Turn on thread page Beta

Can you explain how discriminating ANYONE on ANY grounds, is ANY different to racism? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherie Amour)
    Oh, I get it now.

When did anyone say it wasn't?
    It seems to be the legitimacy of gay rights came from piggybacking off black civil rights protests/activism. :erm:
    Don't think it's said, mostly it's through one's actions.

Well it's about everything, I mean if you just look at the Society forum, the hot favourite right now is immigration.

ReputationRep:
    ERRT!!! Stopping you right there :talkhand:

You chose to be fat the minute you ate that ice cream at 11 pm and didn't exercise all day.

:hand:
    Not really, your first thought is (at least mine is) it's tasty 'I'm up, I don't mind eating something.'

If anything it has to do with desire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM713)
    Don't think it's said, mostly it's through one's actions.

Well it's about everything, I mean if you just look at the Society forum, the hot favourite right now is immigration.
    It's through one's actions that homophobia isn't a form of discrimination? :erm:

And ooookayyyy, not sure what the immigration thing has to do with this. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Not really, your first thought is (at least mine is) it's tasty 'I'm up, I don't mind eating something.'

If anything it has to do with desire.
    Hmm? Okay but you not exercising or having self control to eat less or at a better time contributes to obesity.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting, I have seen people almost disgusted by the thought of racism, yet, they themeselvs hold a negative prejudice towards a group of people in a very similar manner to racism; just with a different victim.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who fluctuates between 9 and 10 stone, I basically struggle with weight. I started exercising at 7 and when I was 11 shed all my baby fat and developed a brawny physique for my sex and age and always got noticed for it; however, I am "naturally" overweight, technically speaking, because I've never been underweight. So it's been a struggle to make sure I don't cross that obese (being 25 lbs or more overweight based on height and age and sex) line.

And everytime I lose weight it's because I take responsibility for what I ate, when I ate it, how much of it I ate, and whether I did anything to burn the calories or nah. That being said, unless you have that thyroid gland thing you technically chose to be fat. Of course no one sat around and clicked a button that said, "make me fat." But your actions or lack thereof made you fat.
    Fluctuating between 9-10 is barely noticeable, but, that depends on your height.
    Of course exercise and a well balance diet help you to lose and maintain weight, that no the point, it where your focus is.

ReputationRep:
    It's through one's actions that homophobia isn't a form of discrimination? :erm:

And ooookayyyy, not sure what the immigration thing has to do with this. :laugh:
    No. It's through ones actions that people often display the things they don't say, obviously.

Well the title does say, discriminating ANYONE, on ANY GROUNDS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibola240)
    It's interesting, I have seen people almost disgusted by the thought of racism, yet, they themeselvs hold a negative prejudice towards a group of people in a very similar manner to racism; just with a different victim.
    This is my point, the double standards and hypocrisy of some people (if not most). I would just like to shed a little light on this.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what others think.

.....I don't write much to keep it as open as possible.

Edit: Racism - in it's most basic terms, is hating someone for something they haven't consciously done.
    exactly

I raise this point often in the educational debate subsection forum, discrimination against people because of their Uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    exactly

I raise this point often in the educational debate subsection forum, discrimination against people because of their Uni
    People are so confused by the (sadly) many types of discrimination; that there is a scale of how bad discrimination is, when in fact, they are all the same, there is no 'worse' or 'better' discrimination, they are exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    You can dissect this until the sun explodes, but, as long as you (EVERYONE) discriminate (the prejudicial kind) it is like racism.

Do you not realise that your thread title actually goes towards ridiculing the word 'racism' because discrimination is a necessity and natural to humans?

Racism is distinguishing between races. Scientifically, there are foir distinct races of people who have bred in isolation from each other and thus have distimct characteristics due to different environments. You cannot argue there is only one race and thus if you agree with the facts you mist concede to being racist. Then the next step is understanding why race mixing is bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Morality)
    Do you not realise that your thread title actually goes towards ridiculing the word 'racism' because discrimination is a necessity and natural to humans?

Racism is distinguishing between races. Scientifically, there are foir distinct races of people who have bred in isolation from each other and thus have distimct characteristics due to different environments. You cannot argue there is only one race and thus if you agree with the facts you mist concede to being racist. Then the next step is understanding why race mixing is bad...
    Maybe it's you're short sightedness that's failing you here, I said in baskets (which you take another look you'll hopefully see "the prejudicial kind". Leaving you in no doubt what I meant.

Thing is right, you've view is distorted because you're unfortunate enough to have this opinion in mind "scientific" or not and of course, you can't see passed it.

If you didn't, you would comprehend, that I am not concerned with race or racism being real or natural (which btw it isn't, but, I'm not going into that right now) and you would get the severity of how wrong racism is and would then be able to understand my comparison between racism and any other form of discrimination. From there you may agree and get the gist of where I'm coming from or may think other forms are not as severe.

Whether we are mixing or not doesn't mean a bloody thing.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.