The Student Room Group

Why do feminists say 'teach men not to rape'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
True and smalltowngirl explained it better than me as well.

Well any time a TSR user sees the word "feminist" their IQ immediately drops about 40 points, so to be honest both of you used too many long words to get through to anyone ITT.

Maybe try rephrasing your post in the form of a colouring book.

Original post by AverageExcellence
you honestly think telling a potential rapist 'not to rape' is going to actually have any effect? thats very naive.

Read the posts I quoted.
Reply 61
Original post by Twinpeaks
Yes, there is so much more to your mentality. You are easy pray for prejudice thoughts.

You can't refute what I say, so you make an irrelevant point. You know deep down that feminism is a self serving anti male movement.
Original post by SmashConcept
Well any time a TSR user sees the word "feminist" their IQ immediately drops about 40 points, so to be honest both of you used too many long words to get through to anyone ITT.

Maybe try rephrasing your post in the form of a colouring book.

Read the posts I quoted.

I don't have a colouring book but I can offer cartoons on consent.

Reply 63
Most of the rapes happen within the family. They're committed by uncles, cousins, godfathers, dad's friends, etc. In these cases, the notion of consent is irrelevant because the victims couldn't consent anyway, and the rapists didn't care about consent. I think that only a very small amount of rapes could be avoided by "teaching men not to rape".
Reply 64
Teaching girls to report rape immediately would probably have better results.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66

Instructive, thanks.

"Other programs have focused on men's behavior, Senn said, but only a few high school programs have shown positive results and no research so far has shown that educating students about consent decreases sexual assault. Bystander programs that teach men and women to interrupt situations that could become dangerous offer the most promise, she added, but no quick fixes exist."
Original post by Kyou
Because most feminists believe every male has an instinctive desire to rape.
Funny how in most female rape cases the sentence is not nearly as long.

Maybe because there aren't any female rapists?

Original post by Josb
Most of the rapes happen within the family. They're committed by uncles, cousins, godfathers, dad's friends, etc. In these cases, the notion of consent is irrelevant because the victims couldn't consent anyway, and the rapists didn't care about consent. I think that only a very small amount of rapes could be avoided by "teaching men not to rape".

I think you're mistaking it with child sex offences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Underscore__

I think you're mistaking it with child sex offences.

Still count as rapes.
It depends on the context of what is being said.

I agree with this context. It;s like how we teach our children not to be violent. The urge is there to thump someone but we learn not to do for benefit fo society. The urge for males to pass on their genes no matter what is there. Rape exists in nature. It is a legit strategy to pass on your genes. Thankfully though in humans males are already a bit less aggressive and the differences between male and female are not as strong and voilent compared ot other primates. Male and female humans are fairly equal, it;s in our genes. Plus we are very social animals and working together and developing moral codes (like not being violent, and not raping) is also a legit strategy for evolution. Plus we are now smart enough to notice how nature is a bit **** and can ignore it to an extent. Like how fewer and fewer people are actually having children.

So we do teach men not to rape, but in the same way we teach children not to hit each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Still count as rapes.

In a legal context that's only half right, if the child is under 13 it's s.5 of the SOA 2003 not s.1. In laymans' terms it's not rape; ordinary people look at rape and pedophilia as two distinct offences

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
Believe it or not, most rapists aren't evil psychopaths that everyone paints them to be purely because it's an easier concept to deal with. It's not that black and white. Most of them are just normal people who did a horrible thing, many feel remorse and guilt.

Somewhere is their lives they went the wrong way, their morals became skewed ect. There are many factors that can lead someone to rape.

It's important for us as a society to not only understand how this happens, but also to help prevent this.

Edit: for the easily emotionally charged and those who overreact. No, I'm not saying that rapists aren't accountable for their own actions. Stop jumping to conclusions.

I am guy but find it disgusting you defend these 'people'. If I ever did such a despicable thing I hope people make me rot in hell. It is wrong and to put a women or a child in that position is sickening. All rapists should burn in hell.
Original post by The Socktor
Plenty of people without mental health issues commit violent crime, and plenty of people with them (e.g. me) wouldn't hurt a fly. :smile:

Of course, and I didn't say that, I simply said that most rapists are people with mental health issue.
Original post by scrotgrot
If 20% of women will be raped over their reproductive life that is one in 150 women raped per year, your statistic is hardly more impressive.

Plus I am pretty sure that 20% statistic is calculated on questionnaires that ask about any unsolicited sexual contact, including groping, kissing or I wouldn't be surprised if they are even worded in such a way as to encourage women to cite verbal harassment. Of course this is labelled "rape" in the subsequent analysis and in the media in the fine feminist tradition of statistical rigour and caution.

No, that is not rape. Rape is not any unsolicited sexual contact, that's sexual harrassment, but rape is defined as penetration of the mouth, anus or vagina with or without force without consent of the victim. That is what rape is.
"Your statistics is hardly more impressive"? Why are you trying to trivialize rape statistics and make them appear as "less impressive" than they are? 20% of all women will be raped during their lifetime, why are you justifying that by criticizing feminists?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Why are you talking about mental health problems? The post you replied to doesn't mention mental illness. What you are doing is actually what you're arguing against - someone who has a mental illness that caused them to commit a crime is not legally responsible for that crime. Whilst also suggesting that people with mental health problems are dangerous.

Many rapes happen because people don't understand what isn't consent. There's a lack of understand that saying 'yes' due to coercion or pressure isn't consent. People don't seem to understand that a lack of a 'no' doesn't mean a 'yes'. People think that having had sex with someone before means that you have consent to have sex with them again. People believe that if they pay for someone's dinner they 'deserve sex'. That sex is something they've 'earned' after a certain length of relationship. That is the person they're in a relationship with doesn't want sex for whatever reason that that person is 'withholding' or 'denying them' sex.

Actually, if you read my post, I clearly stated that most rapists do NOT have mental illnesses but mental health problems as in they have been raped themselves or hate women, according to several studies.
"Many rapes happen because people don't understand what isn't consent"?
What are you basing this on? Most rapes happen when the woman is unable to give consent, most rapes are not violent rapes, as in, most rapes happen when the woman is intoxicated or sleeping, not in those cases you're talking about.
Original post by Hydeman
'Trivializes.' Always the sort of word one expects from an emotional fool since it carries so little meaning and yet provides the perfect excuse to be offended. Don't have a go at SophieSmall for making a valid point (which, after you've failed to prove it incorrect, is now 'irrelevant':wink: just because you're determined to take offence.

Also, let's not make stupid predictions of the sort you've made with '20 percent of all women will be raped.'

It is completely irrelevant in regards to OP's question though as OP asked why feminists say teach men not to rape, not her opinion on the best solution to do so (which by the way, she has not provided any proof for, and until she does, I'm not going to discuss it further).
And oh, the 20% of all women will be raped statement is supported by several statistics, but go on, keep being uneducated.
Original post by elizah
It is completely irrelevant in regards to OP's question though

Relevant or not, my point is that your original complaint was that it was incorrect, not that it was irrelevant. You've abandoned that line of inquiry, ostensibly because you realised you were in the wrong but, not wanting to concede that, you instead changed tack and accused her of making an irrelevant point. And that sort of thing stinks awfully of 'looking to make absolutely anything stick.'

OP asked why feminists say teach men not to rape, not her opinion on the best solution to do so (which by the way, she has not provided any proof for, and until she does, I'm not going to discuss it further).

What, that not all rapists are psychopaths? I don't see what's unreasonable about that claim. Unfortunately, very few arguments can be legitimately won by emotion. You may feel that rape is such an abhorrent crime that its perpetrators ought to be considered psychopathic by default, but that's no reason to accuse anybody making a valid suggestion of being an apologist for rape, which you've tried to do in your ultimately unsuccessful attempt at derailing the argument. I have little patience for people who do that on threads discussing controversial topics.

And oh, the 20% of all women will be raped statement is supported by several statistics, but go on, keep being uneducated.

Unoriginal ad hominem. 0/10.

Provide the statistics and I'll concede the point if necessary. It will be interesting to see a statistic that can actually predict the future so definitively. I think it more likely that you read a sensationalist headline on a newspaper website and are now quoting it as indisputable fact. At least give us the opportunity to dispute it by providing a link. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Relevant or not, my point is that your original complaint was that it was incorrect, not that it was irrelevant. You've abandoned that line of inquiry, ostensibly because you realised you were in the wrong but, not wanting to concede that, you instead changed tack and accused her of making an irrelevant point. And that sort of thing stinks awfully of 'looking to make absolutely anything stick.'

What, that not all rapists are psychopaths? I don't see what's unreasonable about that claim. Unfortunately, very few arguments can be legitimately won by emotion. You may feel that rape is such an abhorrent crime that its perpetrators ought to be considered psychopathic by default, but that's no reason to accuse anybody making a valid suggestion of being an apologist for rape, which you've tried to do in your ultimately unsuccessful attempt at derailing the argument. I have little patience for people who do that on threads discussing controversial topics.

Unoriginal ad hominem. 0/10.

Provide the statistics and I'll concede the point if necessary. It will be interesting to see a statistic that can actually predict the future so definitively. I think it more likely that you read a sensationalist headline on a newspaper website and are now quoting it as indisputable fact. At least give us the opportunity to dispute it by providing a link. :tongue:

Actually, if you did read our conversation, which by your answer, you certainly didn't, you would've seen that I didn't change my opinion, I simply added that "by the way, this isn't even relevant, so why are you even bringing it up in the first place", because it had nothing to do with anything.
She was in the wrong, because she said that most rapists are normal people who simply made a few mistakes, which is completely untrue, most rapists are people with mental health issues, such as having been molested or raped themselves, hating women and feeling a strong desire to control them, certain paraphilias, and also, in some cases (which is the reason why rape is more prevalent in poorer areas), it's socioeconomically related. People do not wake up one day and rape, they went wrong somewhere.

"What, that not all rapists are psychopaths?"
Except, I never mentioned that they weren't psychopaths. Most rapists are not mentally ill. I've said this already. That does not mean that they are normal people who simply wake up one day, make a mistake, become a serial rapist for a day, regret it terribly and then return to their natural and normal state of mind. That doesn't happen and to believe so trivializes the issue to a certain degree.

Ugh. Honestly? Sources?
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/20/living/feat-rape-freshmen-women-new-study/
http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/sv-datasheet-a.pdf
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-16192494
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/10/sex-crimes-analysis-england-wales (And before you dismiss the guardian, they do provide sources).
"In 2011, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that "nearly 20% of all women" in the United States suffered attempted sexual assault, sexual assault (forced kissing and fondling), attempted rape, and rape sometime in their life. More than a third of the victims were raped before the age of 18.[7]"
Original post by Jubz1
Elizah, i sincerely hope you're a troll account

^^
Original post by scrotgrot

Rape is and always has been considered the second most heinous crime it is possible to commit against the person after murder. Even then half the time there is more sympathy for for example women raped by militiamen in the Congo than their husbands who got a bayonet in the neck.

Or who get raped.

"Often, she says, wives who discover their husbands have been raped decide to leave them. "They ask me: 'So now how am I going to live with him? As what? Is this still a husband? Is it a wife?' They ask, 'If he can be raped, who is protecting me?' There's one family I have been working closely with in which the husband has been raped twice. When his wife discovered this, she went home, packed her belongings, picked up their child and left. Of course that brought down this man's heart."

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/jul/17/the-rape-of-men

That is clearly one ****ed up response deu to gender norms. But because it is not badly effecting women Feminism is quite about it (mostly).

Men are disposable you see and it is their own fault when stuff like this happens for being weak.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending