Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you adapt to stupid people? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    I have a lot of trouble talking to people who aren't that smart. I am too advanced for them. I will give you an example,

There's a nurse who said to me "I really hate that patient X - he's so mean". Patient X has paranoid Schizophrenia. Then I gave her this wonderfully reasoned explanation on how it's very difficult to delineate "true" personality traits from psychopathology when people have enduring mental illness and it's unfair to just say "he's mean". And she was just like.... "Huh".

And then there's people who find talking about any sexual topic really really really funny or people who listen to Nicki Minaj - stuff like that...

It's my own short-coming. How do other people do it? TSR is full of clever people and I'm sure you have to deal with stupid people from time to time, give me some tips?
    Well, its not like most people would be able to hold conversations about complex things like that.

Though the human body is in the nurses domain, so maybe you could expect her to understand personality to a small degree and so make a response.
    But nurses job is ultimately to provide non-complex care (usually), and even though they go to uni now, I wouldn't expect a highly academic person - but a good, caring person.

People who listen to Nicki M... that's fair enough!

Nothing wrong with stupidity or ignorance to a degree, as long as moral - it has its own beauty I think, in a way. I find academics to be really full of themselves a lot of the time, whilst in uneducated people you don't get that so much.

Also. I think my response would be, what is 'true' personality? We are what we are, disease and all, I guess.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.