Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Someone told me I look "like a child" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    You don't find it insulting when people think you're her younger sister? You're on the path to sainthood then.
    Hm no
    If you say so

But Maggie, don't feel like you have to change because of that. Maybe wear more makeup and longer earrings, if you want x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggie_O)
    I was thinking that but I explained to Jenx what it really is. And not just her, but I've got it several times, I put more than one example in the OP??? I feel people think I'm younger so deserve less respect and I'm sick of it.

I just want to know how to look older/maturer. She could be being mean but if it's a necessary change...
    I've experienced this before too. I just don't listen and don't feel the need to wear tonss of makeup or do something different with my hair or clothes. Strange this is,I'm 5'8 with a youngish looking face! I would just say look online or on YouTube for style tips,they're so useful sometimes. Gok wan always gives out great fashion tips from what I've seen in a magazine I've read. But there should be many other materials online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Don't worry.

I'm 22. I had a ******* barista in Starbucks ask me "celebrating your GCSEs today?", earlier this summer.

I was like, I'm entering my final year of uni.... He just said 'oh wow! I thought you were 16 or something!?'.

I felt like asking whether he makes a habit of insulting his customers. Have a bit of tact ffs.
    You should've asked and seen the look on his face.

ReputationRep:
    "I carry a purse" - that cracked me up

Seriously stop being silly
    One comment - one - who was complimenting you on your young looks.
    Sometimes my parents confuse male and female - it's 'then' you should worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    She wasn't very happy when they arrested her at the airport because of it
    :erm: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint Etienne)
    "I carry a purse" - that cracked me up

Seriously stop being silly
    One comment - one - who was complimenting you on your young looks.
    Sometimes my parents confuse male and female - it's 'then' you should worry
    It's true; I do carry a purse lol I used to carry a backpack like a high schooler. So I thought, "hm...get a purse." lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I've experienced this before too. I just don't listen and don't feel the need to wear tonss of makeup or do something different with my hair or clothes. Strange this is,I'm 5'8 with a youngish looking face! I would just say look online or on YouTube for style tips,they're so useful sometimes. Gok wan always gives out great fashion tips from what I've seen in a magazine I've read. But there should be many other materials online
    I discovered the issue might be the roundness of my face and, although it looks really nice like I always get complimented when I wear an updo, apparently it makes the forehead noticeable and I already have like catlike eyes and chubby cheeks lol so I've always got "adorable" and "pretty" but not really "sexy or mature."

ReputationRep:
    I know this feel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    Hm no
    If you say so

But Maggie, don't feel like you have to change because of that. Maybe wear more makeup and longer earrings, if you want x
    My earrings are big enough lool
    I thought that was the issue, I wore these:
    <<not me

Now I wear similar ones just hearts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Looool i knew it. Ye my sister did law. And one of my close friends does law. Theres a certain type of person that goes into that course that you find in abundunce and theyre just uptight judgy snooty ***** that look down on other people that dont meet their criteria of 'cool' Or whatever haha.

You dress differently. People in law usually where boring clothes so thats why i think lol. Defo probably thinks you dont belong there.

Like i go to lectures in rollerblades and pjamas and my lecturers just laugh cus theyre cool and majority of people in this industry are chill.
    at bold. yea.
    And yes boring clothes like most of the students as it's a night class are like in their 30s and older. And they wear like blazers xD There's just one girl around my age but still older but she wears headscarves and speaks in ebonics yet somehow the professor is still nicer to her.

lmaoooo rollerblades no!? xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    I'm sorry to hear that Maggie_O. :hugs: <3 I haven't ever met anyone who finds this sort of thingy annoying before tbh, bc just like your teacher mentioned above..I actually think the majority view it as a compliment..which is semi-strange. I understand exactly why it may be really irritating since you're an adult + I dont think she should be saying stuff like that. Um, yes you should change your hairstyle as others have suggested. I think thatd make a difference - However, I don't know if you should wear make up just to appear older bc I don't know if it'd work either. Unless you'd be perfectly comfortable wearing it on a daily basis. What type are you planning to wear?

I'm sorry, that was a terrible attempt. :getmecoat: My advice is um that you should probably listen to ChickenMadness, he seems to know exactly what he's talking about >.< but I really hope you manage to solve the problem. If you ever need to talk about it further then I'll always be here for you. <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not planning to wear makeup at all tbh lol but as that's a common remedy like dark concealer to strongly shape the face (if done right, otherwise...:eek: loool I'd look like a vampire Idk :lol:.) I'm thinking perhaps get a fringe lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    I get that A LOT and I don't wear make up, so it's probably that. Or you just have a baby face.
    "Baby face" Gawsh. I guess that might just be it; I do have chubby cheeks even though I'm not a chubby person at all xD

But I don't think I'm ugly or anything. The main issue here is my professor and certain students in a lecture I go to might look down on me because they think I'm young and it makes me feel insecure.

ReputationRep:
    Not planning to wear makeup at all tbh lol but as that's a common remedy like dark concealer to strongly shape the face (if done right, otherwise...:eek: loool I'd look like a vampire Idk :lol:.) I'm thinking perhaps get a fringe lol
    Ohh right, okay I see. Ahh lol yes, well as long as you know what you're doing. XD A fringe sounds like a pretty good idea tbh¡ I got my haircut this afternoon and I'm literally internally crying everytime I look in the mirror. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I came from a lecture today and I've been going since term started

This woman leaves the class with me after it's done, and she says while holding the door open: "There you go my darling."

I smile as I always do which is like this ...lol

She then asks me, "Are you in this class?"

I'm like :erm: Then I say, "yes," almost in exasperation.

She says, "Oh! I thought you were someone's child, you look like a child."

I go =| but I feel angry so I just keep walking lol

She says, "it's a compliment, no?" and laughs.

:confused:

How on earth is telling a woman in her 20s she "looks like a child?"

It's weird to me because as a teen, I was told I look older. Now I look like a child?

And when I was walking into a corner shop once pushing a shopping trolley (lol), the door guy says "whoa don't run me over!" And I giggle. And then he says something I don't remember but then says, "You look 12."

By the way I'm 5'4 and 9 stone, and kinda curvy, kinda athletic physique. I don't wear makeup or show skin. I wear my hair in a big updo. I carry a purse.

I mean how can I look "older?"
    It's a good thing to look young!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh right, okay I see. Ahh lol yes, well as long as you know what you're doing. XD A fringe sounds like a pretty good idea tbh¡ I got my haircut this afternoon and I'm literally internally crying everytime I look in the mirror. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait why?
    And yes I'm planning on one like this:

Keeping my hair long, though.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I came from a lecture today and I've been going since term started

This woman leaves the class with me after it's done, and she says while holding the door open: "There you go my darling."

I smile as I always do which is like this ...lol

She then asks me, "Are you in this class?"

I'm like :erm: Then I say, "yes," almost in exasperation.

She says, "Oh! I thought you were someone's child, you look like a child."

I go =| but I feel angry so I just keep walking lol

She says, "it's a compliment, no?" and laughs.

:confused:

How on earth is telling a woman in her 20s she "looks like a child?"

It's weird to me because as a teen, I was told I look older. Now I look like a child?

And when I was walking into a corner shop once pushing a shopping trolley (lol), the door guy says "whoa don't run me over!" And I giggle. And then he says something I don't remember but then says, "You look 12."

By the way I'm 5'4 and 9 stone, and kinda curvy, kinda athletic physique. I don't wear makeup or show skin. I wear my hair in a big updo. I carry a purse.

I mean how can I look "older?"
    I get this aaallll the time!
    Being a med student (qualifying in less than year) and looking 'like a 15 year old' means patients (especially older ones) often ask me to go get a grown up...
    I get asked for ID all the time
    I've been denied entry to a restaurant that serves alcohol before
    My boyfriend looks like he's YEARS older than me (apparently!)
    Annoying as it is, I haven't been tempted to change my whole look just because people think I look young.

Just because this one woman thought you looked young shouldn't force you to change you!

ReputationRep:
    Wait why?
    And yes I'm planning on one like this:

Keeping my hair long, though.
    Bc I only wanted a stupid trim and she cut like 5 inches off as I knew she would. :fuhrer: :cry2: Tbh, I didn't even want a cut but my mum made me go. ;/

Ahh, I think that'll look really pretty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bc I only wanted a stupid trim and she cut like 5 inches off as I knew she would. :fuhrer: :cry2: Tbh, I didn't even want a cut but my mum made me go. ;/

Ahh, I think that'll look really pretty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hate when they do that xD sorry though They are either annoyingly precautious about split ends or jealous. Like I go for the guy barbers or the woman with lots of long hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenjellybean)
    I get this aaallll the time!
    Being a med student (qualifying in less than year) and looking 'like a 15 year old' means patients (especially older ones) often ask me to go get a grown up...
    I get asked for ID all the time
    I've been denied entry to a restaurant that serves alcohol before
    My boyfriend looks like he's YEARS older than me (apparently!)
    Annoying as it is, I haven't been tempted to change my whole look just because people think I look young.

Just because this one woman thought you looked young shouldn't force you to change you!
    I guess it bothers me because I have been told most of my life that I look older than what I am, so when I get that I "look like a child?" :eek: It really offends me, like does she have a point or is she being a ****? Ugh. It's been some time so I've licked my wounds since it happened but yea. I figured out what I need to do, and may/may not do it. I see the woman tonight in the lecture, and I'm officially makeover-less lol

ReputationRep:
    I hate when they do that xD sorry though They are either annoyingly precautious about split ends or jealous. Like I go for the guy barbers or the woman with lots of long hair.
    I know, I'm just hoping it'll grow back fast. >.<
    :rofl: Ahh, thats lucky. XD I can't really choose bc we have an assigned hairdresser otherwise I'd probably go to a man as well. :fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.