish?

2. When translating my school transcript, should I ask my school to translate the name of the subjects?

3. I suppose Technical Drawing will be taking into consideration, but would a conditional offer include it in the subject requirements? I acknowledge it is not a common subject in the UK, yet here it is considered basic for any prospective student for an Engineering or Architecture course.

4. During 1º Bachillerato Physics and Chemistry are just one subject. In 2º I will take both Physics and Chemistry as different subjects. Would an offer include both Physics and Chemistry in its subject requirements or only Physics considering I scored 9 in 1º?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Feracero, thanks for your questions. I'd answer them as follows.

1. The decision to call someone to interview is made by the admissions tutor and director of studies at the college you are applying to, but speaking personally I think your Bachillerato results are strong and you would likely be called. Looking though past offers to Spanish Engineernig students, I see an example that asked for an average score of 9 with 9,9,9 in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry ( 2º ).

2. Yes, that would be helpful thank you.

3. Again, this would depend on the individual assessment of the College but I would think for engineering mathematics, physics and chemistry would be most important and your offer would likely contain these. The Engineering course at Cambridge is very mathematics and science based. There is not a specific A-level in the UK in technical drawing.

4. Offers would be based on your final exam grades, so would likely have Physics and Chemistry as seperate subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Cambridge)
    Thanks for your question Lesmisgirl. We assign quintiles based on A level UMS scores so that Admissions Tutors at the various Colleges can see how their applicants compare with the gathered field across the University. Students in the B quintile for instance will have marks that are in the top 40% of applicants for their subject.

Students who apply from a non A-level background are not included in this ranking, but this neither advantages nor disadvantages them. We have very high numbers of IB students applying to Cambridge so we have a good feeling on how to gauge IB achievement. A score of 43 with a 776 in HL subjects is strong and I would think that your daughter would be a competitive applicant for AMES.

At Corpus for instance our offer holders this year achieved between 41 and 44 on their IB. The interview would still form part of our decision making process of course, but would be no more or less important than for any other applicant.
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I would just like to say I am impressed with Cambridge's transparent admissions process.
    I have one more question, which is: if one is applying for Asian and Middle Eastern studies and is specifying in Arabic and French, then does one need to know for the interview about (for example) Japanese or Chinese culture or simply the Arabic and French impact on Asia and the Middle East?

ReputationRep:
    Hello once again!

I dont know if I stated this correctly in my last question, but my AP macroeconomics score of 2 is what I currently have and I am retaking it for this year with an actual economics class. Do you still think I will be hurt in the application process since I am retaking the test and I am predicted a 5 for this year? My other scores include a 34 on the ACT , 5s on both World History and English Language, 4s on US History and Calculus AB, and 3s on Chemistry and Environmental Science. I also have a predicted 5 on everything for this year (over 8 tests).

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am an international student living in the UK. My status as an international student is likely to change to a home student during the course of my studies at university. Would the university then allow me to pay the 'normal' fees (like all home students) or would I still have to pay international fees (since I would have entered as one)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!I am a Danish student, that are applying for the 2016 entry. I fit the minimum requriment of 10 as an average with mine being 10,3. The subject I wish to study is political science. I took social studies as an A-level and received two B's in my year grades (oral and written). During the exams I recirved a C in my written work, but I got an A orally. Generally my grades are 30% A's 60% B's and 10% C's. Is it totally impossible for me to get in?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am prospective undergraduate student from India for the year 2016. I read the university's details regarding interview of the applicants but couldn't find any information related to my country. I wanted to know if getting interviewed provides an advantage and also what is the deadline to submit my UCAS and COPA application if I am to be considered for an interview.
    Also, as I am in the 12th grade I wanted to know till which grade does the university require my transcript to be?

Thank You.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by UGstudent)
    Hi, I am prospective undergraduate student from India for the year 2016. I read the university's details regarding interview of the applicants but couldn't find any information related to my country. I wanted to know if getting interviewed provides an advantage and also what is the deadline to submit my UCAS and COPA application if I am to be considered for an interview.
    Also, as I am in the 12th grade I wanted to know till which grade does the university require my transcript to be?

Thank You.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/india

Dates etc are all on the Cambridge web site.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...tion-timetable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just wanted to ask how competitive the music course is at Cambridge in general? Do most applicants get to atleast interview stage when they apply?
    Do certain subject combos matter when applying for music or is having music A-level all we need? I know i'll be doing music, english, biology and math .
    Would I have to be on grade 8 on my main instrument by the time I apply. I know most applicants will be grade 8 instrumentalists but would I be at a disadvantage if I'm not?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Also, for your psychology course... What would make a candidate competitive other than their academic record?

Is relevant work experience and reading around the subject good? And are the A- levels: biology, math, English and music good subjects combinations for a psychology course at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lesmisgirl)
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I would just like to say I am impressed with Cambridge's transparent admissions process.
    I have one more question, which is: if one is applying for Asian and Middle Eastern studies and is specifying in Arabic and French, then does one need to know for the interview about (for example) Japanese or Chinese culture or simply the Arabic and French impact on Asia and the Middle East?
    Thanks Lesmisgirl for you question. In admissions interviews we would not expect you to have detailed knowledge of a subject that you have not yet studied in school nor read about on your own time. If you encounter something you have not seen before, the interviewers will usually give you suggestions and guidance on how to approach the question.

It is definitely worth thinking about the structure of the AMES course, and specifically which papers you wish to study as the number of possible combinations is high and the interviewers will hope that you have thought about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skycolor)
    Hello once again!

I dont know if I stated this correctly in my last question, but my AP macroeconomics score of 2 is what I currently have and I am retaking it for this year with an actual economics class. Do you still think I will be hurt in the application process since I am retaking the test and I am predicted a 5 for this year? My other scores include a 34 on the ACT , 5s on both World History and English Language, 4s on US History and Calculus AB, and 3s on Chemistry and Environmental Science. I also have a predicted 5 on everything for this year (over 8 tests).
    Your score on the ACT is good, as we normally ask for an ACT of 32 or above (congratulations!) My worry is that your APs might be a bit low. We normally ask for 5 or more APs with a score of 5 in the most relevant subjects. For economics the most relevant subjects would probably be mathematics, economics, US and world history and possibly numerate sciences like chemistry. From your grades I am not clear how you would be able to meet this target. Sorry to not be more encouraging.

If you do end up applying I would make sure that you mention that you self-studied for the AP macro economics and that you are retaking it in the Supplementary Application Questionnaire (SAQ), as admissions tutors will wonder why the mark is low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuckle)
    Hi,

I am an international student living in the UK. My status as an international student is likely to change to a home student during the course of my studies at university. Would the university then allow me to pay the 'normal' fees (like all home students) or would I still have to pay international fees (since I would have entered as one)?
    Thanks for your question chuckle, it is an interesting one. If you are assessed as an international student at the start of your course, you will unfortunately have to pay international fees for the duration of your degree. One option might be to take a gap year or apply for deferred entry and wait until you achieve home fees status before starting your degree, so that you can pay home fees throughout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danishgirl19)
    Hi!I am a Danish student, that are applying for the 2016 entry. I fit the minimum requriment of 10 as an average with mine being 10,3. The subject I wish to study is political science. I took social studies as an A-level and received two B's in my year grades (oral and written). During the exams I recirved a C in my written work, but I got an A orally. Generally my grades are 30% A's 60% B's and 10% C's. Is it totally impossible for me to get in?
    Hi Danishgirl19 and thanks for your question. Our standard minimum offers for students taking the Højere Forberedelseseksamen / Studentereksamen would be based on an overall score of 10 with a grade 12 in relevant subjects. Did you manage to score 12's in subjects that are relevant to HSPS? That would be helpful to your application.

If international students are also taking A-levels in addition to their home degrees, we would also hope that they are achieving at a level similar to their UK counterparts, namely A's and A*'s. In your case I would worry that your A-level in social sciences is a bit low. What was your final grade in that A-level, a B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGstudent)

Thank You.
    Hello UGstudent and thanks for your question. All of our admissions decisions are based on interviews as well as school marks and other factors, so you would need to be interviewed. Until recently we sent an interview team to India, but unfortunately this ceased last year, so the nearest place you could receive an interview would probably be Singapore. If you want to be interviewed here, note that you need to have your COPA and UCAS form submitted by Sept. 20.

Note that for applicants from India we normally consider those studying from the IB or international A-level curriculum. Applications from students taking CBSE or ISC Class XII examinations will be considered but only for the following courses: Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Natural Sciences.

More information on our requirements for Indian students can be found here:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/india

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayooo)
    Hi, I just wanted to ask how competitive the music course is at Cambridge in general? Do most applicants get to atleast interview stage when they apply?
    Do certain subject combos matter when applying for music or is having music A-level all we need? I know i'll be doing music, english, biology and math .
    Would I have to be on grade 8 on my main instrument by the time I apply. I know most applicants will be grade 8 instrumentalists but would I be at a disadvantage if I'm not?

Thanks
    Hi Ayooo. In general we interview around 85% of our applicants, essentially anyone who is on course to meet our minimum offer, or who has sufficient extenuating circumstances to explain why they may fall short.

Last year 152 applied for music and 69 received offers.

The only required subject for music is A-level music or the equivalent (not surprising I think). Your other A-levels look fine to me. Many students will have grade 8 on an instrument, but not all so I don't think you would be at a significant disadvantage. The Cambridge course is weighted towards composition and theory and those skills will be tested at interview.

See, for more info:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayooo)
    Also, for your psychology course... What would make a candidate competitive other than their academic record?

Is relevant work experience and reading around the subject good? And are the A- levels: biology, math, English and music good subjects combinations for a psychology course at Cambridge?
    The academic record is an important factor to us. We would also hope that students have a clear enthusiasm for their course and have spent time reading around their subject.

For psychology, there are no specific A-level requirements so your choices looks fine to me. Work experience is certainly desirable for some courses, like medicine and veterinary sciences. For others it is less important or not important at all. For psychology I would suggest that reading books or listening to online lectures or podcasts in psychology would be more important than any work experience.

See here for more info:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...oural-sciences

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.