Turn on thread page Beta

cameron annihilated at PMQs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    It was pretty clever of Corbyn to ask the questions posed by the public, Cameron couldn't exactly pick at the questions as he would have been ripping on the people who asked them.
    But Corbyn needs to follow Cameron up on his answers imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    I am English you moron.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I kind of guessed that. A self hating Englishman.

Do you support Labour's unlimited immigration policy? So that those with both parents born here become fewer and fewer as a proportion of the population?

A pound to a penny you do.

Do you support multiculturalist ideology, in which all other cultures and mores are granted an equality and respect to each other?

That would be a yes.

Do you regard your own history as imperialist and shameful? Something to endlessly apologise for?

I think you do.

Nah, I got it right first time. You hate England and want it to become less and less like the great nation that helped mould the modern world and that was itself forged by centuries of glorious history after the Roman Conquest.

The question is why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    But Corbyn needs to follow Cameron up on his answers imo.
    Defo agree with this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    Yeah, I kind of guessed that. A self hating Englishman.

Do you support Labour's unlimited immigration policy? So that those with both parents born here become fewer and fewer as a proportion of the population?

A pound to a penny you do.

Do you support multiculturalist ideology, in which all other cultures and mores are granted an equality and respect to each other?

That would be a yes.

Do you regard your own history as imperialist and shameful? Something to endlessly apologise for?

I think you do.

Nah, I got it right first time. You hate England and want it to become less and less like the great nation that helped mould the modern world and that was itself forged by centuries of glorious history after the Roman Conquest.

The question is why?
    1. I support a level of immigration that can be practically managed. Coming from a part of the country that has seen high immigration from around the 1940s/50s onwards I have no issue with people who have chosen to better their lot here.

2. I don't see why you would show a bias for one culture or another.

3. Come on, every country has done things in its past it would rather not have done and we are no exception.

4. The real question is why you think someone would want their country to suffer. If you read through the mammoth thread on the Scottish independence referendum you will find barrels of posts from me defending England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    1. I support a level of immigration that can be practically managed. Coming from a part of the country that has seen high immigration from around the 1940s/50s onwards I have no issue with people who have chosen to better their lot here.

2. I don't see why you would show a bias for one culture or another.

3. Come on, every country has done things in its past it would rather not have done and we are no exception.

4. The real question is why you think someone would want their country to suffer. If you read through the mammoth thread on the Scottish independence referendum you will find barrels of posts from me defending England.
    1. None of the Establishment parties, and this includes Corbyn's Labour, have an immigration policy which allows for "practical" management. All HAVE to accept the number of migrants who choose to come here from the EU under free movement of Labour. All those Syrian migrants to Germany and everywhere else in the EU, once they have German (or Hungarian or whatever) citizenship can come and live here if they want. Our Government can do nothing to stop them. That is why all the fuss about the 20,000 is so unreal and absurd.

Cameron talks a lot of BS but last year a net of 330,000 immigrants came to live here. You do the maths as to what this will mean to our culture and way of life by the time you have children. Or look at demographic projections from respected independent bodies, such as that at Oxford University.

Your mate talked about having a new policy on the EU but has backtracked thanks to pressure.from the PLP. The first of many U Turns no doubt.

2. No I know and that was my point. You won't find the Japanese or Chinese, or the Muslim world share that view. Even the Americans. It is a characteristic of the British Left to put every other country ahead of our own. And it goes back a long way, George Orwell pointed it out.

3. Of course we have done shameful things. But once again you won't find other cultures treating their history with the same contempt we do. Glorying in our wickedness as if the British Empire was not one of the most tolerant and advanced in human history, judged against others (the Spanish, the Ottoman, the French, the Japanese for example).

4. I don't think you want our country to suffer, but the inevitable consequence of policies inspired by the ideology you espouse will be the eventual extinction of the culture you claim to be a part of.

Even now it has almost disappeared. What actually is Englishness? Very hard to define now. That was very far from the case not long ago. Emerson and Orwell already mentioned wrote major essays on our characteristics as a people.

They read as curiosities today. The culture they describe has vanished to be replaced by, well by what? You tell me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    1. None of the Establishment parties, and this includes Corbyn's Labour, have an immigration policy which allows for "practical" management. All HAVE to accept the number of migrants who choose to come here from the EU under free movement of Labour. All those Syrian migrants to Germany and everywhere else in the EU, once they have German (or Hungarian or whatever) citizenship can come and live here if they want. Our Government can do nothing to stop them. That is why all the fuss about the 20,000 is so unreal and absurd.

Cameron talks a lot of BS but last year a net of 330,000 immigrants came to live here. You do the maths as to what this will mean to our culture and way of life by the time you have children. Or look at demographic projections from respected independent bodies, such as that at Oxford University.

Your mate talked about having a new policy on the EU but has backtracked thanks to pressure.from the PLP. The first of many U Turns no doubt.

2. No I know and that was my point. You won't find the Japanese or Chinese, or the Muslim world share that view. Even the Americans. It is a characteristic of the British Left to put every other country ahead of our own. And it goes back a long way, George Orwell pointed it out.

3. Of course we have done shameful things. But once again you won't find other cultures treating their history with the same contempt we do. Glorying in our wickedness as if the British Empire was not one of the most tolerant and advanced in human history, judged against others (the Spanish, the Ottoman, the French, the Japanese for example).

4. I don't think you want our country to suffer, but the inevitable consequence of policies inspired by the ideology you espouse will be the eventual extinction of the culture you claim to be a part of.

Even now it has almost disappeared. What actually is Englishness? Very hard to define now. That was very far from the case not long ago. Emerson and Orwell already mentioned wrote major essays on our characteristics as a people.

They read as curiosities today. The culture they describe has vanished to be replaced by, well by what? You tell me?
    1. I do not attach such great importance on where people come from. If they come here, get a job, abide by the laws of the land and challenge a few perceptions in the process I am all in favour. Germany has acted unwisely in committing to such enormous numbers without a coherent policy in place with other European countries, but common sense can be applied to this.

You and I were born in Britain by accident of birth just as people born in the heart of Syria had no say in it either. As for Corbyn, his scepticisms of Europe aren't quite the same as yours I feel.

2. Where did I say want to put other countries ahead of Britain? If I felt so ashamed of being British I would have happily voted Yes in last year's Scottish referendum. I didn't. What I said was that I don't see a reason to treat other cultures as inferior by default.

3. Empires all have in common that they arise from subjugating people in other lands and taking their resources. None of them are things to be particularly proud of.

4. 'Englishness' is something that is continuously changing but I still don't get why you place so much importance on differentiating yourself from people on the same island let alone the same continent. The Empire you praise so enthusiastically was a leading factor in the huge immigration to Britain from all over the world in the 50s and 60s onwards so perhaps look a bit closer to home if you want someone to 'blame'.

I come from a city where there has been a substantial Asian population for decades. Go on a bus and you see people of all colours and creeds on it not bothered by each other's presence. I don't see what is so tragic about that, do you? Go on a bus where I live in Scotland and if the driver is Asian you hear 'he's not from round here is he' or if a passenger is Polish they get told to **** off. That kind of behaviour is the bigger shame in my opinion.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I can't agree that a national anthem should necessarily refer either to the constituent elements (I think that is divisive rather than unifying) - and if it did I'd be insisting on the counties getting a mention - or the country as a whole. Is Massachussetts mentioned in the USA's anthem, Bavaria in Germany's, or Saskatchewan in Canada's? At least one national anthem doesn't even have words.
    For the record, four don't: Spain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, and San Marino.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way in hell Cameron can win the next debate at PMQs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.