The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I'm an international student looking to apply to the UK for 2016 entry for Medicine. I applied last year to the institutions that do not accept UKCAT and did not get accepted (i.e. Bristol and Liverpool).

My IGCSE grades are 5A*'s, 3A's and 3 Distinctions (Cambridge Outstanding Learner Award)
AS: AABB (Physics, Bio, Chemistry and Mathematics)
A2: AAA (Chem, Phys, Bio - confirmed result)

UKCAT: 677.5, SJT Band 2

Before I took my UKCAT, I was thinking of King's (got accepted for neurology last year) however I understand that enrollment for Medicine is much more difficult.

Should I apply to QMUL? SGUL is definitely on my list. Being an international student, I would rather apply to universities in larger cities of the UK. If any could assist me in this matter, I would be very grateful, thanks in advance!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Have you contacted Uni's you are interested in to ask how they will treat your GCSEs? Because as baseline stats, your GCSEs are not likely to be good enough for Oxford or Nottingham (in combination with your UKCAT), but if they can tell you what allowances they may make for your schools performance level, it will be easier to give advice.

Hello! I'm so sorry to ask you this as you've probably had a lot of questions like this. I had a really low UKCAT score of 653. I'm an international applicant. Please help me. I'm extremely sad about the UKCAT, which is as follows:
VR 590
QR 710
AR 670
DA 640
SJT Band 2

IGCSE 8A*
AS 4A (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Bio, with 90% + UMS in the first three and 88% UMS in Bio)
A2 Predicted 4A*

Please please please help me... I want to go to a uni close to or in London. Thank you so much in advance...
Original post by GANFYD
Birmingham, Cardiff, QUB would like your GCSE results. Birmingham is using 70% academics (which I am guessing you will have full, or nearly full, marks in) and 30% UKCAT which will be based in centiles (your score would have been in the 8th centile last year and in 2012-in 2013, scores were all inflated)
Leicester, Manchester, Aberdeen, HYMS, Dundee, Nottingham and UEA would like your combination of academics and what is actually a pretty good UKCAT, but, as pointed out previously, you would need to work out your score for Leicester (cut off 59.5 last year) and Nottingham (cut off was weird as SJT was messed up, but you should be able to get an idea from last years thread-bear in mind Nottingham also scores PS, which can be a bit of a lottery). Aberdeen use predicted A2 + UKCAT and then carry this score forward to be used as 50% of the post interview score to decide who will be offered a place, so with your predicted A2s, you would score very highly there. Manchester rank on UKCAT (check threads here for last year's cut off), then score PS.
I suspect you would meet Plymouths UKCAT cut off (check the "how the Unis use the UKCAT" document for past years cut offs, bearing in mind 2 years ago was artificially high.
Your UKCAT will not be enough for the UKCAT big boys, I suspect, ie Newcastle/Durham, Kings, Southampton or Exeter, although Exeter apparently allow a lower UKCAT score for people with lots of A*s predicted at A2, so might be worth a punt if you really liked it.
I would pick 1 BMAT Uni if you want to as you will not have the result until after you put your application in, and good GCSEs and A levels does not necessarily equate to a good result in aptitude tests.
Then, if you want to be safe, you would score very highly and be very likely to get an interview at QUB, Leicester, HYMS, Aberdeen, Birmingham, Dundee and, if you want to add the uncertainty of PS ranking in, then Cardiff, Nottingham, Manchester, UEA, Glasgow. I suspect your UKCAT will be in the top 20% or higher (remember, it is a normal distribution curve!) and with such good academics, I doubt anywhere is out of reach for you, except the UKCAT big boys, though if it were me, I would not want to be relying on the subjectivity of PS assessment given such good stats. Good luck

Edit: Just checked Plymouth cut offs, and don't know your individual scores but looks like you would have made the cut off for 2012 and 2013, and check the thread here for last year

Hi, I noticed that you are giving very good advice, so I was wondering if you could help me at all on my course choices?
Scottish Highers:
Maths B :s-smilie:
English A
Chemistry A
Biology A
French A

Currently doing Scottish Advanced Highers:
Chemistry
Biology
French
and Higher Economics

My UKCAT Results:
VR 670
QR 640
AR 720
DA 690
SJT Band 2
So average 680
Total score 2720 :biggrin:
And other than that my teachers have said my personal statement is outstanding, I've done loads of volunteering, work experience, care home job etc.

Any advice at all on choices would be very much appreciated! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Oxford is always a risk as the competition is so high, and you do not sit your BMAT until after you put your application in, so a considerable portion of your stats are"blind".
Edinburgh is incredibly competitive too, and your UKCAT would not be particularly high for them, plus they place quite a bit of emphasis on your PS, which is always subjective.
Manchester rank UKCAT then PS
Sheffield have a threshold UKCAT and then score PS.
This would seem to me to be too many risky choices to me when you have good enough stats to be reasonably confident of interviews at other places.
I would be looking at Leicester, Birmingham, HYMS, SGUL, QUB, Aberdeen, Dundee, Plymouth as some safer choices mixed with your favourite of the riskier ones.
Good luck

Hey, I was wondering if you could possibly also give me some advice. I have: 7A*, 4A GCSEs; A*AAa achieved A Levels; 650 band 2 UKCAT. I am going to do BMAT for Leeds as got an interview there last year. I've been looking at HYMS, UEA, Birmingham, Leicester and Liverpool- but I'm really not good at weighing it all up.
Also, does anybody ACTUALLY know how Liverpool will use UKCAT?
Thanks
Reply 64
Hi, just done my UKCAT and got very low score of 625.5.. VR and DA went really bad!!
VR - 540
QR - 730
AR - 670
DA - 550
SJT - Band 3

My AS levels are my strong point:
Maths - A Biology - A Economics - A Chemistry -B

My GCSE's however werent as good with 6 A's 4 B's 1 C and 1 D

Neeed help on what unis will be the best for me.. will be doing BMAT as well to boost my chances.. I have had work experience placements in hospitals and GP's as well as having participated in charities in school.
My first instinct for you is Bristol...they don't look at any admissions test and focus primarily on your personal statement so your charity work and experience will help you a lot!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 66
So I just sat my UKCAT, got an average of 675.
VR - 560
QR - 770
AR - 710
DA - 660
SJ - Band 3
I planned on applying to Cardiff and Barts/QMUL as my UKCAT Universities.
My stats are 8 A*s and 1 A at GCSE
AAAB at AS (Phys, chemistry, bio, maths respectively)
Predicted 3 A*s.
Personal statement is quite strong since I've attended an international summer school at stanford uni studying bioscience on scholarship.

Do I stand a chance of getting an interview? If not, any alternative universities which would be more likely to consider me?
Hello, wondering if anyone can help me choose where to apply!

I have a 2:1 in Biology
A.levels: B chemistry
B physics
B biology

UKCAT: 652

I am thinking sheffield, manchester, keele. Then not sure where else to apply too. Any help would be great!!! Thanks
Hey there,
A friend of mine has got 602.5 in UKCAT average, 2 A*s at GCSE's and 4 5 A's and 3 B's. Also has AABC at AS in P.E, Chemistry, Maths and Biology respectively. He dropped the Maths (B) and is predicted AAA in Chemistry, Biology and P.E. He has applied for Manchester as one of his choices, what are the chances he will be rejected before interview? Thanks!!
Original post by Michy101
Hey there,
A friend of mine has got 602.5 in UKCAT average, 2 A*s at GCSE's and 4 5 A's and 3 B's. Also has AABC at AS in P.E, Chemistry, Maths and Biology respectively. He dropped the Maths (B) and is predicted AAA in Chemistry, Biology and P.E. He has applied for Manchester as one of his choices, what are the chances he will be rejected before interview? Thanks!!

Your 'friend' is very unlikely to get an interview at Manchester unless he has a geodemographic/educational/been in care flag, and even then still unlikely to get an interview.
Look at the table below, if he doesn't have any of the above flags he will be in the 'no contextual flags' column:

Original post by not you
Your 'friend' is very unlikely to get an interview at Manchester unless he has a geodemographic/educational/been in care flag, and even then still unlikely to get an interview.
Look at the table below, if he doesn't have any of the above flags he will be in the 'no contextual flags' column:

Thanks for the reply. It is my friend haha as I can't decide between Dentistry/medicine so I will take a gap year and the decide next year. And he does have a WP flag for his area so I hope he gets in this year!
This seems to be a compilation of how all the different universities use the UKCAT this year..

How universities use the UKCAT
Original post by GANFYD
Birmingham, Cardiff, QUB would like your GCSE results. Birmingham is using 70% academics (which I am guessing you will have full, or nearly full, marks in) and 30% UKCAT which will be based in centiles (your score would have been in the 8th centile last year and in 2012-in 2013, scores were all inflated)

Im currently using medify and just got 630 average and band 1 in a mock. I think i need to use flagging more to help with timing, but any other advice on how to get my score up would be really welcome? I have 9A*sAB at GCSE, AAAA at AS and predicted A*A*A at A2. Have my UKCAT in 2 days!!! What sort of unis would be best to apply to with a score around that? If i got 650 in my real UKCAT, would there be any point in applying to manchester, glasgow or sheffield? Not too fussed about the UKCAT big boys you mentioned. Thanks
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Im currently using medify and just got 630 average and band 1 in a mock. I think i need to use flagging more to help with timing, but any other advice on how to get my score up would be really welcome? I have 9A*sAB at GCSE, AAAA at AS and predicted A*A*A at A2. Have my UKCAT in 2 days!!! What sort of unis would be best to apply to with a score around that? If i got 650 in my real UKCAT, would there be any point in applying to manchester, glasgow or sheffield? Not too fussed about the UKCAT big boys you mentioned. Thanks

Very good stats, might as well try the GCSE heavy unis.

650 might be enough for Manchester but idk, 700 would be safe.

Good luck anyway!
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Very good stats, might as well try the GCSE heavy unis.

650 might be enough for Manchester but idk, 700 would be safe.

Good luck anyway!

Thanks! Which are the GCSE heavy unis? I know QUB and Cardiff are fond of that aspect of the application.
Reply 75
hi all!!

I have 10 A* at GCSE & am predicted A* maths, A biology and A chemistry for A level (have dropped history after L6)

my UKCAT score is a bit low, average 630...
VR 590
QR 650
AR 650
SJT band 2

I have good work experience hospitals, GP, volunteering at an infants school and 18 months working in a care home - so good personal statement and lots to talk about at interview!!

was thinking of applying to Leeds, Birmingham, Cardiff and possibly Nottingham as my fourth.

is my UKCAT score too low for Nottingham and possibly Birmingham though?!

please help!!!! thank you!!
Original post by flashvin
Dear All, I did my UKCAT yesterday and was quite disappointed when i received a score of 690 (SJT band 1), as I felt that i should and was capable of getting much higher. My other stats so far have been good. I received 10 A* at GCSE and 4 high As at A level ( so getting predicted 4 A*), and prior to doing UKCAT i had my hopes on UCL Cardiff Birmingham and Nottingham (was thinking of oxford too in the place of UCL perhaps). I know that Nottingham look a fair bit at the UKCAT, which is a shame because i really liked it and i Know that Birmingham does too now :frown: I quite like Leeds aswell and I am aware that it uses the BMAT. Can anyone who has knowledge on this area i.e. if you recently applied for medicine or are in the process of going to for 2016 entry, could you give me advice on whether you think that my UKCAT score is so low for Nottingham that it would be better for me to apply to Leeds instead and risk having two BMAT universities if i apply with UCL (or oxford). Also how would my chances at getting an interview with Birmingham fare now that they use ukcat.

Thanks all x

690 band 1 is absolutely amazing very well done on a great UKCAT score, yes it does rule out some of the incredibly UKCAT heavy medical schools such as newcastle and southampton, but you have a load to chose from trust me! Dont look at the averages on here.

You will get very likely get an interview at Cardiff and birmingham with your stats so I would go for those two, obviously UCL is the BMAT so do that if you want to (not that you need to with those stats and UKCAT), Nottingham may be slightly more risky but if you love it take the risk.

Other choices great for you include KCL, Leicester, HYMS, QUB... you really dont need to worry!

All the best,

Natalie x
Original post by dulce_ecstasy
My stats:
VR: 560, QR: 790, AR: 570, DA: 610, SJT: Band 1, Average: 632.5
GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B - The B was english language. This was at an underachieving school with only 45% of pupils getting 5+ A*-C including English and Maths
AS: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, History A
Predictions: Biology A*, Chemistry A, Maths A
I've done lots of work experience/volunteering. Three week-long placements in hospitals, a week in a GP and volunteering when I could in a nursing home since this time last year. However, I only have one extra curricular, which is gospel choir, but I do a lot in it (competitions and stuff).I was thinking of applying to Oxford, UCL and Nottingham? Haven't decided on my fourth yet.. Anyone have any recommendations for a fourth or some better choices?Thanks!

Hi, I'm applying for 2017 entry and I have similar stats to you, especially with the same subjects. I got 637 UKCAT, and was wondering if you did take the BMAT? Where did you apply? May I ask if you got any offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Michy101
Thanks for the reply. It is my friend haha as I can't decide between Dentistry/medicine so I will take a gap year and the decide next year. And he does have a WP flag for his area so I hope he gets in this year!

May I ask if your friend got any offers? Did he do BMAT? I have 637 and 6A*s 4As at GCSE with an AAA/A*AA prediction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dulce_ecstasy
My stats:
VR: 560, QR: 790, AR: 570, DA: 610, SJT: Band 1, Average: 632.5
GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B - The B was english language. This was at an underachieving school with only 45% of pupils getting 5+ A*-C including English and Maths
AS: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, History A
Predictions: Biology A*, Chemistry A, Maths A
I've done lots of work experience/volunteering. Three week-long placements in hospitals, a week in a GP and volunteering when I could in a nursing home since this time last year. However, I only have one extra curricular, which is gospel choir, but I do a lot in it (competitions and stuff).I was thinking of applying to Oxford, UCL and Nottingham? Haven't decided on my fourth yet.. Anyone have any recommendations for a fourth or some better choices?Thanks!

I hope you don't mind me asking how it went since your UKCAT score and academic profile is quite similar to mine? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending