Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

cant stand religion bashers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anno3742)
    And whos invention was humans
    This assumes we're an invention, for which there is no evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    We exist therefore it's likely that more life forms exist. The fact that we're real proves it's possible whereas no empirical evidence for God has been brought forward.
    Depends on your definition or interpretation of God though.
    If you're a pantheist/monist, then the fact that we exist means that God also exists - as in we are God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    I think you're possibly taking God entirely out of the equation there. These faults are to glorify God. Have you ever read What Katy Did? It's not particularly religious, but Katy, through her disability, took another look on life, and benefitted, becoming a better person in herself. This happens again and again irl. I have a friend with a life-long disability, and she is the happiest, most content person I have ever met. As for those children who die before they are even properly conscious, their deaths are actually for the benefit of the parents, and it helps them to grow stronger in their faith. For people in the same situation who don't believe in a God, the situation is far more traumatic, and they may become bitter about it for the rest of their lives. Really, which do you think is more preferable? Can you see what I'm trying to say?
    Oh am I? He's meant to be omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent according to abrahamic dogma.Please, do allow me to enlighten you on what those three words actually mean:

"Omnipresence or ubiquity is the property of being present everywhere. This property is most commonly used in a religious context as an attribute of a deity or supreme being"

"Omnipotence is the quality of having unlimited power. Monotheistic religions generally attribute omnipotence to only the deity of their faith."

"Omniscience is having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things."

He's perfection personified into a being. He has unlimited power, unlimited knowledge and can be everywhere. He has everything, us mere mortals lack. As such, shouldn't he in all his mightness, be able to help those less imperfect beings? I have written a short note to remind me to look for the book you suggested, as I do have an interest and will probably persuit a GEM degree following my undergrad and I believe I will benefit from having the perspective of a potential patient case. With that being said, you sound incredibly patronizing. Like you, I know and I am aware of people with a range of disabilites who have thrived against all adversity and have managed to become self-reliant and achieve economical and personal independence. But they represent a small percentage within a much larger spectrum of those who are prisioners of their own body and mind. I have come to known parents with children who simply can't cope and they just leave because it is simply too much pain to bear or they leave the care of their children in the hands of others.

That happened to my grandmother, as my mother's cousin has Down Syndrome and my grandmother was the one who assumed the responsability as care giver because his own parents just couldn't cope. At the time, my mum was getting her QTS and was the one in charge of teching her own cousin basic notions of mathematics and science. If that kid got into a special needs school was thanks to the effort both my mother and my grandmother made. He's now in his 30s, and hasn't learnt nothing else other than what my mum taught him, while being assigned from one caregiver to another, because they simply can't deal with him. So my grandmother just keeps taking care of him, even if she's bloody 78. Tell me, do you think this is a good standard of living for either him or my grandmother? My grandmother should be enjoying life right now and not being a caregiver because her brother decided it wasn't his due.

Moreover, a child shouldn't be dying before his parents, it simply isn't natural. And trust me, a parent can never come in terms with it. It is just unnatural and unfair. Religion fools them into believing it is a mechanism to cope with the loss, when in real life it isn't as simple that, because while they're still holding to life, their children are ashes or buried in a tomb. People grieve in different ways , and not everybody sees a solution in religion, as it is not going to comfort you for the rest of your life. You don't recover from the death of a beloved one, simple as that. All you do is cope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Depends on your definition or interpretation of God though.
    If you're a pantheist/monist, then the fact that we exist means that God also exists - as in we are God.
    That's true and I am a pantheist, but I was operating on the likely assumption that the poster was referencing an Abrahamic deity given that his phrasing implies separation between us and Deity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    That's true and I am a pantheist, but I was operating on the likely assumption that the poster was referencing an Abrahamic deity given that his phrasing implies separation between us and Deity
    Ahah... same here (pantheist)

Fair enough.
    This dualism of the Abrahamics I tell you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepimpernel)
    Oh am I? He's meant to be omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent according to abrahamic dogma.Please, do allow me to enlighten you on what those three words actually mean:

"Omnipresence or ubiquity is the property of being present everywhere. This property is most commonly used in a religious context as an attribute of a deity or supreme being"

"Omnipotence is the quality of having unlimited power. Monotheistic religions generally attribute omnipotence to only the deity of their faith."

"Omniscience is having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things."

He's perfection personified into a being. He has unlimited power, unlimited knowledge and can be everywhere. He has everything, us mere mortals lack. As such, shouldn't he in all his mightness, be able to help those less imperfect beings? I have written a short note to remind me to look for the book you suggested, as I do have an interest and will probably persuit a GEM degree following my undergrad and I believe I will benefit from having the perspective of a potential patient case. With that being said, you sound incredibly patronizing. Like you, I know and I am aware of people with a range of disabilites who have thrived against all adversity and have managed to become self-reliant and achieve economical and personal independence. But they represent a small percentage within a much larger spectrum of those who are prisioners of their own body and mind. I have come to known parents with children who simply can't cope and they just leave because it is simply too much pain to bear or they leave the care of their children in the hands of others.

That happened to my grandmother, as my mother's cousin has Down Syndrome and my grandmother was the one who assumed the responsability as care giver because his own parents just couldn't cope. At the time, my mum was getting her QTS and was the one in charge of teching her own cousin basic notions of mathematics and science. If that kid got into a special needs school was thanks to the effort both my mother and my grandmother made. He's now in his 30s, and hasn't learnt nothing else other than what my mum taught him, while being assigned from one caregiver to another, because they simply can't deal with him. So my grandmother just keeps taking care of him, even if she's bloody 78. Tell me, do you think this is a good standard of living for either him or my grandmother? My grandmother should be enjoying life right now and not being a caregiver because her brother decided it wasn't his due.

Moreover, a child shouldn't be dying before his parents, it simply isn't natural. And trust me, a parent can never come in terms with it. It is just unnatural and unfair. Religion fools them into believing it is a mechanism to cope with the loss, when in real life it isn't as simple that, because while they're still holding to life, their children are ashes or buried in a tomb. People grieve in different ways , and not everybody sees a solution in religion, as it is not going to comfort you for the rest of your life. You don't recover from the death of a beloved one, simple as that. All you do is cope.
    Firstly, I'm sorry if I sounded patronizing - it certainly wasn't intended!
    (Btw WKD is a well-known children's fiction, but there are plenty of other books out there which you can read if you want)
    Secondly, concerning the three "O"s, I'm not denying that at all. In fact, it strengthens my point - God could stop it if He wanted to, but instead, He's chosen to take another route which (as the threes "O"s illustrate, he has infinitely more intelligence than us, hence forming a decision which we, as humans, might not even consider, in the same circumstance), in His wisdom, is best. The reasons have been explained above, and if you like, I'll dig a bit deeper.
    Those who are imprisoned in their belief against a god will also be imprisoned mentally, when they come to a crisis. Crises come to everyone ultimately, as it is the best way for people to come to God. God offers a harbour, a resting-place for those who are psychologically or physically sick or weary - how can this be a bad thing? Come to that, how can this even be man-made?
    But to return from my digression, I'm not saying that people, through God, no longer care about or remember their lost loved ones - instead, it is simply another kind of the same thing: a crisis which, through the help of those around them, may let them be brought to God. Don't forget Heaven (btw in this argument, it's assumed that God exists) or any other afterlife - the parents will see their children again, and be united through God. A full circle.
    I hope that answers your question!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by robinfr)
    I seriously don't understand religion bashers the ones that don't really know anything about the religion and the people who follow the religion. I dunno it just gets on my nerves. does it get on anyone else's nerves
    My best friend is exactly like what I've put in bold above. As much as I love her as a friend, I do think she's a complete idiot when it comes to her views on religion. Then again, she clearly thinks I'm a complete idiot when it comes to my views on religion, so we're equal Myself and my friend ended up agreeing (after falling out majorly and not speaking for about 6 months because I got fed up of her vile behaviour) to not talk about religion or when we do, that she will try and be less obtuse/ignorant/deliberately offensive, and I will try and not take it to heart so much :yep:

Generally though, I'd say it's not worth wasting your time with people who like or want to criticise something they don't really know anything about. Haters gonna hate (hate, hate, hate, hate) and all that. Life is too short to waste time talking to ignorant people :eek: Talking to people who are either also religious, or who are NOT religious but can talk intelligently on the subject, is far more fruitful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    who are NOT religious but can talk intelligently on the subject, is far more fruitful
    You have to admit, though, that some of the more knowledgeable people who discuss religion on TSR are atheists.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You have to admit, though, that some of the more knowledgeable people who discuss religion on TSR are atheists.
    I don't think I said anything that implied otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    You only see a lot of this on this forum because it's populated by young people who want to be unique and edgy and who have just learnt about Nietzsche.
    Only Nietzsche was very knowledgeable about religion and even if he was wrong, he knew what he was talking about. People then knew Christianity really well 'cos it was drilled into them by their parents and teachers and, ofc, it was an integral part of their culture and everyday life.

Nowadays, people know **** all about religion. They only know that Christianity disapproves of homosexual acts and of all sex outside marriage. That is enough to turn someone who's young against Christianity forever. That plus the fact that it puts serious limits to what you might do in order to advance your career and your ego. No lying, no deception etc. It's a difficult life because it puts limits to some of our deepest desires so most people people naturally dislike it.

The so-called "rational" arguments against/in favour religion are, imo, not in the least influential among believers and non-believers. There is no conclusive argument (or arguments) either against or in favour of belief in God. It ultimately comes down to a person's wishes and prejudices and what he is willing to believe given his identity, his preferences, etc. Whether the cosmological argument or the argument from design or the moral argument succeed is something most people will never care to explore (and if and when they do, it's unlikely that they will be moved by any of those)

ReputationRep:
    You only see a lot of this on this forum because it's populated by young people who want to be unique and edgy and who have just learnt about Nietzsche.
    If they were read in Nietzsche (or indeed somebody like sartre) then these comments wouldn't exist as much as they do

More likely it's from the likes of Dawkins tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    My best friend is exactly like what I've put in bold above. As much as I love her as a friend, I do think she's a complete idiot when it comes to her views on religion. Then again, she clearly thinks I'm a complete idiot when it comes to my views on religion, so we're equal Myself and my friend ended up agreeing (after falling out majorly and not speaking for about 6 months because I got fed up of her vile behaviour) to not talk about religion or when we do, that she will try and be less obtuse/ignorant/deliberately offensive, and I will try and not take it to heart so much :yep:

Generally though, I'd say it's not worth wasting your time with people who like or want to criticise something they don't really know anything about. Haters gonna hate (hate, hate, hate, hate) and all that. Life is too short to waste time talking to ignorant people :eek: Talking to people who are either also religious, or who are NOT religious but can talk intelligently on the subject, is far more fruitful
    Why, what are her views on religion?
    I personally think its some kind of defense mechanism that humans use to reduce anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    Just live your life and ignore the haters.

Okeh.........
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    I think you're possibly taking God entirely out of the equation there. These faults are to glorify God. Have you ever read What Katy Did? It's not particularly religious, but Katy, through her disability, took another look on life, and benefitted, becoming a better person in herself. This happens again and again irl. I have a friend with a life-long disability, and she is the happiest, most content person I have ever met. As for those children who die before they are even properly conscious, their deaths are actually for the benefit of the parents, and it helps them to grow stronger in their faith. For people in the same situation who don't believe in a God, the situation is far more traumatic, and they may become bitter about it for the rest of their lives. Really, which do you think is more preferable? Can you see what I'm trying to say?
    Why don't you chop your legs off, it will make you a better person.

ReputationRep:
    im not trying to be edgy. stuff like this happens to me all the time because people have biased ignorant views about my religion and i was asking anyone if it got on their nerves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makbkuan)
    What I don't understand is, why do people believe that there are aliens out there but reject the idea of there being a God?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This might give you an idea as to why people think this is not the only place in the universe to support life (You might want to view it in its own tab)

Which god? There are thousands? People who beleive in One god reject thousands of others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most Competitive)
    If people want to be religious, let them. I see no point in criticising them because it's their life.
    That impacts the lives of wider society and the world
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Why, what are her views on religion?
    I personally think its some kind of defense mechanism that humans use to reduce anxiety.
    She thinks it's a load of BS and is completely wrong and that religion is a great evil. Which is fair enough, of course. But literally half her comments against me/my faith are incorrect. She (by her own admission) has not done her research and thus doesn't know what she's talking about, and so talks a load of BS.

I don't mind people ****ging off my faith or ****ging off me for having faith as long as they are not too rude, but they need to at least have some proper, vaguely tangible/factual reason for holding their beliefs, if they're going to sprout their views at me unsolicited :yep: Whereas my friend doesn't know what she's railing so hard against. It's quite amusing in some respects But because she's so rude about it, it's just very frustrating too :facepalm: Like, if I were straight and could marry in a church, I would not invite her to my wedding :nope: :erm: :nope:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Let me elucidate a little, then. Religions are man-made ideologies, created to influence and control superstitious people at a time when ignorance, illiteracy and a lack of scientific process were major problems to mankind. They seek to control people based on an inbuilt need to find the truth about our existence, and a tendency to be credulous.

They are not needed in the modern era. Scientific endeavour is beginning to answer the questions and democracy, diplomacy and social science allow us to understand and moderate behaviours.

It is the duty of every educated person to challenge superstitious belief at every opportunity.
    Nail / head

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.