Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think Halloween is beneficial to society? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    As a parent, I hope that Halloween would stop being a thing. I don't want my toddlers high on sugar and my teenagers dressing like sluts.
    Well then if you take you toddlers trick-or-treating tell them they have to save the sweets for later.

And then accept that you don't have any right over your child's body and let your teenagers dress how they want.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Smilin’ Knight)
    spirit.... gettit?!? :awesome:
    Ah good, at least someone picked up on it :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    There are a lot of mixed opinions about Halloween. Some people say it's a lot of good fun for all ages, and others may say it's anti-religious, Americanised, and not good for society. What do you think about Halloween? Do you celebrate or take part in it?
    I don't partake these days but don't really mind it-most of our customs are from other countries anyway so I don't mind it being Americanised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Well then if you take you toddlers trick-or-treating tell them they have to save the sweets for later.

And then accept that you don't have any right over your child's body and let your teenagers dress how they want.
    I feel like a failed mother... my toddlers have no concept of time (perhaps because they're young and a day seems like eternity for them) and the need to save. How are they going to afford a mortgage in the future?

As for teenagers dressing sluttily, haven't gone there yet, but as long as they are living in my house, eating my own food, and receiving pocket money from me, I think it's fair for me to tell them what they should wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    As a parent, I hope that Halloween would stop being a thing. I don't want my toddlers high on sugar and my teenagers dressing like sluts.
    Just don't take them trick-or-treating. I've never been in my life and it's done me absolutely no harm whatsoever. My brother has been a couple of times because he used to go and stay with friends for Hallowe'en, but my mum disagrees with it on principle (although we do always have sweets on hand and a pumpkin outside, but most years we don't get more than one trick-or-treater) so it wasn't something we took part in.

We apple-bob, eat doughnuts on strings blindfolded and do other things, so we still have fun, but we've never got into the whole dressing-up-and-eating-sweets thing.

Hallowe'en doesn't need to stop being a thing, you just need to set expectations for your children.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.