• Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Unfortunately I've already sent off my UCAS, how can I change it? :laugh:

Haha this is amazing! :kissing2::hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This can be you
    lol thank you fleming OMG i love it!!!!!
    :kiss::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Unfortunately I've already sent off my UCAS, how can I change it? :laugh:

Haha this is amazing! :kissing2::hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This can be you
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    lol thank you fleming OMG i love it!!!!!
    :kiss::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs:
    I know I'm late guys, but Name:  1446672538434.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  39.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Is this cool enough for the Cool Society? I took this picture of a thin section I was looking at under the microscope today! It's basically a very, very thin slice of rock - every one of those distinct coloured blobs is a mineral crystal. The reason why they look so amazing is because the sample is in between two crossed polar filters which results in some interesting optical phenomena (which can help you diagnose the mineral) and there's also an additional filter that shifts the hue from greyscale to coloured. The colours pulsate when you rotate the stage! It's so cool...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I know I'm late guys, but Name:  1446672538434.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  39.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :rofl: lol we're not getting married :lol:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Is this cool enough for the Cool Society? I took this picture of a thin section I was looking at under the microscope today! It's basically a very, very thin slice of rock - every one of those distinct coloured blobs is a mineral crystal. The reason why they look so amazing is because the sample is in between two crossed polar filters which results in some interesting optical phenomena (which can help you diagnose the mineral) and there's also an additional filter that shifts the hue from greyscale to coloured. The colours pulsate when you rotate the stage! It's so cool...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    How the hell did you take a picture through a microscope??? It looks awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Erm, how did this end up in FG? Moved to Chat.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Spoiler:
    Show
    omg definetly that is sooooo cool!!!!!!! i remember doing something similar on work experience, can i add one just to geg? :puppyeyes:
    ok here is one:
    Name:  Garnet-Mica Schist 1 XPL.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  515.3 KB
    and another
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How the hell did you take a picture through a microscope??? It looks awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With my phone! I didn't think it would work either but if you hold it steady and at the right distance from the lens, you can also take some pretty decent photos! Here's a photo without the coloured filter for comparison. Still looks pretty awesome and this view is actually more useful because it helps you identify what the minerals are. You should be able to make out a couple of crystals that have long stripes across them (there's one on the left and one on the right) - that's plagioclase!

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    hi i want to be cool
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    omg definetly that is sooooo cool!!!!!!! i remember doing something similar on work experience, can i add one just to geg? :puppyeyes:
    ok here is one:
    Name:  Garnet-Mica Schist 1 XPL.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  515.3 KB
    and another
    Oh wow, awesome! Was that under a digital microscope? Those are some very rounded grains (in the second one)! What were you doing on work experience?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Erm, how did this end up in FG? Moved to Chat.
    thank you
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Oh wow, awesome! Was that under a digital microscope? Those are some very rounded grains (in the second one)! What were you doing on work experience?
    lol thanks i'm gonna be totally honest, i don't know :lol:
    environmental science at a uni
    i don't know much about rocks tho,animals are more my thing you are the true rock/mineral king :adore::crown:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    lol thanks i'm gonna be totally honest, i don't know :lol:
    environmental science at a uni
    i don't know much about rocks tho,animals are more my thing you are the true rock/mineral king :adore::crown:
    Sounds amazing, I'd have loved to have done some environmental science work experience! When I did my work experience, I was stuck in a freezer for a week... (it was a lot of fun though).
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Sounds amazing, I'd have loved to have done some environmental science work experience! When I did my work experience, I was stuck in a freezer for a week... (it was a lot of fun though).
    a freezer?! lol why? what were you doing in there?
    :penguinhug::snowman::snow:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    With my phone! I didn't think it would work either but if you hold it steady and at the right distance from the lens, you can also take some pretty decent photos! Here's a photo without the coloured filter for comparison. Still looks pretty awesome and this view is actually more useful because it helps you identify what the minerals are. You should be able to make out a couple of crystals that have long stripes across them (there's one on the left and one on the right) - that's plagioclase!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Fair enough. I can never see through a microscope

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    a freezer?! lol why? what were you doing in there?
    :penguinhug::snowman::snow:
    I was helping a 4th year student who was basically making mini-glaciers to simulate how they respond when you apply pressure at different rates. So we spent a few hours sieving snow to a very specific size in a massive big indoor freezer at minus 30, then we'd rush the ice samples over to a nearby room and into a container full of liquid nitrogen which was inside a giant crushing machine, which then proceeded to crush the sample and measure its response over a few hours!
    Fair enough. I can never see through a microscopePosted from TSR Mobile
    It takes practice, you need to make sure that the eye pieces are the right distance apart and that your eyelashes aren't in the way.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It takes practice, you need to make sure that the eye pieces are the right distance apart and that your eyelashes aren't in the way.
    Glasses get in the way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Glasses get in the way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yes
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Oh yes
    Ahhhh well, never use them anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Ahhhh well, never use them anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy :crazy:
    i think i can help, as a birdwatcher who wears glasses and uses binoculars you can get some binoculars with cup that fold up an can be used with glasses, there are probably microscopes like that too

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.