Turn on thread page Beta

Hip Hop and old school rnb anyone? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a massive fan of most of the artists mentioned, some which deserve a mention include Ashanti, Janet Jackson, amerie etc.

Old school hip hop is my favourite of the sort but it's always so tedious when you get these rap historians going on about how biggie was God and similar nonsense. They're so blinded by nostalgia they can't appreciate great artists in the present.

ReputationRep:
    don't like anyone in your list....sorry

De' best are :

2pac
    Eminem
    Eazy-E
    Dre
    And a little bit of Drake

ReputationRep:
    old school hip hip such as

Biggie
    Nas
    Big L
    snoop dogg
    dr dre

They were amazing but rap is **** now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadiseFound)
    Old school hip hop is my favourite of the sort but it's always so tedious when you get these rap historians going on about how biggie was God and similar nonsense. They're so blinded by nostalgia they can't appreciate great artists in the present.
    Artists in the past decade better than Biggie, go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    I disagree with 'more fondly than is justified'. That aside, would you give me a few recommendations for the cream of the past decade; I would like to hear your opinion?
    One example is Straight Outta Compton, the title track is a classic and there are a couple of other good tracks on the album but I don't think it's the bona fide classic people say it is. With the film out now as well I'm seeing loads of these new NWA fans on it's ****. The second album was better for me. Look how people are bumming Eazy E now.

And ones I actually listen to:

El-P, Run The Jewels, Big Boi, Clipse, Black Milk, Dilla, Killer Mike, Shabazz Palaces, Danny Brown, Apollo Brown (loads of other MMG artists as well), Action Bronson, The Roots (Game Theory & Undun), Oddisee, Azalea Banks... loads more but I'm posting from my phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    One example is Straight Outta Compton, the title track is a classic and there are a couple of other good tracks on the album but I don't think it's the bona fide classic people say it is. With the film out now as well I'm seeing loads of these new NWA fans on it's ****. The second album was better for me. Look how people are bumming Eazy E now.

And ones I actually listen to:

El-P, Run The Jewels, Big Boi, Clipse, Black Milk, Dilla, Killer Mike, Shabazz Palaces, Danny Brown, Apollo Brown (loads of other MMG artists as well), Action Bronson, The Roots (Game Theory & Undun), Oddisee, Azalea Banks... loads more but I'm posting from my phone.
    I disagree with your estimation of Straight Outta Compton for two reasons: contextually, getting as big as it did and making the waves that it did was ground breaking; secondly, efil4zaggiN didn't have the lyrical genius of Ice Cube.
    Either way, I respect your opinion and I'm not saying you're wrong.

My point about hip hop turning to **** was more directed at what gets pushed the most, compared with BITD (but perhaps that has more to do with how music is consumed these days). On top of that, I wasn't saying that there aren't still great artist doing it (in my original comment I was mentioning MF Doom), just that, in my experience, there are fewer examples of promise from people that have come on the scene in the past ten years or so.
    I appreciate you compiling that short list though; I'll check out the ones I've not heard of.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with your estimation of Straight Outta Compton for two reasons: contextually, getting as big as it did and making the waves that it did was ground breaking; secondly, efil4zaggiN didn't have the lyrical genius of Ice Cube.
    Either way, I respect your opinion and I'm not saying you're wrong.
    Cool, I get all of that but it's just not that fun to listen to, the arguments are more about the impact than the music itself. Do you still listen to anything off it? I don't listen to NWA for the lyrics personally (same could be said about G Funk in general). Dre's production is a lot better on N4L as he started to develop that G Funk sound, there are about five tracks (Real Niggaz Don't Die, Niggaz 4 Life, Appetite For Destruction, Alwayz Into Something, Real Niggaz) that I prefer over anything on SOC. Alwayz Into Something is one of the most G Funk sounding tracks I've ever heard. Though after One Less ***** as Cube said they just pushed it too far.

My point about hip hop turning to **** was more directed at what gets pushed the most, compared with BITD (but perhaps that has more to do with how music is consumed these days). On top of that, I wasn't saying that there aren't still great artist doing it (in my original comment I was mentioning MF Doom), just that, in my experience, there are fewer examples of promise from people that have come on the scene in the past ten years or so.
    I appreciate you compiling that short list though; I'll check out the ones I've not heard of.
    I see what you're saying but isn't that always the way? There was some awful stuff in the 90s.

I've repped you for the discussion, the music forum is usually top 5 lists and Youtube videos.

ReputationRep:
    Aaliyah,Ashanti,Destiney Child,Usher,Neyo and Alicia Keys,Cassie,Amerie and 2004-2006 Ciara.Thats for me old school r&b

ReputationRep:
    I'm a massive fan of most of the artists mentioned, some which deserve a mention include Ashanti, Janet Jackson, amerie etc.

e.g Kendrick Lamar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghaniza)
    Who LOVES hiphop?

-J.Cole
    -Tupac
    -Kendrick Lamar
    -Kanye West
    - Ja Rule back in the day
    -Nicki Minaj

Massive J.Cole fan btw and love Kendricks 'blacker the berry' track, and the rest of the artists you'd probably know well

Also old school/rnb? R.Kelly, Avant,T-Pain, Usher, Mariah Carey Mario, Beyonce, Rihanna and oh yeah AKON!

Grew up listening to the golden music and still do to this day, wbu?
    I always listen to Aaliyah,but I feel like some r&b artists are bringing back the nostalgia,but in a different approach(alt-r&b),like Frank Ocean,Miguel and Tinashe,and indie artis,like Rochelle Jordan which she sounds like a ghost of Aaliyah.I also like most of the artists you covered but Nicki?,I think Azealia Banks brings that nostalgic feeling back for instance her 1991 ep,she is dope as hell.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, I get all of that but it's just not that fun to listen to, the arguments are more about the impact than the music itself. Do you still listen to anything off it?
    Shouldn't the impact of a work of art count for more than the technical aspect of its production when judging its position in history? idk. Although, with other works of art that are similar in that respect, I can see it falling (slowly) further from grace as the years go on. And, no, to be perfectly honest I can't say I've listened to a single track off SOC in about two years. Ha ha!

Alwayz Into Something is one of the most G Funk sounding tracks I've ever heard.
    lol most certainly agreed.

There was some awful stuff in the 90s.
    Yes there was, I just feel the crap was far more heavily outweighed by the gold than it is now (in terms of what's in the mainstream). This may partly be down to a case of rose tinted glasses, but if you have a look at a few charts here and there, most played videos, rap #1s etc., then rose tinted glasses is far from a conclusive explanation.

I've repped you for the discussion, the music forum is usually top 5 lists and Youtube videos.
    Thanks! Yeah, I know threads similar to that, they're all over the internet!

ReputationRep:
    Artists in the past decade better than Biggie, go!
    There is no "better" so stop in your attempts to reduce an art form to binary means. What music does for you may differ to what it does to another person, only reason you get such distinctive icons as biggie is because you get masses of people on their dicks who refuse to open their minds to other forms of expression.

Your taking it way too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    There is no "better" so stop in your attempts to reduce an art form to binary means. What music does for you may differ to what it does to another person, only reason you get such distinctive icons as biggie is because you get masses of people on their dicks who refuse to open their minds to other forms of expression.

Your taking it way too seriously.
    I'm asking you for suggestions, you thick c**t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ne1Aaron)
    I always listen to Aaliyah,but I feel like some r&b artists are bringing back the nostalgia,but in a different approach(alt-r&b),like Frank Ocean,Miguel and Tinashe,and indie artis,like Rochelle Jordan which she sounds like a ghost of Aaliyah.I also like most of the artists you covered but Nicki?,I think Azealia Banks brings that nostalgic feeling back for instance her 1991 ep,she is dope as hell.
    Aaliyah - rock the boat is my favourite.
    Yeah i honestly feel like artists like Frank Ocean - eyes like blue gave me so ,
    much inspiration to start my creative writing again, love his work, artists like Miguel and childish Gambino, J. Cole, Kendrick are bringing back what we truly appreciated in music back then. I like Nicki i think she's getting far as a female pop/rap artist only one i can see rn.
    I haven't heard alot from Azealia but think i'll check it out.

Sean PAUL, Joe, 50 too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin122)
    Two of my favourite genres.

Mostly love old school hip hop - A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, N.W.A, any Gang Starr stuff however as previously stated Kendrick is amazing. Love "Momma" off his new album. Common's "Be" is one of my favourite rap albums ever from the new-ish gen. In fact anything that came out of Kanye's record label at the time is great such as John Legend's debut and (obviously) Late Registration.

As far as R&B is concerned I'm a big neo-soul fan, D'Angelo is probably my favourite artist of all time. Erykah Badu, Frank Ocean, Maxwell, Dwele... Also recently discovered more Soulquarian-era stuff so Common's "Like Water For Chocolate", The Roots' "Things Fall Apart".

Love anything to do with Pharrell - old school Neptunes is my ****. LL Cool J's "Luv U Better" is such a jam.
    Can't believe i left John Legend and Pharrell out, they'e been in the industry for so long and only now people noticing them.
    Frank ocean and D'Angelo both give me nostalgia even though it's different time periods
    -Lloyd to, Static Major, Sean Garrett -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin122)
    Two of my favourite genres.

Mostly love old school hip hop - A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, N.W.A, any Gang Starr stuff however as previously stated Kendrick is amazing. Love "Momma" off his new album. Common's "Be" is one of my favourite rap albums ever from the new-ish gen. In fact anything that came out of Kanye's record label at the time is great such as John Legend's debut and (obviously) Late Registration.

As far as R&B is concerned I'm a big neo-soul fan, D'Angelo is probably my favourite artist of all time. Erykah Badu, Frank Ocean, Maxwell, Dwele... Also recently discovered more Soulquarian-era stuff so Common's "Like Water For Chocolate", The Roots' "Things Fall Apart".

Love anything to do with Pharrell - old school Neptunes is my ****. LL Cool J's "Luv U Better" is such a jam.
    Can't believe i left John Legend and Pharrell out, they'e been in the industry for so long and only now people noticing them.
    Frank ocean and D'Angelo both give me nostalgia even though it's different time periods
    -Lloyd to, Static Major, Sean Garrett -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZSHNZ)
    Doubt you'd find a bigger Cole fan than me.
    Also huge fan of Chance, Gambino, Usher, TI, Kendrick, Kanye, BIG, 50, Pac Nas etc etc I listen to a LOT. Too many to list.

Dreamville do new school rap better than anyone imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol a bigger fan than you is ME
    Yup his older albums are on repeat still, and yeah i love all the artists above

ReputationRep:

Janet Jackson and Ashanti yes love them growing up
    Yeah ikr people forget that other artists are also putting out great music which can stand along the great artists of the past decade.
    Frank Ocean, Gambino, J.Cole, Miguel

ReputationRep:
    Notorious Big
    WU tang Clan
    Ol Dirty *******
    EPMD
    Fu Schnickens
    Erick B and Rakim
    Cypress Hill
    Heavy D and the Boys
    Gangstarr
    D-12
    Ludacris
    Bone thugs N harmony
    Snoooooooooooop Mutha Fu*** Dogg
    Dr Dre
    Dela Soul
    Q-Tip
    Dax Efx
    Red man n Method man.
    Coolio
    Geto Boys
    Lauren Hill
    Fugees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestWingmanEver)
    Any song by Kanye is sick- Flashing lights and Heartless are both pretty old-school (and great tunes), I can't wait for him to release his new album though
    Yes Kanyes Heartless gives me the kinda nostalgia that makes me wish i could travel back in time, also all time fav Kanyes // Love Lockdown

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.