Turn on thread page Beta

What is harder GCSE Geography or GCSE History watch

ReputationRep:
    I took both History and Geography GCSE and definitely found history easier and more enjoyable - came out with an A (A* coursework, A in both exams) and a C in geog (A in coursework and D in both exams!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally I didn't find an awful lot of difference except the coursework in geography is a bit more related to the exam content. History tests more your English skills more than Geography but in History it is a bit easier to make it up in the exam and to use your own opinions. Also, for what its worth, Edexcel History this year was relatively easy and Geography was relatively hard. However for most people history is generally viewed as harder and most people do worse in it. In my school several people get A* in Geography every year, in History it is often fewer people, this year it was just me and someone in Geography got 98%. Overall, whatever you prefer and feel more suited to but History is probably a bit harder.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think they have similar properties and differences. For both you have to memorise a fair amount of content. For geography it is case studies and for history it is dates. Take a look at the syllabus and see which one you think you will enjoy more (for me I love some parts of geography and really don't like others and all of the bits I don't like were in the syllabus so that was the deal breaker for me and so I took history). Also, the school may have the subject breakdown of A*-C % so you could take a look at that to check that one of the department isn't far superior.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on boards. I do AQA Geography and I didn't take history but recently my year have been doing their history coursework and loads of them are really struggling. History and Geography have the same amounts to memorise. History has more analysis where as geography is more describing patterns and explain why those patterns form. For geography the only time where you really need to analyse is coursework. History, correct me someone if I'm wrong, you have to analyse sources a lot. So I would say history is harder but I guess it depends on what your skills are as well and as to how much you enjoy the subject.

ReputationRep:
    i take the view that history is harder but more interesting and useful in later life. it can come in handy to know historical facts at times in life but since leaving school i have never found a use for my knowledge of what a meander or ox bow lake is so yeah do history. also geography is really boring

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmm...

I would say History is harder.

Geography isn't done well though by people, so for my board, grade boundaries were very low. You need the right skills.

History is nice, but have to learn quite a bit and give your own thoughts, whereas geography is mostly fact and some opinion, but it's not difficult to make a judgment with geography.

Both are great at GCSE, I'd recommend either.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, neither are that hard. Some points of comparison to help your way

1. Both subjects are going to demand heavy memorisation, whether it be case studies or historical events
    2. Both demand evaluation skills. Geography often has a longer report style question about a policy and you have to synthesise knowledge. History demands you discuss a hypothesis and the same skills are required. But again, these evaluations are quite arbitary and aren't very significant in terms of requiring you to do deep analysis.

Probably history will require you to work harder outside of school in understanding events. These can get very tricky especially when looking at things on a macro scale. On the other hand, geography is very reptetitve and somewaht boring in just understanding fixed causes and events prescribed in the syllabus.

Both are rewarding, but I think history would be better if you had to pick one only. Just because geography is multi displinary. History covers just about everything in geography except physical geography. And many think physical geography to be very boring. If you are the exception, do geography instead.

But if you do both, do both. Neither are really that hard or sufficently that different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did both and found History easier because I was interested in it more but in all honesty the only thing I didn't like about my geography class was the teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's saying geography had loads of memorising.... It depends on exam board because edexcel you literally needed 5 in no detail

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Umm.. Let me just consult Ofqual. Oo they said that geography is harder- case closed.
    No, but seriously I think the idea is that they are both equally difficult and that the relatuve'easiness' is down to the mind of the actual candidate. What will you enjoy reading about at 11:00 at night when all of your friends remembered to do their homework on time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
    Everyone's saying geography had loads of memorising.... It depends on exam board because edexcel you literally needed 5 in no detail

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what do you mean

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I seriously went into gcse geography not knowing a thing about any countries or their ways, but now ive started year 11 and I got an A in my mocks (just physical though) and I still have no idea about capital cities and most common knowledge in geography. However, in history I was getting the highest marks in the year up until year 10 and then in my mocks I got a C-so I hope that answers your questions. I would say that history is VERY much about the structure of your answers whereas geography is very much like science

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year of studying history at GCSE and i can honestly say that it is the hardest thing i have ever done' subject wise! I don't know if it's the same as different exam boards me vary but it's just controlled assessment after controlled assessment after controlled assessment. When an exam does come around you don't get as much time as you would like and often miss out on the last question. I mean, I'm a pretty clever girl and I hate history so much and it's going to look terrible on a card surrounded by A's! Choose geography and sve yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Geography is definitely the easiest.
    It's one of the easier GCSE's out there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    everyone always says history is harder, however the grades show that people do a lot better in history than geography, so i'm assuming either that despite the content being challenging, the actual exams are easy, or there are low grade boundaries to compensate, compared to the higher grade boundaries there are for geography

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I study both at GCSE, (but history iGCSE). Both subjects would require work to do well in however, I find that both subjects require just learning what to write for the question and once you know it is simple. History however is more opinion based and analytical which once you have a set opinion and know how and what to write about it then it is pretty simple. Although in my opinion, Geography is easier because it is not opinion based and requires you to only know facts and writes them down whereas history requires you to know the facts, write them down, give your opinion and analyse them etc. Geography is overall just learn the facts, write them down. History is harder.

P.s. sorry I went a bit over the top but this is my first post

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much you're willing to splash out on colouring pencils tbh

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.