Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M0nkey Thunder)
    Oh how that'd be wonderful...

I do have homework, but I like revising first and then doing my homework in the last day/ 2 days because I can force myself to do it that way. If I do my homework earlier, I end up spending even more time during the week doing it when I could have finished much more revision. c:
    hmm i can't revise without having done my homework - i don't know why i just feel like revision can't happen until all homework is done so i don't have anything to worry about lol

but right now there's just too much homework so i'm going against all of that and just doing nothing instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    hmmm... Do all the questions in the book? perhaps ask your teachers to create little module or topic exam booklets? Those are really helpful i find and your teachers probably have all the past papers ever in their "staff area" on your school's computers so just ask them if they could put them online or on your USB or something.
    Already do xD Ah! That's a fantastic idea, didn't think of that xD As for past papers I presumed it might be a bit early, no? I was a bit naive but should be able to get 'em soon.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You're an eye opener...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    OMG i was doing that yesterday! You are me haha! :vader:
    Haha ... I see you've also been preparing for The Force Awakens :starwars:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    okay for substrate level phosphorylation:

it basically means making ATP (by ADP + Pi) using the Pi from the phosphorylated intermediate

so you know how there are intermediate compounds before pyruvate? These are the substrates. They have phosphate groups attached to them that basically break off and join up with ADP to make ATP

that's what substrate level phosphorylation is

Now, oxidative phosphorylation has 2 parts

one part is the Electron Transport Chain and the other part is Chemiosmosis

Now I'm gonna use respiration not photosynthesis for this but the idea is basically the same

First part - ETC:
    - basically you've got 2 membranes in your mitochondria, your inner membrane and your outer membrane. Between the membranes you've got your intermembrane space - this is key. On the other side you've got the inside of your mitochondria (your matrix) so if it was layers it would be like:

outer membrane
    intermembrane space
    inner membrane
    matrix

-In your inner membrane you've got 4 complexes. We'll call them 1,2,3 and 4. They are embedded in your inner membrane's phospholipid bilayer. You've also got a mushroom looking thingy. This is called ATP synthase

Now we can get started

- so you've got your NADH from the Krebs cycle. It drops off it's hydrogens that it's carrying and goes back to pick up more from the earlier stages. These hydrogens are made up from 1 proton and 1 electron - so they split up into a proton and electron. The electron goes into complex 1, and jumps to complex 2, then 3, then 4, and then it goes out into the matrix. Why does it do this? Well by jumping from one complex to another it is RELEASING energy! Remember the proton you left behind? Yeah this energy is used to pump the proton through the complex to the other side (the intermembrane space).

Since the membrane is made from a phospholipid bilayer, it is impermeable to small ions remember? This means that the protons can get back out! So more and more of them get pumped into the intermembrane space, and they gather up there and so much of them builds up that they need to get out now! This is where the mushroom looking thingy comes into play. The protons CANNOT get out any other way than by going through the ATP synthase (mushroom). When they travel through the ATP synthase, the top part (mushroom head) will spin, attaching ADP and Pi and making ATP! This attaching of ADP and Pi to make ATP in THE PRESENCE OF OXYGEN is called Oxidative Phosphorylation. More on oxygen later. This is where ALLLLL the money (ATP) is made! The flow of these protons through the ATP synthase is called chemiosmosis .

Now that the protons are back out to the other side, they are reunited with the electrons that were pumped along the complexes! They join up together, reforming the hydrogens! But then, oxygen is found there too, so they all join up and make water (H2O). BECAUSE oxygen is also present it is called oxidative phosphorylation, but oxygen's ONLY role is to be the FINAL ELECTRON ACCEPTOR (because it's the last one to get the electrons (and protons) to make water!)

hope i helped?
    Thanks. I pretty much now summed it all up now.. Just need to start photosynthesis and start past paper questions on them.

Do you use key words such as decarboxylation, dehydrogenation to describe what happens in some of the stages of krebs cycle?

Are you applying for any bio related course?
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    on Saturday I went to the library for 6 hours
    Sunday I sat around being lazy, eating food, being sad
    today I went to the lib again for 6 hours
    Will probably do the same for the rest of the week, don't wanna leave stuff until last minute like last year

ReputationRep:
    I've done **** all since the holiday started. But tomorrow I shall start and be productive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Already do xD Ah! That's a fantastic idea, didn't think of that xD As for past papers I presumed it might be a bit early, no? I was a bit naive but should be able to get 'em soon.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You're an eye opener...
    haha thanks? lol I always make my teachers give us those exam packs - they're so useful because you can focus on your weaknesses

yeah but better to be early than late! good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Thanks. I pretty much now summed it all up now.. Just need to start photosynthesis and start past paper questions on them.

Do you use key words such as decarboxylation, dehydrogenation to describe what happens in some of the stages of krebs cycle?

Are you applying for any bio related course?
    well i wanted to apply to pharmacy so yeah i guess it's bio related - more chemistry and maths but still a fair bit of bio involved.

i do use those words and i think they make you sound smart lol

basically a carboxyl group is CO2H so all you need to know is that decarboxylation is the removal of CO2. So whenever you see CO2 being removed it's decarboxylation! should be easy to remember because of "carbo" - carbon dioxide

dehydrogenation is just removing hydrogens haha. It's that simple. We also say decarboxylase enzymes and dehydrogenase enzymes - they catalyse decarboxylation and dehydrogenation

it's all in the names

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    on Saturday I went to the library for 6 hours
    Sunday I sat around being lazy, eating food, being sad
    today I went to the lib again for 6 hours
    Will probably do the same for the rest of the week, don't wanna leave stuff until last minute like last year
    haha i never learn from my mistakes lol
    keep it up though! I'm sure you'll get the grades. I need to learn from you people haha

tomorrow is a new day and I shall do some AS revision for resits and homework i think before jumping into the A2 stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Haha ... I see you've also been preparing for The Force Awakens :starwars:
    YassSsss the excitement is REAL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    well i wanted to apply to pharmacy so yeah i guess it's bio related - more chemistry and maths but still a fair bit of bio involved.

i do use those words and i think they make you sound smart lol

basically a carboxyl group is CO2H so all you need to know is that decarboxylation is the removal of CO2. So whenever you see CO2 being removed it's decarboxylation! should be easy to remember because of "carbo" - carbon dioxide

dehydrogenation is just removing hydrogens haha. It's that simple. We also say decarboxylase enzymes and dehydrogenase enzymes - they catalyse decarboxylation and dehydrogenation

it's all in the names
    http://highered.mheducation.com/site...__quiz_1_.html

Thanks for the explanation.

You should check these animation out. It's pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    http://highered.mheducation.com/site...__quiz_1_.html

Thanks for the explanation.

You should check these animation out. It's pretty cool.
    no problem
    yeah those animations helped visualise it a bit better thanks

oh I'm using this guy's videos too i think they're quite helpful! Obviously this is OCR not AQA but his explanations are still good nonetheless and maybe there's some AQA ones out there but i like his way of explaining it's simple and i can actually comprehend what he's saying haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJRT8t_wwA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    no problem
    yeah those animations helped visualise it a bit better thanks

oh I'm using this guy's videos too i think they're quite helpful! Obviously this is OCR not AQA but his explanations are still good nonetheless and maybe there's some AQA ones out there but i like his way of explaining it's simple and i can actually comprehend what he's saying haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJRT8t_wwA
    I've pretty much made a whole playlist for all my subjects now

But I'm just too lazy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.