Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am a 22 year old male, will be dating a 16 year old female?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is a picture of the day the 13 year old girl on the left fell head over heels in love with the 18 year old boy on the right.

Next month they celebrate their 68th wedding anniversary.

Recognise them?

Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg article-1389509-0C31EDE500000578-152_634x343.jpg (68.8 KB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)
    Were you parents okay with it?
    My mum met my boyfriend the same time as me (we were all at a dancing event) and she could tell straight away that he was a decent guy and she knows that I've always got on better with people who are older than me.

She told me that the most important thing was how we felt about each other and that we treated each other well.

My dad met him a few months after we started dating (my parents are divorced, which is why my boyfriend didn't get the chance to meet him sooner) and he also got on really well with my boyfriend straight away.

His parents were sceptical when he first told them about me, but as soon as they met me, they agreed that we were very well suited to each other and now they think of me as a daughter.

My boyfriend and I have now been together for almost five years and are living together very happily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    just because you were immature at that age doesnt mean everyone is. my brother's girlfriend was 17 and he was 26 when they started dating each other and this is their 7th year together, my cousin was 27 and his gf 17 when they started dating and they now have a kid and are getting married. so please stop saying things like 'put her in a position that will *affect her a lot more' because it is complete BS, he didnt say he was gonna kidnap and rape her.
    Don't assume she was immature. She may have been very mature for her age but not for that kind of relationship pressure.
    The 17 yeard olds you know, particularly the one who went on to have a kid, did they have a chance to do the things they wanted when they were young?

They are still very young and the regrets could still hit them big time. Moreso for the one with a child.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh a lot of 17 year olds think they're they have reached the peek of maturity but if I've learnt anything since that's total crap and you still have a hell lot more growing up to do, things to do and see.
    In comparison to most I was mature because I was a carer who moved out at 16, but now I realise I would never go out with a 16 year old let alone 15. The life gap just seems to big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Don't assume she was immature. She may have been very mature for her age but not for that kind of relationship pressure.
    The 17 yeard olds you know, particularly the one who went on to have a kid, did they have a chance to do the things they wanted when they were young?

They are still very young and the regrets could still hit them big time. Moreso for the one with a child.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A romantic relationship is a romantic relationship, it doesn't matter whether your partner is 18 years old or 25. My cousin and her 17 year old girlfriend didn't have a kid whe she was 17, they had the kid when she was 20 and yes, she did have a chance to do the thing she wanted when she was young, she wanted a kid so she got it. They are a little family and have a mortgage already. There will be no 'regrets'.

I know plenty of people who had kids when they were young and once you have kids, you don't regret having them because they live for them. Clearly if someone doesn't want a child they would get an abortion. Having kids young is something they choose, not something that just happened to them.

All of you telling OP how horrendous it is that he is dating this girl have obviously never logged off TSR. Of course if it was a 17 year old asking whether he should date a 15 year old, people wouldn't be so disapproving, when the truth of the matter is, the nature of their relationship would be the same even if OP was still a teenager. They would still have sex - yes, 15 year olds do have sex. It doesn't matter how many times you say 'under the age of consent243235432!!!!!!!!!!!' doesn't change the fact that 15 year olds having sex is an everyday occurence. And as OP even pointed out, he isn't even planning on having sex any time soon. His girlfriend is already capable of deciding whether or not she wants to have sex at the age of 15. She isn't 8, she is 15.

ReputationRep:
    You will get laughed it, and if you told me this when we were in a bar or pub, I would point a finger at you saying "Haha, look at this dude, hes 22 and dating a 16 year old"

ReputationRep:
    If my 22 year old son was seeing a 15 year old I would definitely be telling him she was too young. Think about how much you grew up between the ages of 15 and 18, let alone 15 and 22. A 7-year age difference is nothing when you're in your thirties, and perhaps ok at 20 and 27, but it feels inappropriate when the younger party is below 18. She's a minor. When she's 16 she will still be a minor.

Her parents may be seemingly ok with it because sometimes telling your children you aren't ok with their chosen boyfriend can push them into the relationship, and make it hard for them to seek help if it all goes wrong. Many parents feel a light touch approach is best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saeed97)
    Yeh but when he's 100 she'll be 92 which is perfectly fine.
    Does that mean a 6 year old dating a 13 year old is right then? Your argument can be applicable for any age then lol.

OP, do not listen to these people.
    My friend started dating her boyfriend when she was 15 and her boyfriend was 21 and they are still together 6 years on. Dont worry about her not being 16 yet, she is only a few months away from being 16 and a few months will make no difference to how mature she is. she will be legal in a few months so its fine. Its not like you have to look at a calender every day and count down the days until the exact day she turns 16. just go for it and dont care about the naysayers
    Thankyou for this comment! Me and her have spoken many of times about the relationship. To us, age is just a number! We aren't hanging sex of any kind. So I honestly don't see a problem with it?! People Keep saying "ohh she' can't be that mature yet because she is only 15" She is very mature actually, and as the years go on she will only mature even more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swagio)
    Tbh a lot of 17 year olds think they're they have reached the peek of maturity but if I've learnt anything since that's total crap and you still have a hell lot more growing up to do, things to do and see.
    In comparison to most I was mature because I was a carer who moved out at 16, but now I realise I would never go out with a 16 year old let alone 15. The life gap just seems to big.
    *peak

Also, a 22 year old might have just as much growing up to do as a 17 year old. Just because you wouldn't date someone significantly younger than you, it doesn't mean that rule should apply to everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I know a 21 year old guy who dated a 30 year old female I guess age gaps just don't matter these days.

(Original post by InternetGangster)
    that makes my stomach churn.
    lol same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistyblue~)
    I know a 21 year old guy who dated a 30 year old female I guess age gaps just don't matter these days.
    Bit different... At 21 and 30 they're both legal adults. At 15 and 23, one is still a child and will be a child for another 3 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaisalNaeem03)
    lol same
    we have a lot in common i see wanna hang out some time? im 41 years old tho just dont tell anyone

(Original post by InternetGangster)
    we have a lot in common i see wanna hang out some time? im 41 years old tho just dont tell anyone
    Bruhh. That's not me. I'm 15... hold onnn did you get this word of advice from OP.

ReputationRep:
    oh she's really mature for her age blah blah blah... Every cradle snatchers excuse.

ReputationRep:
    A romantic relationship is a romantic relationship, it doesn't matter whether your partner is 18 years old or 25. My cousin and her 17 year old girlfriend didn't have a kid whe she was 17, they had the kid when she was 20 and yes, she did have a chance to do the thing she wanted when she was young, she wanted a kid so she got it. They are a little family and have a mortgage already. There will be no 'regrets'.

I know plenty of people who had kids when they were young and once you have kids, you don't regret having them because they live for them. Clearly if someone doesn't want a child they would get an abortion. Having kids young is something they choose, not something that just happened to them.

All of you telling OP how horrendous it is that he is dating this girl have obviously never logged off TSR. Of course if it was a 17 year old asking whether he should date a 15 year old, people wouldn't be so disapproving, when the truth of the matter is, the nature of their relationship would be the same even if OP was still a teenager. They would still have sex - yes, 15 year olds do have sex. It doesn't matter how many times you say 'under the age of consent243235432!!!!!!!!!!!' doesn't change the fact that 15 year olds having sex is an everyday occurence. And as OP even pointed out, he isn't even planning on having sex any time soon. His girlfriend is already capable of deciding whether or not she wants to have sex at the age of 15. She isn't 8, she is 15.
    Oh please, don't say that you actually believe that ALL people who don't want kids have abortions.

All I'm inputing is that a 15 year old still studying their GCSE isn't at a stable point and whilst I will give you the benefit of the doubt, even you must admit that a 15 year old and 17 year old are at very different points in life and their maturities are not the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It is legal is you wait till she's 16 - bloody weird, but legal nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Oh please, don't say that you actually believe that ALL people who don't want kids have abortions.

All I'm inputing is that a 15 year old still studying their GCSE isn't at a stable point and whilst I will give you the benefit of the doubt, even you must admit that a 15 year old and 17 year old are at very different points in life and their maturities are not the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A 15 year old and an 17 year old are pretty much at the same point in their life, they are both high school students.

ReputationRep:
    A 15 year old and an 17 year old are pretty much at the same point in their life, they are both high school students.
    Accidentally up voted, definitely don't agree. An eleven year old and an eighteen year old are both secondary school students, so are they at the same points in their lives? A four year old and an eleven year old are both primary school students, so are they at the same point in their lives?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.