Turn on thread page Beta

Mixed race people's dating preferences watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Seraphina~)
    Skin colour should never be of consideration when choosing someone to be in a relationship with. What counts is the internal characteristics like care, concern, truthfulness, reliance, sense of humour and so much more. The inside counts more than anything else. I am sorry that some don't feel this way than well that's just me.
    I completely agree

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed race and exclusively dated white men... I'm not sure if that's more chance than anything though, living in the UK. Generally I'm more attracted to white men though, I tend to go for pale guys, not even into that much of a tan...

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed and like to date other mixed people though. However not necessarily what I am mixed with. I just admire beauty, I don't care exactly what the nationality is but it's a strange thing to "observe" it though. Why do you care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    I'm mixed race and exclusively dated white men... I'm not sure if that's more chance than anything though, living in the UK. Generally I'm more attracted to white men though, I tend to go for pale guys, not even into that much of a tan...
    What is your mix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rat poison)
    What is your mix
    Half English, half Pakistani

ReputationRep:
    Half English, half Pakistani
    That makes sense that you'd go strictly for white, especially if your Pakistani parent didn't instill Pakistani culture in you, or if you're in a predominantly white area. But it just reminds me of Adelante la Raza which is what Latin Americans practice; it means "advance the race." Quite disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense that you'd go strictly for white, especially if your Pakistani parent didn't instill Pakistani culture in you, or if you're in a predominantly white area. But it just reminds me of Adelante la Raza which is what Latin Americans practice; it means "advance the race." Quite disturbing.
    I wouldn't rule out dating men of other races, I just think it's chance really - the areas I grew up in/went to school in weren't particularly 'white' but my school was mostly. The guys I've clicked with have just tended to be white, I think.

Pakistani culture doesn't really have anything to do with it... and neither parent is religious so neither had any massive influence that way either.

Not really sure what you're on about with the last bit...

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't rule out dating men of other races, I just think it's chance really - the areas I grew up in/went to school in weren't particularly 'white' but my school was mostly. The guys I've clicked with have just tended to be white, I think.

Pakistani culture doesn't really have anything to do with it... and neither parent is religious so neither had any massive influence that way either.

Not really sure what you're on about with the last bit...
    Culture does have something to do with how comfortable you are with being Pakistani. Mixed people have huge complexes; everyone knows this. It's, feeling the need to pick which side, which is sad. Or, often times if there are more of their other half in an area where they're raised--sometimes no one like their other half at all--they don't identify with that other part of them and might even resent being mixed. It's all a thing about acceptance usually. I was fortunate to be half black and half East Indian in an area where there were mostly black and brown people but you hear it all the time that mixed race people struggle with identity and acceptance. And what I meant by the last bit was pretty self explanatory. People often times mix to whiten their bloodline.

ReputationRep:
    Culture does have something to do with how comfortable you are with being Pakistani. Mixed people have huge complexes; everyone knows this. It's, feeling the need to pick which side, which is sad. Or, often times if there are more of their other half in an area where they're raised--sometimes no one like their other half at all--they don't identify with that other part of them and might even resent being mixed. It's all a thing about acceptance usually. I was fortunate to be half black and half East Indian in an area where there were mostly black and brown people but you hear it all the time that mixed race people struggle with identity and acceptance. And what I meant by the last bit was pretty self explanatory. People often times mix to whiten their bloodline.
    Nice stereotyping... there are things I dislike about both cultures, but equally things I love about both. It's not about 'picking sides' for every single mixed race person.

Yeah, I got that - what I didn't like so much is the inference that that's what my dad did when he married my mum or that's what I'm doing by dating white men...

ReputationRep:
    Nice stereotyping... there are things I dislike about both cultures, but equally things I love about both. It's not about 'picking sides' for every single mixed race person.

Yeah, I got that - what I didn't like so much is the inference that that's what my dad did when he married my mum or that's what I'm doing by dating white men...
    Well that's my inference. I was bringing it to the discussion because it's relevant and prevalent in the mixed community. Of course you'd get bothered by it though but it had to be said just to put it out there that Adelante la Raza is a thing across the globe. It might not be what you are consciously or intentionally doing, but it's what many people who are mixed with white do. I kinda do it as well; I prefer Indian or Indian looking women over pure black. I say what I said about whitening the race because people subconsciously date what they feel if they had a child together, how their mate would contribute to the offspring. If you don't agree, take it up with science and sociology. If that's not what you are doing, then..ok.

ReputationRep:
    You're talking about racial whitening, which

a) was practiced in many countries in Latin America. Past tense.

b) was implemented systematically by the racist white Europeans, not by the former slaves or indigenous peoples themselves. There is a massive difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    This is so true. I don't know many mixed race people. The ones I do know are just acquaintances. I myself am mixed race and wouldn't mind dating a mixed race person but everyone I know is either Arab or European
    That's very true!
    Here I see lots of mixed black and white people which is pretty cool, but the only ones I really know are my family members.
    There should be a dating site to meet mixed race singles haha

ReputationRep:
    Well that's my inference. I was bringing it to the discussion because it's relevant and prevalent in the mixed community. Of course you'd get bothered by it though but it had to be said just to put it out there that Adelante la Raza is a thing across the globe. It might not be what you are consciously or intentionally doing, but it's what many people who are mixed with white do. I kinda do it as well; I prefer Indian or Indian looking women over pure black. I say what I said about whitening the race because people subconsciously date what they feel if they had a child together, how their mate would contribute to the offspring. If you don't agree, take it up with science and sociology. If that's not what you are doing, then..ok.
    I know about traits of attraction thanks, I'm studying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    You're talking about racial whitening, which

a) was practiced in many countries in Latin America. Past tense.

b) was implemented systematically by the racist white Europeans, not by the former slaves or indigenous peoples themselves. There is a massive difference.
    No it's not practice"d." It was implement"ed" during slavery obviously; so were all the other stereotypes that are applied today. But it is still culturally practiced today, I know what I'm talking about. Do you know any Latino people???

ReputationRep:
    I know about traits of attraction thanks, I'm studying it.
    Ok so then what are you getting bitter about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    That's very true!
    Here I see lots of mixed black and white people which is pretty cool, but the only ones I really know are my family members.
    There should be a dating site to meet mixed race singles haha
    There is one: Tannedpeopleconnect.com

ReputationRep:
    Ok so then what are you getting bitter about?
    The fact that you're implying I'm consciously going for white men in an attempt to 'better' my bloodline maybe?!

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you're implying I'm consciously going for white men in an attempt to 'better' my bloodline maybe?!
    We've already acknowledged that.

edit**I said subconsciously.

I specifically said you may not be consciously doing it.

ReputationRep:
    We've already acknowledged that.
    Do you literally think that I sat down one day and decided to date white men exclusively? If you do then there's literally no point in us carrying on this conversation, I don't have the time for ignorance on this scale.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not practice"d." It was implement"ed" during slavery obviously; so were all the other stereotypes that are applied today. But it is still culturally practiced today, I know what I'm talking about. Do you know any Latino people???
    Yeah I do actually: myself and everybody else in the South American country I live in. Do you?

Whatever issues you have with your ethnic background are your own, don't try to apply them to everybody else.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.