Turn on thread page Beta

Are there any Muslim converts on here preferably from a judea-christian background? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousForLife)
    Sorry but I don't have time to make stupid assumptions like you do and are doing now.

Nah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whatever you say, Mary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Whatever you say, Mary.
    Ikr

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    What are their entry requirements, do you get scholarships, bursaries etc?
    I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessZara)
    Most of my family :O
    Explain please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    Explain please.
    Most of my family converted from Christians to Islam

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't being a theist without partaking in organised religion appeal to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    and now you're listening to lowkey and asking about the Rothschilds

Mashallah

ReputationRep:
    How many,who,why are you one of them?

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with converting and either way I hope you are happy, but this idea that Islam is the religion for you, because it encompasses the figures of the previous religions strikes me as strange.
    I've always been on the opinion that the Yahwehite religions become worse with each incarnation; Judaism, while it can be a bit gnarly and exclusive, generally keeps to itself and has never been particularly disposed to seek converts and evangelise. With Yahwehism 2.0 (or Christianity), you had Judaic scripture rolled up into a new package with new-fangled innovations (such as the concept of hell, and the need to "save" souls).

With Yahwehism 3.0 (or Islam), they adopted all the old prophets and origin myths of the Jews, accepted Jesus as a major figure (apparently he is not just a prophet in Islam; in Islamic eschatology, Jesus and the Mahdi return as a duo in the end times). But Islam also took on a much more pugnacious and aggressive focus on conversion. Yahwehism seems to become more aggressive as each update is rolled out.

Don't get me wrong (despite my needlessly provocative username) I do feel there is something mesmerising about Islam compared with other religions, but there has to be more in your mind than what you wrote out there.
    I do find Islam to be somewhat mesmeric, and attractive, for two reasons. The first is the purity of its monotheism; they really cut away a lot of the superfluous nonsense about Holy Ghosts and the rest, to focus on a very singular, austere god. The other is that it has an almost legalistic approach to scriptural construction; Islamic jurisprudence almost feels like a kind of religious common-law. Although I utterly abhor the content of Islamic law, the interpretive framework they use comes across as more robust, and more intellectually-disposed, than Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Not at all. There are clearly different interpretations. For example, what does the Quran say on modesty for women? Some would interpret it as requiring women to wear Niqabs, others would interpret it as simply wearing a veil and others would interpret it as merely dressing moderately (but not necessarily wearing a veil). There is by no means universal consensus among Muslims as to how this instruction for modesty should be applied in everyday life.

Then we also have more controversial issues such as homosexuality. How one interprets the story of Lut would depend on the individual. Progressive Muslims tend to have a more accepting stance towards homosexuality. In Indonesia for example, there are quite a number of vocal Muslim advocates for LGBT rights within Islam.
    i can honestly see why people buy you. calm, well spoken and mention a few relevant big words every now . pity i aint naive.

youre lucky that these people havent picked up a real book or they'd shake their heads in belief at some of the things u try to sell. more aimed at the latter part of yo post.

ReputationRep:

This is just a quick varied list I complied and is by no means exhaustive.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A Quiet Revolution: The Veil's Resurgence, from the Middle East to America - Leila Ahmed

Progressive Muslims: On Justice, Gender, and Pluralism - Omid Safi

Sexual Ethics And Islam: Feminist Reflections on Qur'an, Hadith, and Jurisprudence - Kecia Ali

Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective - Amina Wadud

"Believing Women" in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an - Asma Barlas

Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800 - Khaled El-Rouayheb

Living Out Islam: Voices of Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims - Scott Siraj Al-Haqq Kugle

Homosexuality in Islam: Critical Reflection on Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims - Scott Siraj Al-Haqq Kugle

Women Shaping Islam: Reading the Qu'ran in Indonesia - Pieternella van Doorn-Harder

Paradise Beneath Her Feet: How Women Are Transforming the Middle East - Isobel Coleman

How to Win a Cosmic War: God, Globalization, and the End of the War on Terror - Reza Aslan

The Great Theft: Wrestling Islam from the Extremists - Khaled Abou El Fadl

Islamic Pacifism: Global Muslims in the Post-Osama Era - Arsalan Iftikhar

The Second Message of Islam - Mahmud Muhammad Taha

The Place of Tolerance in Islam - Khaled Abou El Fadl

Inside The Gender Jihad: Women's Reform in Islam - Amina Wadud

Beyond the Veil: Male-Female Dynamics in Modern Muslim Society - Fatema Mernissi

The Future of Islam - John L. Esposito

No god but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam - Reza Aslan

Toward an Islamic Reformation: Civil Liberties, Human Rights, and International Law - Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na'im

Islam and the Secular State: Negotiating the Future of Shari'a - Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na'im

Standing Alone in Mecca: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam - Asra Nomani

The Muslim next door : the Qurʼan, the media, and that veil thing - Sumbul Ali-Karamali

Women and Gender in Islam: Historical Roots of a Modern Debate - Leila Ahmed

The Trouble With Islam Today: A Muslim's Call for Reform in Her Faith - Irshad Manji

I Speak for Myself: American Women on Being Muslim - Maria M. Ebrahimji

The Politics of the Veil - Joan Wallach Scott

Liberal Islam: A Sourcebook - Charles Kurzman

Halal Monk: A Christian on a Journey through Islam - Jonas Yunus Atlas

that book list :rofl:

what a load of codswallop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SignFromDog)
    I've always been on the opinion that the Yahwehite religions become worse with each incarnation; Judaism, while it can be a bit gnarly and exclusive, generally keeps to itself and has never been particularly disposed to seek converts and evangelise. With Yahwehism 2.0 (or Christianity), you had Judaic scripture rolled up into a new package with new-fangled innovations (such as the concept of hell, and the need to "save" souls).

With Yahwehism 3.0 (or Islam), they adopted all the old prophets and origin myths of the Jews, accepted Jesus as a major figure (apparently he is not just a prophet in Islam; in Islamic eschatology, Jesus and the Mahdi return as a duo in the end times). But Islam also took on a much more pugnacious and aggressive focus on conversion. Yahwehism seems to become more aggressive as each update is rolled out.
    Some people like the fact Judaism does not actively seek converts, respect that Jews leave others to live their lives in peace, but others say it makes them racist, superior in their attitude and use it against them.

(Original post by SignFromDog)
    I do find Islam to be somewhat mesmeric, and attractive, for two reasons. The first is the purity of its monotheism; they really cut away a lot of the superfluous nonsense about Holy Ghosts and the rest, to focus on a very singular, austere god. The other is that it has an almost legalistic approach to scriptural construction; Islamic jurisprudence almost feels like a kind of religious common-law. Although I utterly abhor the content of Islamic law, the interpretive framework they use comes across as more robust, and more intellectually-disposed, than Christianity.

Christianity is a religion of faith, you don't really have to follow any code, so long as you believe you are saved. Judaism and Islam are both religions of laws, but I think the way the laws have developed in Judaism make it seem less plausible given that it was very gradual and has undeniably been changed since the days of the Pharisees etc.

Islam is by far the most brutal, but it has an elegance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gisco)
    wow lol, now you're trying to pre-corrupt prospective muslims too. your deception and lies are disgusting epi. i wish that you would grow up one day.
    It is humorous that you feel the need to create another account just to reply to my posts. I am still waiting for you to reply to my thread.

(Original post by gisco)
    you have the wrong view of him. i dont want to sound harsh but youve fallen for the old "long well written posts = knowledgeable" trick.

if you want to learn about islam, go ask someone else.

if you want to learn about something thats not islam, consult epicurean. even if you ask him about islam, you will not learn about islam. hes great at twisting things, putting forward exceptionally weak arguments in a good way and so looking like he knows things.

most muslims will shake their heads in disbelief at his "knowledge".

ive pointed the hole out, now dont fall into it.
    If you wish to teach the OP about your homophobic interpretations, by all means go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    It is humorous that you feel the need to create another account just to reply to my posts. I am still waiting for you to reply to my thread.
    He is someone you know?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Reputedly authentic Hadeeth narrate that Aisha was 9 when Muhammad had sex with her.

That aside, how can you not see the irony of your own comment? You weren't around at the time of Muhammed either, so how can you then say any of it is true?
    got a question

i dont even disagree with u here cept the irony bit coz i cant be bothered reading the convo back fully.

i notice sumfin with u anti islam people. a muslim says sumfim fishy like rejecting a authentic hadith thing, u lot point it out. ur man epicurean pulls this rubbish all the time, why do u big atheists or whatever u are, never atk each other when one of ur lot pulls this rubbish

it just seems like ur here to correct muslims but not each other.

ReputationRep:
    He is someone you know?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    i refuted him on his thread a few weeks back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gisco)
    i refuted him on his thread a few weeks back
    I see.

ReputationRep:
    I see.
    do i know u?

seem familiar. u someones dupe? perm banned user?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gisco)
    do i know u?

seem familiar
    Perhaps you're my IRL bestie and we never knew it

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you're my IRL bestie and we never knew it
    would be awkward :lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.