Turn on thread page Beta

Can Corbyn win the 2020 election? watch

• View Poll Results: Can Jeremy Corbyn win the 2020 election?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    I am probably showing a complete lack of knowledge, but why can't the Falklands return to Argentina? Is that not what the residents want, and would it hurt our economy? (genuinely asking)
    The Falklands was a British territory before the country Argentina even existed!

99.999% of the Falklands residents voted to remain part of Britain.

(Original post by Ezme39)
    and I thought getting rid of Trident in favour of different defences was not a bad move, and would lead to a safer world- why do you feel this is wrong?
    Can you tell me how we would be safer with no nuclear deterrent? (The clue is in the last word)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Can you tell me how we would be safer with no nuclear deterrent? (The clue is in the last word)
    the thing with nuclear weapons is that nobody is ever going to use them, as we all know if one person did it would turn into nuclear war, whats the point in spending £100billion on something we wont ever use? wouldnt it be better to use that money for things which actually benefit our citizens?

ReputationRep:
    The Tories do it to gain votes, Corbyn does it because he actually thinks its a smart idea. I'm against anybody doing QE.

Are you taking the piss? The NHS is not efficient. It can never be efficient because it has no competition. Whether somebody gets treated or not, it doesn't matter because the NHS will not disappear. If a private company becomes inefficient it will cease to exist.

I would like to see railways have a system where multiple companies can run services.

They won't be paying more tax, so if they stay it'll be due to their accountants.

You think this raving left looney is only going to increase tax on businesses by 5%?
    Well his official policy is 0.5%
    Not having competition does not equate to something being efficient. Th NHS regularly scores very highly on global tables. Unlike private businesses - profits are reinvested back into the service rather then leached out.

And yes privatisation in theory is good- but in reality it just leads to monopolies. How many different services run trains from Manchester to London? And just look how expensive train prices are- they've risen far faster and higher then wages have.

Railway nationalisation is something supported on both the left and right.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    He apparently has a big following among young voters. There hasn't been a beardy middle-aged man that's been so successful with youngsters since Rolf Harris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    the thing with nuclear weapons is that nobody is ever going to use them, as we all know if one person did it would turn into nuclear war, whats the point in spending £100billion on something we wont ever use? wouldnt it be better to use that money for things which actually benefit our citizens?
    You have just justified the purpose of keeping a nuclear deterrent.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Well his official policy is 0.5%
    Not having competition does not equate to something being efficient. Th NHS regularly scores very highly on global tables. Unlike private businesses - profits are reinvested back into the service rather then leached out.

And yes privatisation in theory is good- but in reality it just leads to monopolies. How many different services run trains from Manchester to London? And just look how expensive train prices are- they've risen far faster and higher then wages have.

Railway nationalisation is something supported on both the left and right.
    Sorry I meant to write 0.5%.

The NHS is universally-renowned for being bad. The only time it wasn't bad required Labour spending absolutely stupid amounts of money and is one of the reasons this country has so much debt. Labour spent spent spent and they still couldn't get the NHS to be amazing.

I'd not for privatising health, but some type of "competition" needs to be introduced somehow.

Railway nationalisation is not supported on both the left and right. This is a little "thin" but even the film Die Hard 2 makes a passing-reference to national rail being so crap....... thats how bad it was- Hollywood movies were taking the piss out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I meant to write 0.5%.

The NHS is universally-renowned for being bad. The only time it wasn't bad required Labour spending absolutely stupid amounts of money and is one of the reasons this country has so much debt. Labour spent spent spent and they still couldn't get the NHS to be amazing.

I'd not for privatising health, but some type of "competition" needs to be introduced somehow.

Railway nationalisation is not supported on both the left and right. This is a little "thin" but even the film Die Hard 2 makes a passing-reference to national rail being so crap....... thats how bad it was- Hollywood movies were taking the piss out of it.
    but by doing that won't i mean a two tier system?

where all the rich people will get good health care and the poor people inadequate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm fairly certain he won't without a shock event. If the economy stays good and the Tories don't elect a nutter to succeed Cameron then i can actually see a net loss of seats.
    I want Boris as PM for 2020. He'll not even bother to get out of bed if its snowing and leave everyone waiting in PMQ for him.

He'll walk in late and say what are all you lot groaning about? Well sod you lot I'm going for a pint!

Someone yells what about the poor? Boris replies what about the poor? Walks off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    but by doing that won't i mean a two tier system?

where all the rich people will get good health care and the poor people inadequate?
    I said there need to be competition, what has this to do with two-tier?

And you do realise rich people can/do just pay for private anyway? You can never make people equal!

ReputationRep:
    You have just justified the purpose of keeping a nuclear deterrent.....
    no i havent, if we got rid of ours its not like we would suddenly become a big target bc other countries still have theirs - nuclear weapons are redudant nobody will ever use them, its stupid and unsafe even having them, we need unilateral dearmament of nuclear weapons but that will only happen if somebody sets an example

ReputationRep:

just fyi rail nationalisation is supported by around 80% of the population, so unless 80% are lefties it is supported by both the left and right

ReputationRep:
    It's not like we wouldn't already be completely screwed if someone fired a nuke at us (unless we have defences in place, I'm not aware of any.) Would it make you feel better knowing that 5 minutes after your own eyeballs vaporise and fall down your face that whoever fired the nuke was going to feel the same thing along with another vast bunch of entirely innocent civilians? I really don't think that's necessary. I'm sure we'd have plenty of allies firing back anyway if vengeance was your goal. We don't need to spend hundreds of millions of pounds building something that our allies already have plenty of. It's not a case where more is better.

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly I agree with David Davis.
    Corbyn's rise is part of a worldwide phenomenon - of people being fed up of 'politcs as normal'. People are fed up of the establishment and their 'centre ground' and their grip on what opinions are acceptable.

We've seen it in Spain, in Greece , Bernie Sanders and Trump in America, the SNP, Greens and UKIP here.

And now Corbyn. Their is growing resentment and growing unease with how politics is in this country. Corbyn above the other candidates will hopefully be able to tap in to this. I can see him pulling in lots of UKIP supporters, winning back lots of Scotland and most Green voters. He won't win that many off the tories or Lib Dems - the big question is if he can get the apathetic to vote but if anyone can, he can.

It would be incredibly foolish for the tories to be complacent or resort to personal attacks. Every personal attack made on Corbyn and even Farage backfires and they become more popular as a result.

The next 5 years will be exciting, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I think Labour will form a coalition government based on a devolution deal. They won't win enough back to form a majority and the Conservatives won't win a majority either.

Also, I think Labour winning will be based on both a combination of a lack of charismatic Tory leader, people getting fed up with Tory policies and Labour playing on this to win votes on appeals to emotion.

Will Labour win a majority? I don't think so. However, I do believe the Liberal Democrats, the Greens, the SNP and Plaid Cymru would be far happier to enter negotiations with Labour to form a government than they would with the Tories. In 2020 we'll see another coalition government formed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Weirdly I agree with David Davis.
    Corbyn's rise is part of a worldwide phenomenon - of people being fed up of 'politcs as normal'. People are fed up of the establishment and their 'centre ground' and their grip on what opinions are acceptable.

We've seen it in Spain, in Greece , Bernie Sanders and Trump in America, the SNP, Greens and UKIP here.

And now Corbyn. Their is growing resentment and growing unease with how politics is in this country. Corbyn above the other candidates will hopefully be able to tap in to this. I can see him pulling in lots of UKIP supporters, winning back lots of Scotland and most Green voters. He won't win that many off the tories or Lib Dems - the big question is if he can get the apathetic to vote but if anyone can, he can.

It would be incredibly foolish for the tories to be complacent or resort to personal attacks. Every personal attack made on Corbyn and even Farage backfires and they become more popular as a result.

The next 5 years will be exciting, that's for sure.
    Not sure about that

Corbyn is pro immigration....everything UKIP hate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Not sure about that

Corbyn is pro immigration....everything UKIP hate
    Not everyone voted UKIP because of immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    If you are worried about student finance 'debt' then you do not fully understand what it is.
    I didn't say anything about being worried, merely that I'd prefer not to have tens of thousands of pounds eating away at my income for several years to come

ReputationRep:
    no i havent, if we got rid of ours its not like we would suddenly become a big target bc other countries still have theirs - nuclear weapons are redudant nobody will ever use them, its stupid and unsafe even having them, we need unilateral dearmament of nuclear weapons but that will only happen if somebody sets an example
    Isn't that a pretty big ****ing assumption considering the consequence is we are attacked with a nuclear weapon?

ReputationRep:
    just fyi rail nationalisation is supported by around 80% of the population, so unless 80% are lefties it is supported by both the left and right
    Regardless of what people want- its an idiotic idea.

Nationalisation = inefficiency.

Whats the incentive to provide a good service when there is no consequence? No competition?

Go and look at how efficient your local council is (and the type of idiots who work there) and then tell me thats how our railway system should be ran?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    I didn't say anything about being worried, merely that I'd prefer not to have tens of thousands of pounds eating away at my income for several years to come
    So you'd rather have a lower income for the rest of your life? Smart...... not.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.