Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you consider yourself a feminist? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself a feminist?
    Yes, I support feminism and wear the label proudly
    32.96%
    Only in the sense that I support equal rights for men and women, but I prefer to call myself an "egalitarian"
    54.75%
    No, I believe in traditional gender roles
    12.29%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Oh that sounds dreadfully a lot like feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just stating the quote that they would be referring too. I am a meninist

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am a feminist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    Why does it matter whether it's called egalitarianism or feminism? It's the same thing so why is there an argument? Seriously who cares.
    Some people actually think that they are different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Yes, I am a feminist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My nemesis from yesterday, we meet again

ReputationRep:
    Are you really a girl? I thought you were a guy... or is this part of the act...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well, some people are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Are you really a girl? I thought you were a guy... or is this part of the act...
    All I'll reveal is that I'm incredibly old, that's why it took me that long to figure out how to change my gender to the correct one.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well, some people are stupid.
    Not a very good argument from an intelligent person.

ReputationRep:
    Not a very good argument from an intelligent person.
    I'll take that as a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take that as a compliment.
    Katie Hopkins does not give out compliments.

ReputationRep:
    I call my self a pro-feminist rather than a feminist, because I'm neither female nor involved in any actual feminist activism, but still broadly support those who are involved.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter whether it's called egalitarianism or feminism? It's the same thing so why is there an argument? Seriously who cares.
    No, it isn't. Feminist ideologies which do not completely hate on men, unlike egalitarianism, call for emasculation - the death of masculinity in favour of the feminisation of men, because masculinity is seen to be inherently bad. This is usually disguised as a 'shift to new masculinity' or what ever.
    http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/05/a-new-masculinity/

It also calls for preferential treatment of historically disadvantaged people instead of calling for equal treatment. Here's an explanation of that aspect by a male feminist:
    http://garrettbrobinson.com/feminism-vs-egalitarianism/

ReputationRep:
    Because feminism is much more than belief in equality. It is also a belief that femininity is universally (well, outside of the circle of its enlightened and morally superior membership :rolleyes: ) seen as inferior to masculinity and that in all societies women are oppressed by men. As far as I can tell anyway; I literally haven't seen anybody identifying as a feminist not believing to an extent in some "patriarchy" theory and not predominately focusing on women. It is not just the word that is gender-biased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan_Ahmed)
    No, it isn't. Feminist ideologies which do not completely hate on men, unlike egalitarianism, call for emasculation - the death of masculinity in favour of the feminisation of men, because masculinity is seen to be inherently bad. This is usually disguised as a 'shift to new masculinity' or what ever.
    http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/05/a-new-masculinity/

It also calls for preferential treatment of historically disadvantaged people instead of calling for equal treatment. Here's an explanation of that aspect by a male feminist:
    http://garrettbrobinson.com/feminism-vs-egalitarianism/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is egalitarianism not just extreme feminism, it certainly seems that way
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad

sorry fems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    This is the sort of thing a Soviet commissar might have said:

'I believe in liberty, therefore I am not a communist'

'No, my friend, you simply have the wrong understanding of what communism is'

Such a patronising and childish way to behave. All you are really saying here is that you are right and no-one can oppose your position without being an evil, woman-hating monster.
    Definitely didn't say any of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Definitely didn't say any of that.
    Another poster said that they believed that feminism was a negative influence on gender equality.

You responded by saying that they just didn't 'understand' feminism. This is consistent with my post.

ReputationRep:
    Its called feminism for a reason.

Its like when black people started the "Black Lives Matter" movement only to be shut down by "all lives matter" , a racist inappropriate response to call black racist started by white people.
    Yes , obviously all lives matter , but black people are one of the most disadvantaged and marginalized races in the world , the movement was to highlight their struggle and to give them self-empowerment.

So yes , same goes here : it’s called feminism while advocating for gender equality is because females are the gender that are the underprivileged, underserved gender , you attain gender equality by advocating for the rights of the underprivileged gender.

Its women who are being constantly abused , undermined , raped , harrased(and dont even start with 'oh men are also abused and harased' we know that , and we acknowledge that , but we're talking in general) . We call somebody a pussy for being weak and we ask people to 'grow balls' if we want them to toughen up.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sounds too much like "equestrian", which itself brings to mind bronies. No one wants to be a brony.
    All true. Nobody with any ounce of self respect, anyway.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.