Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    You can get tofu cheaper than that from a chinese shop. and lentils are a good source of protein and cheaper than eggs. I am poor and vegan, so I don't buy that it's for rich people. Eating eggs and cheese and milk is for rich people as they are more expensive than plants.
    And you can get cheaper eggs than those in Sainsbury from See Woo in London's Chinatown - your point being?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    And you can get cheaper eggs than those in Sainsbury from See Woo in London's Chinatown - your point being?
    It's more ethical not to eat eggs.

ReputationRep:
    Have either of you watched the youtube video on my post? If not, I encourage you to watch it if you have a few minutes. It may be enlightening.
    it has enlightened me and now i think egg is more good than before

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    So what quality is it that humans have to make them universally more potent moral subjects?
    I've honestly never really cared to think about it. What would be your thoughts on the matter?

ReputationRep:
    Reported for trolling. No need to troll dude.
    İn all honesty, yes it does make me feel bad but alas I'll continue to eat eggs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    I've honestly never really cared to think about it. What would be your thoughts on the matter?
    I don't see how species membership of those who are affected is in and of itself an important factor in making a moral decision.

There is not morally relevant quality in humans that is universally apparent or strong than non-human animals.

If it is a matter of intelligence, there are humans who are less intelligent (from what can be measured) than some non-human animals.

If it is a matter of ability to suffer, the same is true.

If it is a matter of ability to show empathy/sympathy, the same is true.

If it is a matter of ability to communicate, the same is true.

I am unable to find a morally relevant quality that sets out humans as more important moral subjects than animals.

So I put it to you again:
    Why is it that you would be so appalled by the notion that slavery is okay, but not of harm done to animals?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I concur.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that you would be so appalled by the notion that slavery is okay, but not of harm done to animals?
    Call me a right-wing, fascist Nazi, but I think the answer is this: because humans are humans, a superior animal until our cockroach overlords take us as slaves after a nuclear holocaust.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Probably because as a fellow human I can personally feel more affected by the plights of humans over animals. The notion of of suffering to humans is something I place above that of animals. Animal cruelty for the sake of it is obviously wrong, but if this is the process required for foodstuffs such as egg, then in my eyes so be it.

If there was a better way of creating the food in question, so here eggs, that didn't require such a process, then I'd be all for it.

ReputationRep:
    Call me a right-wing, fascist Nazi, but I think the answer is this: because humans are humans, a superior animal until our cockroach overlords take us as slaves after a nuclear holocaust.
    And what quality is it that all humans have that make them superior?

Also we're talking about the notion of being a moral subject, not how much power any one person has.

Why would you talk about power as species membership as if it is any more relevant than the power one human has over another?
    Part 1:
    Really you just put up an argument for slavery:
    Being able to do an action due to your power is moral.

Applied on the basis of species membership:
    Species A have the power to enslave Species B.
    Ergo, it is moral for species A to enslave species B.

Applied as a category within the human species.
    Selection A of humans have the power to enslave selection B of humans.
    Ergo, it is moral for selection A to enslave section B.

Unfortunately, the first application shows no more authority than the second.

By that logic you might as well say if I have the power to stab you and take your money, it is moral for me to do so.

You seem to have fallen into the is ought chasm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is%E2%80%93ought_problem

Please readdress the question.

ReputationRep:
    Watch this documentary about eggs and chicks:

Very interesting. Has it put you off eggs? The meat and dairy industries are awful. Think about where your food really comes from. Go Vegan for the animals! :woo:
    You don't need to go vegan for this. I have a friend who owns acres of land where hens and roosters are in a place what i would call a chicken heaven.

They are not locked in cage, they just roam around pecking what they want. Some of them have an army of chicks. Another bunch of them **** a doodle doos whenever they want and some of them even gets into a tussle.

Yes, some of them do meet their end, some of them do lose their eggs at night and some of them are sold. But nothing is as gruesome as what I saw in your video.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because as a fellow human I can personally feel more affected by the plights of humans over animals. The notion of of suffering to humans is something I place above that of animals. Animal cruelty for the sake of it is obviously wrong, but if this is the process required for foodstuffs such as egg, then in my eyes so be it.

If there was a better way of creating the food in question, so here eggs, that didn't require such a process, then I'd be all for it.
    Unfortunately you have not answered my question. I will however, reply to the content here regardless, and restate my question at the end.

Firstly, how would you feel if I said:
    "I feel more affected by the plight of white people over non-whites. The notion of suffering to white people is something I place above that of other races. Just beating the **** out of non-whites for the sake of it is obviously wrong, but if the process of business required for me to make money, such as slavery, then in my eyes so be it.

If there was a better way for creating money, so here slavery, that didn't require such cruelty, then I would be all for it."

It is exactly the same logic the same logic, it's just you seemingly arbitrarily decided that you would apply it to species membership, rather than to race membership.

My question however, was, what is the moral difference.
    Or is your argument that morality is reduced to what emotions the moral agent (person who tries to work out what is and isn't moral) decides?

Side note: Eggs aren't a required food stuff. You can live healthily on a vegan diet, and therefore one could compare your decision to eat eggs if based on simply your enjoyment of the taste or texture, or convenience of not being vegan, so someone who gets their sexual thrills from bestiality. Where would the difference be?

You chose to eat eggs, but you don't need to eat eggs.

In the same way they would chose to have sex with animals. But they wouldn't need to have sex with animals.

ReputationRep:
    I do. They taste delicious in the morning. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousForLife)
    I do. They taste delicious in the morning. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try replying to the content in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Gram for gram, lentils are about three times cheaper than eggs, and are also a great source of protein, iron and fibre without any of the cholesterol that eggs have.
    But cholesterol is tasty

ReputationRep:
    Why that is the rational social darwinists used, they thought black people and other non Caucasian people were a different race. If that were true, would genocide of these different races be legit? What if Neanderthals still existed? Would genocide of them be fine just because we have tanks and they have spears. Plus they are a different species of ape.

It's basically Planet of the Apes. We are the Apes that inherited the earth and there are many species that could or indeed did (Neanderthals for example) that fit the place humans held in that film...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Why that is the rational social darwinists used, they thought black people and other non Caucasian people were a different race. If that were true, would genocide of these different races be legit? What if Neanderthals still existed? Would genocide of them be fine just because we have tanks and they have spears. Plus they are a different species of ape.
    Good God, did you just agree with me?

I feel dirty now.

ReputationRep:

There is. It might make it more expansive. We might have to eat less animal products. But it is doable. It may even be desirable and necessary on an environmental front.

it isn't an either or binary decision between eating meat and going vegan. It's a continuous spectrum.

Good God, did you just agree with me?

I feel dirty now.
    I am rather flexible in my beliefs and have no qualms with acknowledging the effects my actions have on the world. Plus even if I don;t agree with a position on something there is often at least some sense behind it I agree with.

No doubt I;m still and evil human in your eyes though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    There is. It might make it more expansive. We might have to eat less animal products. But it is doable. It may even be desirable on an environmental front.

it isn't an either or binary decision between eating meat and going vegan. It's a continuous spectrum.

I am rather flexible in my beliefs and have no qualms with acknowledging the effects my actions have on the world. Plus even if I don;t agree with a position on something there is often at least some sense behind it I can see.
    Obviously going vegan is much closer to being morally neutral, rather than being on the negative side of the spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    3 eggs this morning morning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.