Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing it depends on the person. For instance say, someone who is relatively unintelligent will perhaps disdain intelligence as unnecessary; and I think both people would get sick of each other very quickly. Though suppose the less intelligent person who doesn't really value intelligence very much may do so to a degree as a marker for power or wealth? I dunno.

Ultimately it probably matters to the extent that they are at least fairly intelligent so can strike up a conversation, and will probs depend on the person judging.

Being reallyyy 'intelligent' can often be a turn off in some ways, as I assume they will be more likely to talk about particle physics or world affairs and random crap like that, whilst most people in our society will want to talk about... what happened on Coronation St., how footy went, or clothes etc. Intelligence also often comes at a cost of other skills, like social skills... or those slick dancing moves which girls seem to love so much (lol).

I read a journal a while ago sayin that sexual preferences are mostly subconscious - so may not actually matter all that much? Don't think it's something we tend to evaluate greatly - but rather just go 'they're hot' (or not).

Would think its more of a factor for relationship viability, rather than attraction specifically.

Come to think about it I've only crushed on guys who are intelligent, mature and confident. So yes, intelligence is a factor of attraction. It might have to do with me being on the nerdy side as well, it feels like we're on the same wavelength. There are guys who can't make an interesting conversation as they lack the brains. Saying that, book smart guys are actually a turn off as they tend to be arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    OK so it seems women are attracted to ambition and promise, which seems fairly obvious. However, what if there was a guy who was very intelligent and driven but try as he might, he ends up at a dead end job with no way to go up. Slowly but surely this wears down his spirits and he feels like giving up. This could be for lofty dreams like being a successful singer, actor, writer, etc.

Loads of people, realistically, are like this in the sense that they lose their drive and ambition the older they get. But would any of you date someone like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    OK so it seems women are attracted to ambition and promise, which seems fairly obvious. However, what if there was a guy who was very intelligent and driven but try as he might, he ends up at a dead end job with no way to go up. Slowly but surely this wears down his spirits and he feels like giving up. This could be for lofty dreams like being a successful singer, actor, writer, etc.

Loads of people, realistically, are like this in the sense that they lose their drive and ambition the older they get. But would any of you date someone like that?
    I've never seen a girl get with a guy in a nightclub for his 'ambition and promise'.

It probably goes:

-Confidence
    -Looks
    -Personality

In that order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    I've never seen a girl get with a guy in a nightclub for his 'ambition and promise'.

It probably goes:

-Confidence
    -Looks
    -Personality

In that order.
    That's just casual hook ups or ons's though. I'm talking about long term relationships. Of course women take ambition and promise into account as it may indicate how successful said guy will be in life, and thus how well he can provide etc.

ReputationRep:
    there not atractted to me so obviously not

they just like goodlooking men with money hypocritical feminazis

ReputationRep:
    Short answer is yes. But social skills are also an important factor if not more important :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.