Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should Cannabis be legalised? watch

• View Poll Results: Should cannabis be legalised?
    Yes
    51.89%
    No
    48.11%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    It's funny how in the thread about smoking (tobacco) a large majority said that it should be banned; and here everyone says cannabis should be legalised. I mean obviously they aren't the same, one is more detrimental to health than the other, but it seems that people like to use arguments like "the government shouldn't intrude so much" and "it would reduce crime" for legalizing marijuana but when it comes to tobacco the same people go "the government needs to intrude" and don't seem to care about the black market that would be created...

But yeah, I think cannabis should be legalised. No good reason to keep it illegal really.
    Oh, don't forget that loads of people don't like the smell of Tobacco so it should be banned, but of course nobody dislikes the smell of week

ReputationRep:
    Legalise it, tax it, use the money for NHS and Education. Build a better future
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Such great health benefits that funnily enough research cannot conclusively demonstrate anything

ReputationRep:
    It should be decriminalised yesterday. I would like to see more evidence on whether it should be legalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    My own experience of a wide varienty of substances.
    Maybe you suffer from certain psychological problems that make cannabis particularly addictive for you? I've been smoking it for 15 years on and off and find cheese, chocolate and TSR more addictive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    fair enough.

Well you'll realize weed is very mediocre when you become a little less innocent. My favourite drug by far is alcohol though. LSD is close.

Things that are worse for you are always more fun.
    I think the worst thing about alcohol are definitely the side effects :puke:
    I honestly dont like the idea of Class A drugs that much, especially since I can't tolerate those kind of substances (bad experience) And the damage they do is really off-putting
    But yeah, dont do drugs kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    Proven to have health benefits, kills 0 people a year, its not addictive, why is it still illegal yet cigarettes are legal?
    Let's not oversimplify this:

It can bring health benefits to people suffering from some illnesses (MS for example) But it can also bring adverse health effects - there's a link between cannabis abuse and mental illnesses.

It's not addictive per se but can serve as a gateway drug to substances that certainly are.

I think it should be legal but let's not view cannabis use solely through rose tinted glasses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Such great health benefits that funnily enough research cannot conclusively demonstrate anything
    Almost as good as homoeopathy then - just a lot more fun.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Howard)
    Almost as good as homoeopathy then - just a lot more fun.
    I little better than homeopathy, there is genuine research that suggests that it is good for some things, as opposed to no credible research showing that distilled water is a miracle cure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinetsr)
    I can never balance the two following statements:

1) Smoking is bad for health and should be banned
    2) Cannabis has positive health effects and should be brought out from the black economy
    You don't have to smoke cannabis. There's vaping, edibles, cannabis oil. There might be others, I'm not sure but you don't have to smoke it. In fact it's the most wasteful way to use it but the cheapest and the quickest.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read much on here but I'll assume that nobody has taken into consideration that Regular use of cannabis can harm brain cells if not damage then for life.
    And if canabis was to be legalised it should be for medical usage only as in prescribed by a doctor towards a reasonable cause.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually really concerned that if there's a public referendum to decide whether or not to legalize cannabis that the public does not know the facts about this drug, such as the medicinal benefits to the individual and the financial benefits for our economy. Ultimately I'm anxious that people will vote in ignorance. There was a highly informative debate on Monday 12th October, 2015, still available to watch on the parliament website about ending the prohibition of cannabis but how many people knew that and how many people watched it? At this point I'm wondering why the government won't legalize it not asking why they should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francis.C)
    I haven't read much on here but I'll assume that nobody has taken into consideration that Regular use of cannabis can harm brain cells if not damage then for life.
    And if canabis was to be legalised it should be for medical usage only as in prescribed by a doctor towards a reasonable cause.
    There is zero evidence that cannabis kills brain cells. In fact recent studies suggest it can promote the growth of new ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    It can also very occasionally cause mental issues in some people who are already inflicted with certain conditions. Then again so can tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, paracetamol, sugar, fat, penicillin, amoxycillin... pretty much anything you choose to put into your body.

Legalise marijuana for recreational use. DECRIMINALISE the possession of other drugs allowing addicts to seek the help they want without any legal proceedings need to take place. Like in the Netherlands or Portugal.
    Absolutely, and possibly legalize and control drugs such as MDMA where the deaths are most commonly caused by people taking something different to what they thought, such as ecstasy pills which actually contain PMA or PMMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinetsr)
    I can never balance the two following statements:

1) Smoking is bad for health and should be banned
    2) Cannabis has positive health effects and should be brought out from the black economy
    You don't have to smoke cannabis, there is a multitude of different ways of using it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tini2)
    It is a drug
    we (referring to "we" as all countries of the world) should ban tobacco and alcohol, instead we're thinking of legalizing an harmful drug? :eek:
    A drug is just a chemical that affects the human body. We ingest thousands of them a day with varying affects. For example fast food has been shown to increase rates of depression and mental illness (among other health conditions). If you are 'anti-drug' how far do we go. Do we start telling people what they can and can't eat, drink, smoke, inhale etc. The current scientific census is that cannabis is non-toxic (unlike alcohol which is pretty much watered down poison) and relatively safe compared to most things we use in modern life (painkillers, fast food, carcinogenic plastics etc).

Banning things just hands power from legitimate businesses who are willing to be regulated by governments to criminals who do as they please. Drugs are a thousand times more dangerous when there is a lack of research, quality control, age restrictions, medical advice, addiction support and treatment etc.

If cocaine was legalised across the world for example the hundreds if not thousands of ex soldiers and police officers working as paid hit men for South American cartels would suddenly be unemployed. Drug laws are far more destructive than the drugs themselves. It's impossible to control the supply of drugs because the demand is far to great.

ReputationRep:

I want to try it and I am too scared and not friends with the right people to ever get hold of it. Plus I want to know I am getting the right thing and not some industrially strong skunk or something. The only reason I drink booze is because it is available in shops.

Basically I am a statistic that proves prohibition works for certain people

ReputationRep:
    No should only be used for medical uses. If I was PM i would make it a health only use and anyone caught growing it or importing it for dealing will be banged in the slammer (literally and figuratively) for ten years and will have to pay a one million pound fine and do community service every weekend until death. The scum who grow it and deal it deserve it. Our justice system needs to be more tough then people will **** themselves and would not deal drugs. It may not have any bad impact on the person but I do not like it the way low lifes have a career and are loaded through little to no work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    It's funny how in the thread about smoking (tobacco) a large majority said that it should be banned; and here everyone says cannabis should be legalised. I mean obviously they aren't the same, one is more detrimental to health than the other, but it seems that people like to use arguments like "the government shouldn't intrude so much" and "it would reduce crime" for legalizing marijuana but when it comes to tobacco the same people go "the government needs to intrude" and don't seem to care about the black market that would be created...

But yeah, I think cannabis should be legalised. No good reason to keep it illegal really.
    It's OK for the government to intrude just so long as it suits their leftist views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    It's OK for the government to intrude just so long as it suits their leftist views.
    That pretty much sums it up

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.