Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    I wonder, how different is it to have 20,000 people out of work and on benefits paid by the taxpayer, or 20,000 people in work artificially supported by the taxpayer.
    If these people are smart they'll save their wages and leave Scunthorpe should commodity prices remain depressed to which they'll pay more attention.

As harsh as it sounds though I don't have a problem with increased wealth concentration in the cities at the expense of small towns. Leeds and Manchester are thriving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darren96)
    So when the Scunthorpe Steelworks closes within a few years, it will have an knock on effect which will at least put 20,000 out of work. Basically the end of Scunthorpe. It will be cheaper to save the works now rather then pay to reinvent a whole townS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's pissing into the wind though. Steel is a dying industry for a bunch of reasons; yes globalisation but also technological obsolescence. These pressures are only going to grow. We could prop up the plant, but how much money do we have to throw down the drain before the inevitable happens? If we were going to throw money at Scunthorpe, there are more productive ways to do it than steel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Actually it's not "all the same crap" - not only can different processes produce different qualities of steel, but there are many, many different grades of steel, for different applications.

When designing with British steel you do not need to de-rate its strength in Eurocode, as the British steel industry is considered advanced enough such that the steel it produces can be guaranteed to be at or above the specified strength. However I'm not sure whether this also applies to Chinese steel as I have never (knowingly) designed using it.

The American Institute of Steel Construction has also issued warnings on the quality of Chinese steel.

Of course, semi-finished steel slabs are not going to be competitively produced in the UK. But I do think we can be competitive in producing finished, higher grade products.
    I'm not an expert on steel but what I can tell you is that I have been involved in the erection of about 1000 wind turbines on about 12 wind farms in the US. Most of the towers we put up were made in China. Never had a problem with the steel (it was their paint shops that gave us most headaches)

China has dominated the steel industry for a while now. They certainly produce cheaper than the UK and the once mighty US steel industries. Couldn't say whether the quality is better or worse - it's fit for purpose.

ReputationRep:
    "There'll always be a happy hour,
    For those with money, jobs and power,
    They'll never realise the hurt,
    They cause to men they treat like dir
    t,"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    "There'll always be a happy hour,
    For those with money, jobs and power,
    They'll never realise the hurt,
    They cause to men they treat like dir
    t,"
    You can't have a truly equal society with out true communism with democracy.

We all know it doesn't turn out like that and hard work isn't rewarded

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.