Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetalAlchemist)
    I was watching the news today, and I looked into this "Sexism Row" discussion.

A female lawyer accused a male lawyer for being sexist, because he gave her a compliment. He said that her picture is "stunning" and was highly offended by this comment.

Now, she has made it a big deal to the point where it's on National TV and she is still trying justify herself on why the comment is sexist.

The male lawyer is also being shamed on television, because of it!!!!

I think it's a ridiculous accusation.

What do you think about this?
    I am really sorry but I think feminist has gone too far. It's like a women calling a man handsome (would men make a big issue about it). She is stunning but her personality Sucks! Attention. Seeker. She didn't have to go to the papers.

ReputationRep:
    Shamed for not complimenting a woman, shamed if you do compliment a woman.

I swear, it's only the radical/white/western feminist who do this. It's getting a ridiculous, having to stoop so low to get attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Nobody cares when a mother says "look at my son he's handsome".
    You used it in the wrong context. A father can say his daughter is beautiful. That's acceptable.

But calling your own daughter hot is quite...disturbing. The word "hot" is used sexually most of the time.

It would be equally as weird if a mother called her son "hot".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    It amazes me how people who are evidently very intelligent
    By what metric are you measuring or trying to quantify intelligence here? I know a lot of people in corporate jobs who think they're intelligent but in fact they're borderline moronic to the extent that I honestly don't know how they actually cope in the real world without someone looking after them.

(Original post by redferry)
    Women in male dominated workplaces have to put up with this **** constantly, when will people understand that a) we couldn't give a flying **** what you think about our looks and b) professional environments are not the place to hit on people.

It's not the same for men, it just isn't. My partner used to work somewhere dominated by older women. People treated him as a professional equal and he wasn't hit on once.
    Yes it is. I used to work in a female dominated profession and the women would constantly ***** about men and make horrible off the cuff comments. Also, I've been in unisex hairdressers full of women where they're doing the same, making inappropriate comments and commenting on my appearance etc. - usually older women but still. At the end of the day, people just need to get over themselves - those comments in work and the hairdressers never ruined my life and I just got on with things.

(Original post by Josb)
    "A partner in one of the UK’s largest criminal law firms suggested Miss Proudman would be ‘blacklisted’ by solicitors. "

Good riddance.
    Yep. She's quite obviously brought the profession into disrepute. Even if she found his comments to be unprofessional, she should have went through the appropriate channels, reported the matter and had it dealt with in house. Instead, she's contributed to the creation of a media **** storm and she should not be free from the fallout of it all.

Both acted unprofessionally yet this thread is full of people, albeit about 2 or 3, who have not acknowledged this. It just tells you where societal bias lies these days.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid feminists like her are ruining everything for the rest of the adult female population. Now men are going to feel like they cant compliment women in case they get the same response. She'll be dying to receive compliments when she's past her prime lol.

ReputationRep:
    Do' forget that he is married. This could be classed as cheating...

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=MetalAlchemist;59250251]I was watching the news today, and I looked into this "Sexism Row" discussion.

A female lawyer accused a male lawyer for being sexist, because he gave her a compliment. He said that her picture is "stunning" and was highly offended by this comment.

Now, she has made it a big deal to the point where it's on National TV and she is still trying justify herself on why the comment is sexist.

The male lawyer is also being shamed on television, because of it!!!!

I think it's a ridiculous accusation.

What do you think about this?[ QUOTE]

I do defend Charlotte Proudman's stance. It was an unprofessional and sexist comment/letter.

However, what I do find rather silly is the fact that she made this exchange so public. It's almost as if she wanted 10 seconds of fame.

ReputationRep:
    What is she complaining about? More than anything she should be pleased.

On a side note, the man commented on his daughter's photo saying that 'she's hot', which is more creepy sounding to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    You don't make uninvited personal comments to or about work colleagues. End of story.
    Well I can say the same about women who call me handsome, good looking, gorgeous etc (I don't call it offensive- it's a compliment) plus I wouldn't want to work with anybody who is mobid and a extreme feminist - end of!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
    Do' forget that he is married. This could be classed as cheating...
    I don't bloody think so- it's a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bassbabe)
    Stupid feminists like her are ruining everything for the rest of the adult female population. Now men are going to feel like they cant compliment women in case they get the same response. She'll be dying to receive compliments when she's past her prime lol.
    I totally agree- well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam280297)
    Absolutely ridiculous
    Telling someone that they have a 'stunning picture' isn't sexist at all. Just goes to show you how far some people will take sexism. It's not like he said anything misogynistic about her, it was a simple compliment. If a man can't even compliment a woman anymore, what can we do. It's as if breathing will antagonise some feminists.
    Actually yes it is. Linkedin is not for that kind of thing. It is a place for a persons achievements/profession not thier looks.

(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    When will (some) men take responsibility for the things they say?

They're seems to be a mentality of 'I'm not the one targeted by this comment but I don't find it offensive so you shouldn't'. When someone says something is discriminatory and you are not in the demographic that the comment was towards you need to apologise and learn from it. Not reiterate your comment and say people are 'too sensitive'.
    But he did apologise for it.

(Original post by Josb)
    It will be even harder for her to receive 'messages asking if she wants a job at hedge funds'. Who would want to employ a person who whines in the national press when someone says she's "stunning"?
    They wont, even she has said that she thinks shes committing career suicide. And she is, man or woman doing this would kill thier career. Not only is she now in the limelight for the wrong reasons but the bloke is quite a bigwig in professional circumstances. If he chooses to get nasty he can make a few phone calls and shes going to end up a no name ambulance chasing desk clerk.

Ok granted he shouldnt have said it on that sit. I agree with that, but this now being headline news is totally over the top. He made a comment (which was not lewd of sexual or nasty, merely complimentary) she didnt like it, she responded and he apologised. That should have been it.

But instead its all over the media, hes looking like a peeping tom perv and shes looking like a frothing at the mouth lunatic. Niether are coming off well but she is going to come off a lot worse career wise. You dont walk into a profession like law and start spouting your mouth like this. Simply put she has no power base to go toe to toe with guy in some online feminist vs chauvinist debacle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salon)
    I don't bloody think so- it's a compliment.
    I'm quite sure that's cheating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaTaLiiA513)
    Shamed for not complimenting a woman, shamed if you do compliment a woman.

I swear, it's only the radical/white/western feminist who do this. It's getting a ridiculous, having to stoop so low to get attention.
    I totally agree. It's like some women want any excuse to belittle men (successful men). Clearly she was looking for any excuse to make this into a bigger thing than it is. I hope now the legal soceity distance themselves from her- I wouldn't want to b working with her. She is dangerous and callus and I wouldn't trust her one bit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite sure that's cheating.
    You clearly have never been cheated on then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salon)
    You clearly have never been cheated on then
    I've never really been in a romantic relationship but I don't believe it's okay to say nice things about other people's bodies and/or faces if you're someone's romantic partner.

ReputationRep:
    I've never really been in a romantic relationship but I don't believe it's okay to say nice things about other people's bodies and/or faces if you're someone's romantic partner.
    Clearly you need to live a little. I am always complimenting others and I will continue to do as a male.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salon)
    Clearly you need to live a little. I am always complimenting others and I will continue to do as a male.
    I feel sorry for any partners you have or may have....

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for any partners you have or may have....
    My partner loves me. We both complement others and they love it.

Ha ha

ReputationRep:
    It is sexist to comment on a women's appearance (whether 'positive' or negative) in the workplace (or actually anywhere that it's unsolicited). Women constantly have their appearances judged ahead of their achievements. Women seen as 'conventionally attractive' are told they only got their job due to their appearance (and often people suggest they had sex with their boss to get hired/promoted) but their abilities are overlooked because 'beautiful women can't be intelligent'. Whilst women who are not seen as meeting societies standard of beauty are told to 'wear more make-up', 'lose weight', wear more revealing clothes' but are then viewed as 'vain bimbos' if they do so. If you would not comment on the same aspect of a man's appearance in the same circumstances you are objectifying women.
    It is wrong, but it is not sexist at all. All those points you made were assumptions of what the man was thinking at the time. Who says beautiful women can't be intelligent? You're accepting the same stereotype that feminists are trying to erase and prevent. And then you say that we're the ones being sexist. The point of Feminism is to stand up to an unfair society, not to try and fit into it.

It is Inappropriate to comment on a women's appearance (whether 'positive' or negative) in the workplace (or actually anywhere that it's unsolicited)
    Is the correct sentence for this situation.

If you would not comment on the same aspect of a man's appearance in the same circumstances you are objectifying women.
    That statement makes no sense. That's like saying that if I'm not willing to have sex with another man, then I am objectifying women.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.