Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Millions of animals die every day but the numbers of elephants are dropping. If this continues we will end up with no elephants.

The argument that many animals die daily is utter BS. I would still want to see elephants roaming on my home continent for decades to come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I don't really care to be honest, I must be the anti-christ to you. I hunt, shoot and kill animals for fun. Not only that, I also eat meat and have even been known to farm it for others to eat it. I don't regret it and will continue.

You are a militant vegan.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ant+Vegetarian
    Maybe you can help me understand something.

I get that hunting and tracking an animal could be fun, but where's the fun in actually shooting it.?This guy who hunted the elephant - why couldn't he just do all the fun tracking and hunting, and then once he found the animal, why not just point the gun at it, look down the sight, and then not pull the trigger?

That final pulling of the trigger is kind of pointless isn't it? And if that tiny, needless action brings so much enjoyment to somebody that it's worth the life of another living being, then they must be at least a little bit egotistical, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    That all vegans chose the vegan lifestyle because they love animals. You are ignoring the many who do it for health reasons or because they are following the crowd.
    And that all meat eaters support the meat industry. You stated yourself that those who grow and care for their own animals are somehow worse than those who 'blindly' (they know what happens) source their meat from the meat industry. Yet you just generalise everyone the same even though you have stated that personally, you think they are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very few people do it for health reasons. Probably less than 0.5% of vegans. The primary purpose of being a vegan is to stop the use of animal products for ethical reasons. If you wanted to eat a diet for health reasons many people would argue chicken meat and white meat and a paleo diet is far healthier than a vegan diet, so if they really didn't give a crap about animal welware they would adopt that diet rather than a vegan diet. Also veganism is more than about diet. It's a lifestyle choice. Vegans choose not to wear leather, wool, or anything that comes from animals. People who eat a vegan diet but who still wear leather, wool etc aren't full vegans in my opinion. They're what I would probably call: fussy vegetarians.

Ok I did generalise about meat-eaters. I couldn't help it. I don't think I could make a separate case for all the different types of meat-eaters out there. The bottom line is that I feel meat eating and the raising and killing of animals for meat and their skin is wrong. This is regardless of whether you raised them on open farmland or battery cages. They still die against their will. What gives us humans the right to decide whether other animals with brains who want to live just as much as us should live or die? That's cruel. No one or no animal species should be in that position.

ReputationRep:
    god africa needed to toughen up ugh im only taking ppe because of how messed up everything is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    It disgusts me but assuming you are a meat-eater, I don't see why you care so much? Billions of animals die every year so you meat-eating savages can eat meat. Think about that before you post fake posts pretending to feel compassion for this poor elephant. If you eat meat, your compassion towards other living animals is a fake compassion.

You cannot honestly believe that by participating in the death and destruction and suffering of countless other animal species makes you a good person just because you apparently seem to care about the fate of this elephant? :rolleyes:

That goes to all the savage meat-eating people reading this!
    Get off your vegatarian ****ing high horse, you aren't saving the world by not eating dead things.
    It's natural to eat meat, and isn't at all cruel to eat animals that are naturally pray animals providing the animal was given a decent quality of life before slaughter.

ReputationRep:
    Very few people do it for health reasons. Probably less than 0.5% of vegans. The primary purpose of being a vegan is to stop the use of animal products for ethical reasons. If you wanted to eat a diet for health reasons many people would argue chicken meat and white meat and a paleo diet is far healthier than a vegan diet, so if they really didn't give a crap about animal welware they would not adopt that diet rather than a vegan diet. Also veganism is more than about diet. It's a lifestyle choice. Vegans choose not to wear leather, wool, or anything that comes from animals. People who eat a vegan diet but who still wear leather, wool etc aren't full vegans in my opinion. They're what I would probably call: fussy vegetarians.

Ok I did generalise about meat-eaters. I couldn't help it. I don't think I could make a separate case for all the different types of meat-eaters out there. The bottom line is that I feel meat eating and the raising and killing of animals for meat and their skin is wrong. This is regardless of whether you raised them on open farmland or battery cages. They still die against their will. What gives us humans the right to decide whether other animals with brains who want to live just as much as us should live or die? That's cruel. No one or no animal species should be in that position.
    The last bit makes an good point but the fact of the matter is that humans are omnivores. Cecil the Lion killed other animals for their meat. The meat industry is cruel and many meat eaters have essentially been brainwashed into eating it but it is as much as a choice veganism. If humans went out and fought and killed their meat with their bare hands, would you accept that as much as you accept other meat eating animals?
    Also, animals will inevitably always suffer. Regardless of lifestyle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Such a shame, why would anyone even consider doing something like that?
    Because some people find hunting fun, perhaps? Believe it or not, we are not all obliged to have the same interests, sources of enjoyment, and morality as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Maybe you can help me understand something.

I get that hunting and tracking an animal could be fun, but where's the fun in actually shooting it.?This guy who hunted the elephant - why couldn't he just do all the fun tracking and hunting, and then once he found the animal, why not just point the gun at it, look down the sight, and then not pull the trigger?

That final pulling of the trigger is kind of pointless isn't it? And if that tiny, needless action brings so much enjoyment to somebody that it's worth the life of another living being, then they must be at least a little bit egotistical, surely?
    That would be pretty pointless to go all that way not to kill it. I don't really get trophy hunting to be honest, I hunt for meat and just imagine how much biltong and drywors you could get from an elephant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_fancybum)
    Get off your vegatarian giving high horse, you aren't saving the woulrld by being anot eating dead things. It's natural to eat meat, and isn't at all cruel to eat animals that are naturally pray an yeah providing the animal was given a decent quality of life before slaughter.
    I cannot take you seriously because you can't spell. . Stop trolling and get back to your beef burger please.

ReputationRep:
    That would be pretty pointless to go all that way not to kill it. I don't really get trophy hunting to be honest, I hunt for meat and just imagine how much biltong and drywors you could get from an elephant.
    But killing it is also pointless. That's what I was trying to say. If he does it for the enjoyment of the hunt, then actually pulling the trigger achieves nothing.

Unless he actually enjoys the act of killing for no purpose. Which is pretty messed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    The last bit makes an good point but the fact of the matter is that humans are omnivores. Cecil the Lion killed other animals for their meat. The meat industry is cruel and many meat eaters have essentially been brainwashed into eating it but it is as much as a choice veganism. If humans went out and fought and killed their meat with their bare hands, would you accept that as much as you accept other meat eating animals?
    Also, animals will inevitably always suffer. Regardless of lifestyle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are not a Lion, and you are not the top of the food chain. Do you honestly think if you were put in a cage with a lion you would survive a minute without a weapon?

Humans have canines and were historically omnivores but in a day and age when we buy food from supermarkets and can live a perfectly healthy life without eating meat the onus is on us to decide whether we can eat meat or not. Lions are still as they were thousands of years ago doing their own thing, hunting and killing to survive.

My argument to you is: we don't need to eat meat to survive. We can survive on grains, plants, nuts. We are not hunter-gatherers like our distant ancestors. We have a brain, we can think, but yet you still think it is right to eat animals? Don't you care that they have a nervous system, feel anxiety and pain like us humans?

We don't need to eat meat to survive. We don't need to breed animals to die so we can eat them because it is more energy efficient and more humane for us to eat plants and grains - these grains would otherwise go to feed animals which we would eat. This is very bad for the environment as well as being inhumane.

Another reason for stopping eating meat is that if we all stopped eating meat it would end world hunger. We wouldn't feed all the plants and grains to animals so we can eat their meat later. If we ate the grains ourselves directly, no one would go hungry.

I could go on and on, but i'm sure you'll find another reason that meat-eating is okay so I'll stop there.

Also I don't agree that animals will inevitably suffer. Even if they did inevitably suffer that doesn't give us the right to purposefully make them suffer when we don't need to do that. It's cruel and we should stop.

ReputationRep:
    That's your opinion, but anyone with half a brain will see the logic in my argument and see that meat-eaters are the real militants. Have a nice day
    Meat eaters are eating a sustainable source of vitamins only available from meat. Incidentally it has been shown that as a living organism plants have feelings too. The vegan diet lacks so many of the vitamins humans need it's worthless. Unlike cows, pigs etc Elephants are endangered. Whatever thrill a hunter gets from pointlessly killing a beautiful animal it's about as worthless as a go on the merry go round. If they enjoy killing so much why not join the army and do something useful for once. Oh yes-you need to be a "real man" to do that, so forget that idea...

ReputationRep:
    Get a SGC and a Mossberg 500, the one extra shot make all the difference.
    Yeah I bet...I've only ever shot over and unders, so really want to try out a pump-action anyway.

Did get to shoot a 20 bore the other month, call me a pansy but must say I really liked that lighter recoil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    But killing it is also pointless. That's what I was trying to say. If he does it for the enjoyment of the hunt, then actually pulling the trigger achieves nothing.

Unless he actually enjoys the act of killing for no purpose. Which is pretty messed up.
    He enjoys it. It doesn't harm anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot take you seriously because you can't spell. . Stop trolling and get back to your beef burger please.
    Apologies for the terrible spelling; mistakes are now corrected.

Anyway you're lack of counter argument suggests you don't have anything reasonable to say, so please **** off with your vegan, green *******s until you've got an answer to my original statement

ReputationRep:
    What a cowardly, cold hearted man. May his eventual demise by a slow, pain inducing, mind destroying one. I hate game hunters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by versari)
    Meat eaters are eating a sustainable source. Elephants are endangered. Whatever thrill a hunter gets from pointlessly killing a beautiful animal it's about as worthless as a go on the merry go round. If they enjoy killing so much why not join the army and do something useful for once. Oh yes-you need to be a "real man" to do that.....
    Eating meat by it's very nature is not sustainable. There is so much energy loss down the food chain so it's more energy efficient to eat plants than to feed these plants to animals and then to eat the animals. 10% of the energy from the Sun passes to plants, and 10% of the energy from the plants that animals are passed onto humans when we eat meat. That means 99% of the energy has been wasted from what the Sun passed onto the plant.

So by the above argument eating meat is not sustainable. Do a bit of research into this and you will see how plant eating is better for the environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_fancybum)
    Apologies for the terrible spelling; mistakes are now corrected.

Anyway you're lack of counter argument suggests you don't have anything reasonable to say, so please **** off with your vegan, green *******s until you've got an answer to my original statement
    :facepalm: Jog on sonny. I'm not going to waste my time with illiterates.

ReputationRep:
    He enjoys it. It doesn't harm anyone.
    Well, it harms the animal, obviously.

But I supposes that answers my original question.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Jog on sonny. I'm not going to waste my time with illiterates.
    You've just proved that you cant provide an answer to my provably point so have resorted to being even more of a ****.
    Enjoy you're protein deficiency.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.