Turn on thread page Beta

Are people in France really this racist? went to calais for 1 day, here's my story watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulf)
    i know but i was under that impression, pretty sure i saw some UKIP racism compilation video on youtube at some point in my life and they all seemed like they were the main faces of UKIP. that nigel farage guy definitely came across as a racist french weasel
    Ah ok yep let a YouTube video and some corporate papers formulate your opinion of a man and party. You complain that people stereotype Algerians in France and then you stereotype a whole party. Make sense :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    Yeah, that definitely happened in the valleys hahaha

Ah that's great to hear, things are improving, slowly, but improving

Looool xD I never knew what that felt like, always one of the only mixed/black kid in school
    It was more primary years it existed, then just stopped

Primary school I was the only non white face haha, excluding family

And sixth form back to minority, majority were white :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Ah ok yep let a YouTube video and some corporate papers formulate your opinion of a man and party. You complain that people stereotype Algerians in France and then you stereotype a whole party. Make sense :/
    chill. i wasn't complaining, i was observing. also stereotyping in what sense? i told you earlier i don't think your racist even though you support UKIP - so what gives you the idea that i'm painting everyone who supports (or is a part of) UKIP under the same brush?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulf)
    chill. i wasn't complaining, i was observing. also stereotyping in what sense? i told you earlier i don't think your racist even though you support UKIP - so what gives you the idea that i'm painting everyone who supports (or is a part of) UKIP under the same brush?
    You were quick to tarnish the leader and members of high position over a video. But what you fail to realise is we live in a country of kindergarten politics. It is all about attacking the opposition parties. Look how Labour paints Tories as all bankers, how Tories paint Corbyn and his cronies as communists and on and on with every other party. They call UKIP racist because it is easy without even remotely acknowledging Nigel Farage actually is married to a German women and key figures of the party have an ancestral background outside the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    It was more primary years it existed, then just stopped

Primary school I was the only non white face haha, excluding family

And sixth form back to minority, majority were white :lol:
    It's weird how it switches
    Arabs were always around though, which was cool

Back to diversity in the UK now

ReputationRep:
    yeah "values", as if their "values" weren't imposed on other people too

it's not an invasion, people need to chill. The number of people coming in is ridiculous compared to the overall population.

There's no point discussing this issue anyway :\
    but as the majority obviously it rules as in any continent.

we dont need to chill. the more migrants that arrive the more accepting as a society we are to immigration.

it can rapidly get out of control. its natural to not want immigration.

it is an important point. you cant just blame the racist folk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Pretty sure people in the Muslim world get fed up every time Westerners start turning up unannounced in their country
    you mean like if westeners turned up unannounced and start playing real-life call of duty in iraq, afghanistan, syria, palestine, libya... ? like shiettt we're all human at the end of the day if they're crawling into your bedroom at night or something i can understand but they're just a bunch of guys trying to survive man.

by the way there are a lot of christians in the refugee camps too. it's not a religion thing. france raped most of africa and left countries in an awful state (to a point where people risk their lives just to get out) - what did they expect? all of the refugees i saw were from french colonies like sudan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulf)
    yeah but the french distinctly know what an algerian looks like, and they obviously know that algerians live in france legally
    Fair point but it’s still possible that Calais becoming a hotspot for Eastern migrants is intensifying anti-immigrant/anti-Algerian sentiment, and/or bringing related old discontentment to the surface..

you'll see them walking around bare-footed and digging holes with their bare hands to **** in
    The whole thing is a terrible shame :sad:

they absolutely raped my country, tortured my grandad to death and i'm still walking around trying to smile at people and act friendly
    Sorry to hear that, I suppose us Europeans rarely behaved well in Africa eh. Mind you, there was of course a lot of violence/’war crimes’ on both sides re: Algeria

my closest friends in university were french and were more-than-decent human beings so this whole calais experience has been a huge surprise
    I’ve met a few decent French folk in my time, although one was a girlfriend and another was a Breton so they don’t really count :mmm:

it should be us that are walking around giving them the evils and not vice versa
    I dunno man, that was a long time ago now – not like many of those you’ll encounter will have played a part in oppressing Algeria

ReputationRep:
    I dunno man, that was a long time ago now – not like many of those you’ll encounter will have played a part in oppressing Algeria
    lol nice take my quote completely out of context. but yeah i agree, i didn't expect the beef to be ongoing. if anyone should be holding a grudge it should definitely not be the french though. if you go to algeria outside of the main cities you'd feel like you're in the 1600s rofl, they completely shagged the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    but as the majority obviously it rules as in any continent.

we dont need to chill. the more migrants that arrive the more accepting as a society we are to immigration.

it can rapidly get out of control. its natural to not want immigration.

it is an important point. you cant just blame the racist folk.
    The UK is pretty accepting already tbh.

Ok, then the situations in the countries these refugees come from needs improving and the UK has a big role in that. That's the only permanent solution.

But it is partially racist, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience france is very racist and sexist and homophibic. Im from the south nowhere near xalais.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    You were quick to tarnish the leader and members of high position over a video. But what you fail to realise is we live in a country of kindergarten politics. It is all about attacking the opposition parties. Look how Labour paints Tories as all bankers, how Tories paint Corbyn and his cronies as communists and on and on with every other party. They call UKIP racist because it is easy without even remotely acknowledging Nigel Farage actually is married to a German women and key figures of the party have an ancestral background outside the UK.
    yes but i'm not a sheep, i already know this is the case lol. i think you're the one who's being manipulated into thinking these people are going to send the country in the right direction. if i see nigel farage walking up to a brown guy and call him a smelly paki on a youtube video i'm going to assume he's racist regardless of who posted it - right?

england is heaven compared to france because they treat immigrants like human beings instead of dogs and you can fulfill any dream you want here. why do you want to ruin that? if you don't like having brown people around you or whatever you can easily go live in essex or something. you is making an issue out of nothing braiider. humans shouldn't be digging holes to poo inside like ****ing dogs. i shouldn't have to walk past a whole family of malnourished sudanis begging me for water.

remember that you're living the good life here in england at the expense of shagging other countries (look at india for example).
    (Original post by SophieBarlow87)
    In my experience france is very racist and sexist and homophibic. Im from the south nowhere near xalais.
    lol it really seems like the french just hate the world. the more i smiled at people the angrier they got

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry this happened
    I'm half French and have lived there 13 years and yes, a lot of French people are racist, especially against Arabs. I've had people tell me racist stuff while in school.
    I'm glad I left there for the moment.
    Do you know how the french feel about the Persians/Iranians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulf)
    you mean like if westeners turned up unannounced and start playing real-life call of duty in iraq, afghanistan, syria, palestine, libya... ?
    Yup, that was the point I was making..

they're just a bunch of guys trying to survive man
    You don't have to travel several thousand miles just to survive, man. I feel sorry for them, and our instinct is to help, but actually what we need to do is think first - something the authorities around Europe are only just starting to do now (e.g. these border closures/talk of sharing out the human fallout) :rolleyes:

by the way there are a lot of christians in the refugee camps too
    Same goes for the Christians, although at least we can be a little more confident that they are less of a security threat (although quite how you substantiate that someone is Christian for sure is beyond me)

france raped most of africa and left countries in an awful state (to a point where people risk their lives just to get out) - what did they expect? all of the refugees i saw were from french colonies like sudan
    There will be an element of 'extractive' institutions in the legacy of colonial powers, with residual effects on growth trajectories and remnant inefficiencies in the macroeconomy (studied this at uni), but that's not the whole story where African disasters are concerned - some former colonies have been relatively successful, others less so - geographical and present day political factors chief among the reasons why

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to travel several thousand miles just to survive, man.
    dude one of the sudani's showed me a video which he personally took on his ****ty ass nokia phone - his village got burnt to the ground and they were dragging dead, burnt baby corpses out of their houses. you think these people are in france living like rabbits for fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saya k)
    Hm not really :|
    I knew quite a lot of people with an Iranian parent and a French parent. I'd say they're quick to put Middle Eastern looking people in the same bag.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    8/10 thread would read again, would recommend to a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saya k)
    you're probably in the smelly arab category

ReputationRep:
    The UK is pretty accepting already tbh.

Ok, then the situations in the countries these refugees come from needs improving and the UK has a big role in that. That's the only permanent solution.

But it is partially racist, in my opinion.
    partial racism isnt so bad.were all innately a little racist anyways.

UK doesnt have a big role in that unless it wants to. Should be a personal donation thing that the government then uses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    partial racism isnt so bad.were all innately a little racist anyways.

UK doesnt have a big role in that unless it wants to. Should be a personal donation thing that the government then uses.
    The UK, the most important powers and the US are mainly responsible for the state in which Africa and the Middle East are. You can hardly blame people to come and seek something better.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.