Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Laptops are good for sixth form, very handy and the feel can be better than school's own computers. I have a lenovo yoga (one of the newer ones) and that serves me well. It gets slower though when it hits 25% battery life and isn't being charged. When you plug it in at any point it speeds up. Performance is normal higher than the 25-30% charge.

Don't get a macbook IMO unless you want to look stylish with an overpriced and over-hyped product that got to where it is from marketing. Do some research into what you want out of the laptop, and you'll find it in the PC area, most likely for a lower price. Surface's are a little costly right now, so go for a lower model if you want one or pre-owned. Or, go for a brand like lenovo, but I tend to steer clear from Apple.

ReputationRep:
    If you want refurbished second hand mid range to high spec laptops feel free to contact me, I have several in i5, i7 range 3rd and 4th gen. I don't think I'm allowed to post links but yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdi112)
    If you want refurbished second hand mid range to high spec laptops feel free to contact me, I have several in i5, i7 range 3rd and 4th gen. I don't think I'm allowed to post links but yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    this screams scam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    this screams scam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Urm okay if a legitimate website and UK registered company is a scam then so be it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Urm okay if a legitimate website and UK registered company is a scam then so be it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    >you are a user with relatively few posts and not well known or trusted
    >you never mentioned a company
    >you said "contact me" indicating it was some sort of private sale

It's my duty to warn people when someone is trying to rip them off. Notably this could be through selling a "second hand laptop" with no backing towards a corporation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    >you are a user with relatively few posts and not well known or trusted
    >you never mentioned a company
    >you said "contact me" indicating it was some sort of private sale

It's my duty to warn people when someone is trying to rip them off. Notably this could be through selling a "second hand laptop" with no backing towards a corporation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay forum police, thanks for letting me know. Want to arrest me? Want a medal? Again if you want to continue talking about this subject private message me.

Bye

ReputationRep:
    Okay forum police, thanks for letting me know. Want to arrest me? Want a medal? Again if you want to continue talking about this subject private message me.

Bye
    I am not "forum police".
    You made a post that looked dodgy/scam-like to me, so I took appropriate precautions to warn OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    You're perfectly correct there - if you want a machine to run resource intensive programs then you need the guts to run the programs - and machines that have the processing power/RAM for resource intensive programs such as Adobe Illustrator will cost more money (i.e. way more than the £230 budget outlined). This is particularly the case if you want a 2 in 1 machine, or something more portable.

As an example, my laptop is an Acer Aspire 5742 with a 1st gen i5 and 6GB RAM. This laptop will run most things well, and if it wasn't for the overheating problems the 5742s have, it would be better still. Cost about £500.

My parents laptop is a HP laptop with 6GB RAM also, but the processor is an AMD-E2 at 1.7GHZ - almost 1GHz slower than the i5 and as such the performance difference is very notable. the HP laptop cost about £250.

Also, with Chromebooks, if you aren't always connected to an Internet source, there could be problems with the cloud/web apps side of things.

I haven't had a look at Chillblast yet - it's getting a bit late in the evening so I'll have a look at them tomorrow and see what I can find. Failing that, for power I'd recommend that Lenovo you said about, with the upgrade to 8GB RAM. Only weak side is the processor but the RAM will be fine for Photoshop/Illustrator. Unless the OP wants to spend a bit more money.

Hi,

I'll have another look tomorrow morning but for starters you could have a look at that Lenovo laptop here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-15-6-...&qid=144235321 7&sr=8-1&keywords=B00PC8166C

It'll be much better for your Adobe Illustrator as it has much more RAM and decent storage space too. The only downsides are that it's a full sized laptop (so it's not as portable) and that the battery life isn't as good.

I'll have another look tomorrow if required.
    hey there!!!
    I liked ur choice, but then again it's not portable which I needed the most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    hey there!!!
    I liked ur choice, but then again it's not portable which I needed the most
    Hi,

I'll get back to you on this soon, but with regards to portability, there are machines that are portable (i.e. 11 or 12 inch screens) which also have decent specs (good enough to run your Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator) but they will no doubt be quite expensive.

I'll have another look when I've got some time available tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Hi,

I'll get back to you on this soon, but with regards to portability, there are machines that are portable (i.e. 11 or 12 inch screens) which also have decent specs (good enough to run your Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator) but they will no doubt be quite expensive.

I'll have another look when I've got some time available tomorrow.
    hey
    thanks for ur time
    and dont waste ur valuable time on me.... if u are completely free then u can do ur task
    thnx again btw

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.