Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to tell if you would be good at Maths? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Im not sure but s1 and d1 might suit you. Its akk uobto you though
    Most UK universities don't even ask for A* in maths for any course, let alone the one I want to do I so I'm not overly worried. I don't even need it at A-Level for what I want to do but I figured it would give me important skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    That's very interesting. Youre interests really varied .....
    I wanted to be a wwe prowrestler when i was small but now i really dont know what to become.
    This is just a genaral question but which do you think is tough. Step 3 or imo ?
    IMO... let's just that it takes over 4 hours for me to solve one of those questions sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    IMO... let's just that it takes over 4 hours for me to solve one of those questions sometimes.
    You solved it !:adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    As I said the shock at the start of a Mathematics degree is very common. I warn my own students about it so they can deal better with it when/if it comes.

All the best.
    Any way to lessen the jump/shock in difficulty before we start university or is that something we will just deal with once we're there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    Any way to lessen the jump/shock in difficulty before we start university or is that something we will just deal with once we're there?
    I would imagine that preparation above the level of the standard A level syllabi, and questions from STEP/IMO may be beneficial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    After 3 weeks I switched to straight maths (I could not stand computing)
    Why TeeEm?
    *I did Computing, so of course I'm naturally curious.

... because I did not enjoy Pure maths.
    This as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Why TeeEm?

This as well.
    There is nothing wrong with computing, I truly admire you.
    Just was not for me (I guess I did not have a real interest in it/ we are talking 30 years ago)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    There is nothing wrong with computing, I truly admire you.
    Just was not for me (I guess I did not have a real interest in it/ we are talking 30 years ago)
    The level of abstractions in Maths is higher and more general though than Computing :erm:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by kka25)
    Why TeeEm?

This as well.
    Did you study/are you studying pure maths at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AQuestion1)
    How to know whether you have the potential to be good at Maths?
    Commitment. The more effort and time you put in Mathematics the better you will become. Maths is just another skill.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.