Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Whats your biggest issue youre facing atm at university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineDream)
    I can't do the reading, I don't understand most of it and it takes me about 15 mins to decipher a single paragraph like the one below. I like the content of the lectures but academic writing is so complicated

"For want of an established label let me propose as the nucleus to which I giveprominence the notions of projective semantics and, derivatively, of semanticprojection. Moreover, since the expression "semantic meaning" has been utterlytrivialized, I shall say, more pointedly, semantic import. In a nutshell, the semanticimport of words entails that ( 1) what is not named largely remains unnoticed or, inany event, impervious to cognitive development; and that, (2) the naming choice(selecting a given word within a given semantic field) involves a far-reaching interpretiveprojection. All told, then, projective semantics brings to the fore both theconstraints and the pathways that any given natural language imposes upon andaffords to our perceiving, thinking, and knowing. But let us proceed orderly."
    Wtf?? What course is that? Are all your books like this or is it just this one module that has a book like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumford & Dragons)
    Like the title suggests, mention your biggest problem at uni so far. You could be 1st years,2nd or even 3rd.

i am currently 2nd year and my biggest issue/problem is friends. Especially with the course I am taking, there a little..nerdy? ! I would class them as friends but not best friends to hand out over the weekend or go pub etc. Still wondering if I will find anyone that has similar interests to me at my Uni or if I just need to grind through 2 more years?
    I'm a 2nd year law student and my biggest issue right now is....EXAMS !!

There is so much to do with so little time !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Have you looked into starting your own society? Depends on the uni but you wont need more than 10 people to do so i recon. Have you spoken to your flatmates about the problems you ve experienced with them or see if you can swap halls with someone?
    Sorry, I only just saw this. It's too much effort to change halls, I just ignore them and leave my room to spend time at the library or out most of the time. Semester two will fly by then I'm gone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keeping my pre-uni relationships strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Getting more involved at uni.

Also, passing my modules! I'm having issues with 2 in particular, the rest are the standard that I want them to be.
    Oh well, still time left!

ReputationRep:
    Commuting.
    I just can't be asked sometimes and I don't even want to get started with 9am lectures

ReputationRep:
    Of the 10 Fridays I have in this term, I have deadlines on 7 of them. In several cases, I have more than one deadline.

People tell stories about final year, but you don't really believe it until you get there.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Not many friends at uni.

But I have too many coursework deadlines to be making friends

The struggle is real

ReputationRep:
    Lack of motivation, health, lack of friends, feeling guilty for relaxing, boring lecturers when the subject is my passion, classes so big lecturers don't know you well, lack of anyone to actually be passionate about my course with. Not drinking or clubbing at uni doesn't work and it's not going to change on my part.

ReputationRep:
    Motivation. Im remembering all the reasons why I enjoyed work and hated school. Really want to get my 3 year B-Eng but strongly considering finishing my HNC and going no further, at least for a few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sylar2010)
    Lack of motivation, health, lack of friends, feeling guilty for relaxing, boring lecturers when the subject is my passion, classes so big lecturers don't know you well, lack of anyone to actually be passionate about my course with. Not drinking or clubbing at uni doesn't work and it's not going to change on my part.
    why did you decide to not drink/go clubbing at uni? i'm going to uni next year and i am not too keen on clubbing either >.< i'm really worried that i won't be able to make friends because of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluffbun)
    why did you decide to not drink/go clubbing at uni? i'm going to uni next year and i am not too keen on clubbing either >.< i'm really worried that i won't be able to make friends because of that
    Because I don't drink or go clubbing it's not what I do for fun. I should add I'm a mature student of 24 but I haven't ever drank or been to a club in my life... My uni was supposedly really good for non-drinkers don't fall for that line... very isolated from my mature flatmates in halls as I don't drink... we literally do nothing together one of them has moved, another will be moving and a third out of the 5 of us might go too. Honestly I wish I could say it will be fine... but I read all the posts on here saying it would and it's just not true at my Manchester Uni no one seems to do anything but drink and go clubbing.....

ReputationRep:
    My biggest problem at uni is...oh wait... I'm a resit :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been there forever owing to studying part-time and then also taking numerous depression induced breaks, and I just can't be arsed anymore. Going back fills me with dread. The tutors I liked have also been replaced with crap ones. I've only a few more modules to go, but I really dunno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    I've been there forever owing to studying part-time and then also taking numerous depression induced breaks, and I just can't be arsed anymore. Going back fills me with dread. The tutors I liked have also been replaced with crap ones. I've only a few more modules to go, but I really dunno.
    Hang in there buddy, you got this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried about the assignments that I have handed in and how I have a lack of love life at uni. My confidence has always been naturally low but I'm relatively happy with my housemates. And finding suitable placements and money issues

ReputationRep:
    I am a 2nd year law student and my biggest problem is self doubt.

i am doubting my choice over a legal career and wondering if i should switch paths once I graduate. i was naive to what was involved with a legal career and never really signed up for a desk job.

i love law, but not the lawyer aspect ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AthiaKarim)
    and I don't even want to get started with 9am lectures
    Omg I've only been to 1 this whole first term (and it was in the very last week of term) ! Last year i only went to a total of 5 :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    I am a 2nd year law student and my biggest problem is self doubt.

i am doubting my choice over a legal career and wondering if i should switch paths once I graduate. i was naive to what was involved with a legal career and never really signed up for a desk job.

i love law, but not the lawyer aspect ....
    have you worked at a firm yet? It might change your mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    have you worked at a firm yet? It might change your mind
    Yes i have, and thats what put me off haha !

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.