Turn on thread page Beta

Topless protesters disrupt Muslim conference, Paris watch

ReputationRep:
    Why is a conference that is inciting violence against women allowed to be held in a secular European country in 2015?

ReputationRep:
    It's quite obvious that there was no need for them to go topless. If you want the Muslims to listen to you, then why disrespect them so much as to bare your breasts? I mean, come on. They were never going to listen to them if they took that kind of stance. You've got to be respectful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    PRSOM
    I'm glad they disrupted the conference, they're fighting against sexism. I really do not understand why this topic is even debated.
    Are they really fighting against sexism?

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Isn't a peaceful discussion about wife beating a oxymoron
    :lolwut: i suppose all discussions regarding violence should never be discussed in a peaceful manner? is that really what you're implying?

(Original post by The Epicurean)
    According to the Independents sources, the topic of discussion was regarding the beating of wives.

"According to Inna Shevchenko a spokesperson for the Ukranian-born feminist group, the imams were discussing the beating of women."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10499668.html

Judging by the kicking of one of the women I seen in the video, one can attain an understanding of their views on this topic. If it was the case that they were condoning violence against women, then it would be up for debate how 'peaceful' this discussion was.
    Quite, they were discussing it, but it was an opportunity for any opposing views to be put forward in a good manner, not for this brutish behaviour - they decided to wade in and interrupt an event for discussion organised/paid for by the hosts, and expect their voices to be taken seriously..

Y'know I don't find this very different than the thugs who burn poppies at processions - you won't achieve any sympathy for your concerns by behaving in such a manner.

(Original post by Fango_Jett)
    Yeah, kicking those protesters who had been subdued already and chanting for them to be killed. What a peaceful bunch.
    :rolleyes:from the sources I've read, they waited until security was dragging them off the stage, whereby one guy tried to take the opportunity to kick them..

tl;dr - I don't sympathise with the "protesters" at all, they are thugs and do nothing positive at all for women's rights.

ReputationRep:
    When degeneracy clashes.

ReputationRep:
    Will you look at those *******s falling over themselves to kick the protesters. They make me sick.

(Original post by BaconandSauce)
    So how hard to beat the wife and why do you nasty kaffirs think it such a bad thing - type of thing

The only question I have to ask people who justify violence towards women based of God's word is how far can you **** off.
    I'm actually sad I can't rep this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)

:rolleyes:from the sources I've read, they waited until security was dragging them off the stage, whereby one guy tried to take the opportunity to kick them..
    And we're conveniently ignoring the chants calling for them to be killed, as well as all the rape and death threats in the aftermath online? Disgraceful. If anything, they've clearly highlighted how far from western ideals these people are.

I don't agree with FEMEN on most things, but the fact that you even have a conference like this in Europe is disgusting. What FEMEN did was far less harmful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Why is a conference that is inciting violence against women allowed to be held in a secular European country in 2015?
    Because otherwise it's wayciss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    FEMEN are about as bad as the fundamentalists they are trying to upset.

Taken from the FEMEN Website *Some viewers may find it graphic*
    Spoiler:
    Show
    They did a good job yesterday though, much more useful than #freethenipple bs.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: i suppose all discussions regarding violence should never be discussed in a peaceful manner? is that really what you're implying?

Quite, they were discussing it, but it was an opportunity for any opposing views to be put forward in a good manner, not for this brutish behaviour - they decided to wade in and interrupt an event for discussion organised/paid for by the hosts, and expect their voices to be taken seriously..
    Why does it even need to be discussed at all? Unless it was an anti-domestic violence convention I really don't see what discussion there could possibly be about it, in Paris of all places where domestic violence is already completely illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    PRSOM
    I really do not understand why this topic is even debated.
    Because Muslim males are sexist?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a muslim... and wife beating... no way...

ReputationRep:
    Any 'conference' that intends to have people advocating and inciting violence against women should not be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Because French politicians are massive cowards when they have to deal with Islam.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Fango_Jett)
    And we're conveniently ignoring the chants calling for them to be killed, as well as all the rape and death threats in the aftermath online? Disgraceful. If anything, they've clearly highlighted how far from western ideals these people are.

I don't agree with FEMEN on most things, but the fact that you even have a conference like this in Europe is disgusting. What FEMEN did was far less harmful.
    I didn't bother with that as the comments were taken from a FEMEN spokesperson, so there will be bias, other than that any comments made in the video were either in either french or arabic it seems, not fluent in either language (yet).

(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Why does it even need to be discussed at all? Unless it was an anti-domestic violence convention I really don't see what discussion there could possibly be about it, in Paris of all places where domestic violence is already completely illegal.
    You would think so, but people still attended, and opposing "protestors" still .."protested", imagine if they had simply asked to be invited and to speak about the concerns they have over tea and biscuits.

Any 'conference' that intends to have people advocating and inciting violence against women should not be allowed.
    Whether anyone from the hosts or speakers did indeed advocate violence against women (at the event) remains to be seen and is nothing but speculation, much in the same way that hyperbole has been bandied about concerning the events that transpired ..no not many "beat up"/kicked the "protestors" - it seems it was only one man who sought an opportunity to kick them whilst they were being dragged off stage by security [read: security, not audience members nor the hosts], further it could've been used as an opportunity to calmly challenge any views/concerns that attendees had concerning violence.

Other than the poor stunt that took place, it seems no other incident of violence or unrest was reported, so i can't see how the organisers were at fault here, when the incidents in question were committed by crashers notorious for staging lewd debacles in the hope that they earn an iota of legitimacy for women's rights:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    What's most worrying is that such a conference is allowed to take place in the west. Proof that Europe is turning into Eurabia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whether anyone from the hosts or speakers did indeed advocate violence against women (at the event) remains to be seen and is nothing but speculation, much in the same way that hyperbole has been bandied about concerning the events that transpired ..no not many "beat up"/kicked the "protestors" - it seems it was only one man who sought an opportunity to kick them whilst they were being dragged off stage by security [read: security, not audience members nor the hosts], further it could've been used as an opportunity to calmly challenge any views/concerns that attendees had concerning violence.
    Would you be happy for a racist organisation to hold an event discussing whether they should use violence against ethnic minorities to pursue their aims or not?

ReputationRep:
    the incidents in question were committed by crashers notorious for staging lewd debacles in the hope that they earn an iota of legitimacy for women's rights:pierre:
    You don't think that calls for killing and mass rape, and unprovoked kicking count as incidents then? I've watched the video, and several attendees clearly rushed onto the stage to assault them instead of leaving the security chaps to do their job.

ReputationRep:
    You would think so, but people still attended, and opposing "protestors" still .."protested", imagine if they had simply asked to be invited and to speak about the concerns they have over tea and biscuits.

Other than the poor stunt that took place, it seems no other incident of violence or unrest was reported, so i can't see how the organisers were at fault here, when the incidents in question were committed by crashers notorious for staging lewd debacles in the hope that they earn an iota of legitimacy for women's rights:pierre:
    Are you suggesting that such "protestors", as you say, would ever be invited to actually air their opinions in a calm manner at such an event? Or even any "outsider" opinions at all?

Of course there was no other reports of violence at the event. They save that **** for home, and their wives.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...n_8132254.html

Look at the (male) audience members running on stage to try and assault the women. Says a lot about this 'conference'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 17, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.