Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I refer you guys to the thread I made about eggs a few days ago:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post60082111

Please watch that video on the first post.
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    This is what I was talking about in my post.

ReputationRep:
    Im not going to watch the video, i know what happens to the animals and coincedentaly had to watch a video in philosophy on the subject
    Ok fair enough. If you ever want to give up eggs and need a little bit of motivation - watch that video then - i'll put you right off eggs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Also I have no doubt there are psychopaths working in those slaughterhouses, much like the disgusting excuse for a human being.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/vid...slaughterhouse

How can you hurt an animal like that? what gives you the right to do that to a poor animal? just for the sake of food and your own pleasure.
    I agree. I don't think it's possible to be emotionally intact and go to work every day in the midst of so much harrowing suffering and torture. For most people this would be an unbearable reality to witness.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong, I also try to get across my vegan view in real life, but to a lesser extent, and not to my eat eating friends, unless they specifically ask me why I became vegan. It's just easier online with various sources to hand etc.

Also I don't believe you can call yourself compassionate because you eat meat. Eating meat and compassion are mutually exclusive; you can either eat meat and not be compassionate, or not eat meat and be compassionate. If you believe you are a compassionate meat-eater then you are a hypocrite. Just think about it. Animals bleed and die and are tortured and feel pain so you can eat them. Is that really compassion?
    Well maybe i am a hypocrite but i can be compassionate, i like meat, that isnt going to change, and i know the industry is wrong and unfair and terrible but it certainly doesn't equate me to a rapist or paedophile because i eat the food i like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    I agree. I don't think it's possible to be emotionally intact and go to work every day in the midst of so much harrowing suffering and torture. For most people this would be an unbearable reality to witness.
    Yet they are the cause of it. I think meat-eaters should visit slaughter houses

ReputationRep:
    Ok fair enough. If you ever want to give up eggs and need a little bit of motivation - watch that video then - i'll put you right off eggs
    Ill make a note of that for if the time comes

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe i am a hypocrite but i can be compassionate, i like meat, that isnt going to change, and i know the industry is wrong and unfair and terrible but it certainly doesn't equate me to a rapist or paedophile because i eat the food i like
    That is your opinion. As long as I live, I won't agree with it . Also, maybe paedophile was a bit ott, but I definitely would put you in the same group as them. How normal people see paedophiles and rapists and murderers is how me, a Vegan, sees meat-eaters. It's all relative. Of course there are vegans out there who wouldn't agree with me, but I am just so disgusted by what you guys do for meat, I have no problem putting you in the same group as them. Just because you are human, it doesn't give you the right to take another living things' life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    Yeah I'm with you! I think that what a lot of local farmers do is fine and that it is true 'free range'. The reason I am vegetarian is because this is such a small part of the meat industry in reality. I know that being me being vegetarian isn't going to change anything but not supporting the industry makes me feel better inside. It's hard for me to see people who eat meat as evil like some in this thread do, just a different perspective morally I guess.
    I also agree with you!

I was raised in a family of chefs, and my grandfather is a farmer (he's not selling goods, but he's harvesting and raising his own ones for all of us) so we have a culture for good food, and also respecting animals. He takes very good care of his hens (having more than 90 now, grazing happily and freely in his garden...and ruining his salads :giggle:) and whenever I visit him I help him out to chop wood and make new barns for them and the rabbits (he breeds rabbits to give them as pets every Easter; they're also very effective when it comes to getting rid of the excess hay so that it won't spoil :lol:). I love animals and care for them, but at the end of the day I will not deny that I was born an omnivore. In the same way that you find on the internet videos of cats taking care of chicks, I also like taking care of what is roughly considered "pray". I like to think that doesn't make me a savage.

Even though I am a student, I don't eat meat and eggs very often (80% of what is on my plate is always veg, and I'd say 60-70% of the time I actually only eat veg, because I love them all :awesome:) but when I do I make sure I buy it from trusted farmers. Yes, it is more expensive, but it works; personally, I don't need a lot of meat in my diet anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You are not a hypocrite, and no, that doesn't equate you to a rapist or a paedophile. That analogy is absurd, if not preposterous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMandarine)
    Even though I am a student, I don't eat meat and eggs very often (80% of what is on my plate is always veg, and I'd say 60-70% of the time I actually only eat veg, because I love them all :awesome:) but when I do I make sure I buy it from trusted farmers. Yes, it is more expensive, but it works; personally, I don't need a lot of meat in my diet anyway.
    You don't need any meat in your diet. It is a personal choice that you make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Yet they are the cause of it. I think meat-eaters should visit slaughter houses
    To be honest I don't want to bash meat eaters even though I don't eat meat myself and haven't done so for years. The problem is that as consumers we are so far removed from the reality of the farming and meat/dairy industry (not to mention furs, bear bile farming etc) that it is difficult to really, really understand what's going on in these places.

Once you visit such a place or (even worse) you see one of those graphic documentaries it becomes an ethical choice first and foremost not a health choice which is a secondary consideration. I think you are right about visiting slaughterhouses - it could help make people more aware, but the most atrocious things are not accessible to the public. A lot of those short films or documentaries have been filmed in secret and I recall one journalist saying that he had no doubt whatsoever that his life would be in danger if they caught on that he was filming.

ReputationRep:
    That is your opinion. As long as I live, I won't agree with it . Also, maybe paedophile was a bit ott, but I definitely would put you in the same group as them. How normal people see paedophiles and rapists and murderers is how me, a Vegan, sees meat-eaters. It's all relative. Of course there are vegans out there who wouldn't agree with me, but I am just so disgusted by what you guys do for meat, I have no problem putting you in the same group as them. Just because you are human, it doesn't give you the right to take another living things' life.
    Yes it is my opinion
    I know it doesnt give us the right, we are constantly outraged when a human is killed by an animal for it to eat but we dont see an issue the other way around and that is hypocritical, however I put it more in the league of specism that rapist or something else.

ReputationRep:
    I also agree with you!

I was raised in a family of chefs, and my grandfather is a farmer (he's not selling goods, but he's harvesting and raising his own ones for all of us) so we have a culture for good food, and also respecting animals. He takes very good care of his hens (having more than 90 now, grazing happily and freely in his garden...and ruining his salads :giggle:) and whenever I visit him I help him out to chop wood and make new barns for them and the rabbits (he breeds rabbits to give them as pets every Easter; they're also very effective when it comes to getting rid of the excess hay so that it won't spoil :lol:). I love animals and care for them, but at the end of the day I will not deny that I was born an omnivore. In the same way that you find on the internet videos of cats taking care of chicks, I also like taking care of what is roughly considered "pray". I like to think that doesn't make me a savage.

I have no problem with people like you. Just sometimes when I see raging meat eaters talking about how they don't care about any of the ethics of it, they look to me no different than someone being cruel to and torturing house pets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    To be honest I don't want to bash meat eaters even though I don't eat meat myself and haven't done so for years. The problem is that as consumers we are so far removed from the reality of the farming and meat/dairy industry (not to mention furs, bear bile farming etc) that it is difficult to really, really understand what's going on in these places.

Once you visit such a place or (even worse) you see one of those graphic documentaries it becomes an ethical choice first and foremost not a health choice which is a secondary consideration. I think you are right about visiting slaughterhouses - it could help make people more aware, but the most atrocious things are not accessible to the public. A lot of those short films or documentaries have been filmed in secret and I recall one journalist saying that he had no doubt whatsoever that his life would be in danger if they caught on that he was filming.
    What?! No way!! Do you have a link! I'm telling you they are psychopaths, or have similar traits. You can't stay sane working in a place like that.

I do bash meat eaters for their choices. I don't bash the ones that accept this happens and continue, that is up to them, I bash the ones that are ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't believe I sat and had a conversation with you in real life. So you sat in a coffee shop with me and the whole time you were comparing me to a paedophile? you're sick

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't need any meat in your diet. It is a personal choice that you make.

Why am I even here, when I could reheat my chicken omelette and read some good books that will expand my knowledge and appease my ardent desire for good quality information.
    It's ok, that's all my fault. I'll go eat now, ta.

ReputationRep:
    “As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.”
    ― Pythagoras

Who agrees? When I see a meat eater, I can see savage backwards human beings who haven't left their caves yet. How can humans expect there to be world peace when we butcher each other, animals, and destroy our planet?

If everyone understood veganism, they would understand the importance of caring about all life, not just human life. Only then can we strive for world peace. Pythagoras was millennia ahead of his time. What a legend!
    This attitude right here is why a lot of vegans/feminists ect.. do their movement more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    I honestly can't believe I sat and had a conversation with you in real life. So you sat in a coffee shop with me and the whole time you were comparing me to a paedophile? you're sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry, I don't meet TSR people. I have no idea who you are.

ReputationRep:
    I also agree with you!

Thats really nice, when im older i probably will eat less meat (i have to admit its because of the cooking process that anything else) but when i live in my own house with my own money and what ever else i would certainly be buying from trusted farmers so i can ensure the least amount of suffering to the animal
    Some people act as if meat eaters are wanting animals to suffer, that is where i really disagree with people

ReputationRep:

Why am I even here, when I could reheat my chicken omelette and read some good books that will expand my knowledge and appease my ardent desire for good quality information.
    It's ok, that's all my fault. I'll go eat now, ta.
    bye bye .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.