St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeeElvis)
    1 A* 9 A and 4 B. Can I get into any university for medicine? Been predicted 2 A* and 1A (chemistry, biology, maths + mechanics)
    Some Universities eg Newcastle have a gcse threshold so ensuring you meet the requirement of a B at Eng Language and a B at Maths GCSE you then pass onto the next criteria without your gcse's being looked at again. However, Universities which don't look at GCSE's tend to require high UKCAT scores, solid AS results and strong predicted grades. You should apply tactically to Universities depending on your success in the coming year.

- It would be honest for me to say you have no chance of getting into - Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham, Imperial College, Cardiff and im sure some others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibevan)
    Some Universities eg Newcastle have a gcse threshold so ensuring you meet the requirement of a B at Eng Language and a B at Maths GCSE you then pass onto the next criteria without your gcse's being looked at again. However, Universities which don't look at GCSE's tend to require high UKCAT scores, solid AS results and strong predicted grades. You should apply tactically to Universities depending on your success in the coming year.

- It would be honest for me to say you have no chance of getting into - Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham, Imperial College, Cardiff and im sure some others.
    Thank you for replying But is it feasible for me to go to Hull York or Keele?
    Also, I got A* in maths, A in English language, literature, biology and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I got A* in maths, A in English language, literature, biology and chemistry.
    Yes, Keele require 5 A's only and Hull York require eight gcses at A* to C.

However i'm not sure exactly how gcse's are used in their criteria so this may just be the minimum required (with them only accepting much higher grades). It's worth doing some research to find out

ReputationRep:
    Hull actually focus quite a bit on Gcse's as they only use gcse and ukcat to invite people to interview, so you might want to double think that choice

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs - 8 A*s, 3As.

AS Levels - Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths, all of which I'm predicted an A for.

Work experience / Voluntary - NCS Challenge and fund raising, 1 week work experience in a science lab, I volunteer 3 hours a week in a charity shop, I will be starting voluntary at a large hospital around January for 4 hours per week, and I'm hoping to get some shadowing related to that hospital / in a pharmacy / in a care home.

Hobbies - I play piano and have done for 6 years; I'm enrolled to two acting agencies and I have performed in hundreds of productions and numerous adverts; I play multiple sports regularly, including table tennis and badminton, and finally, reading.

Potential universities providing I achieve what I wish to achieve:

Cambridge, UCL, King's, Oxford, Manchester and Liverpool (for the convenience).

I'm also a part of the Liverpool Scholars Program, and my social mobility application is pending.

- Questions to other 2017 Medicine applicants:

Do you think my voluntary / work experience will be sufficient?
    What books are you reading to prepare for medicine / UKCAT / BMAT?
    How do you plan on ensuring success in your A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    GCSEs - 8 A*s, 3As.

AS Levels - Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths, all of which I'm predicted an A for.

Work experience / Voluntary - NCS Challenge and fund raising, 1 week work experience in a science lab, I volunteer 3 hours a week in a charity shop, I will be starting voluntary at a large hospital around January for 4 hours per week, and I'm hoping to get some shadowing related to that hospital / in a pharmacy / in a care home.

Hobbies - I play piano and have done for 6 years; I'm enrolled to two acting agencies and I have performed in hundreds of productions and numerous adverts; I play multiple sports regularly, including table tennis and badminton, and finally, reading.

Cambridge, UCL, King's, Oxford, Manchester and Liverpool (for the convenience).

I'm also a part of the Liverpool Scholars Program, and my social mobility application is pending.

- Questions to other 2017 Medicine applicants:

Do you think my voluntary / work experience will be sufficient?
    What books are you reading to prepare for medicine / UKCAT / BMAT?
    How do you plan on ensuring success in your A Levels?
    Your profile sounds really good! Although I would suggest you start volunteering at a care home! Although the charity shop stuff is really good, it is much better to get caring volunteering, but keep with it (for commitment and all that jazz)

Personally I'm not reading any books, but I'm probably going to get a subscription for a medical journal/magazine sometime in the foreseeable future. I'm going to start UKCAT prep after AS-Levels, and I might not even do BMAT, but I will start thinking more about that when it comes to it.

I'm doing Maths and FMaths, so for them I'm going to be doing A LOT of past papers, and I pretty much spend all my frees doing maths practice, so I should hopefully get high A's in them! Chemistry, I'm basically just learning the mark scheme and Biology I'm going to make sure I know all of the content really well, and I should hopefully get an A with the right practice and understanding.

Also, is anyone else in this thread going to be going to the Keele Medical Careers day in March? I personally can't wait, since I love the idea of going to Keele at the moment

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs - 1 A*, 10 A's, 1 B ( I know their awful I didn't work hard enough/plus there is an extenuating circumstance that for legal reasons I could never mention to school)

AS Levels - Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Latin

Work experience / Voluntary -
    - 8 days in Pediatrics
    - 1 day in Opthamology
    -1 day in Enablement clinic (part of neurology)
    - ( hopefully get to a GP's)
    - 1 day audiology
    - Red cross events first aider
    - 2 hours a week at a community centre ( schools active service)
    - holiday volunteering at care homes

Hobbies/ Extra curricular:
    - Music: grade 4 piano
    - guitar (to about grade 7 standard) and bass guitar ( self taught)
    - drums (self taught)
    - cello (taken up this year)
    - school orchestra

-Learning sign language
    -4 day young doctors course
    -Brown belt in karate
    - Diploma in Psychology of Criminal Profiling

-Golf: - County 1st and 2nd team player
    - Junior county captain ( and squad player)
    - Junior club captain - Former England Girls Golf Training squad member ( and national net champion)

St. Andrews (dream) , Durham (dream) , Liverpool, Southampton, Manchester , Newcastle (biochemistry)

Could anyone tell me a) if I have a realistic shot at medicine at all ( my school told me i had no hope in hell and that I should stop trying) and/ or b) where they would recommend for me to apply with my GCSES?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_Ayres13)
    GCSEs - 1 A*, 10 A's, 1 B ( I know their awful I didn't work hard enough/plus there is an extenuating circumstance that for legal reasons I could never mention to school)

AS Levels - Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Latin

Work experience / Voluntary -
    - 8 days in Pediatrics
    - 1 day in Opthamology
    -1 day in Enablement clinic (part of neurology)
    - ( hopefully get to a GP's)
    - 1 day audiology
    - Red cross events first aider
    - 2 hours a week at a community centre ( schools active service)
    - holiday volunteering at care homes

Hobbies/ Extra curricular:
    - Music: grade 4 piano
    - guitar (to about grade 7 standard) and bass guitar ( self taught)
    - drums (self taught)
    - cello (taken up this year)
    - school orchestra

-Learning sign language
    -4 day young doctors course
    -Brown belt in karate

-Golf: - County 1st and 2nd team player
    - Junior county captain ( and squad player)
    - Junior club captain - Former England Girls Golf Training squad member ( and national net champion)

St. Andrews (dream) , Durham (dream) , Liverpool, Southampton, Manchester , Newcastle (biochemistry)

Could anyone tell me a) if I have a realistic shot at medicine at all ( my school told me i had no hope in hell and that I should stop trying) and/ or b) where they would recommend for me to apply with my GCSES?
    You have a very realistic shot at getting into medicine,GCSEs don't matter that much to some unis also some unis such as Lancaster give A*'s and A's the same weighting I also think Liverpool does.Try to just focus on getting good AS levels and a good ukcat score when the time comes

ReputationRep:
    x
    Your profile is absolutely amazing! Your school obviously has no idea of what it is talking about!

Have you considered Keele? Your golf sounds as if it would be really beneficial on the R&R form!

Also, how did you get so much work experience? and has it been good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    Hull actually focus quite a bit on Gcse's as they only use gcse and ukcat to invite people to interview, so you might want to double think that choice
    Thanks for the reply and information, I'll be very caution when I apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibevan)
    Yes, Keele require 5 A's only and Hull York require eight gcses at A* to C.

However i'm not sure exactly how gcse's are used in their criteria so this may just be the minimum required (with them only accepting much higher grades). It's worth doing some research to find out
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    Your profile is absolutely amazing! Your school obviously has no idea of what it is talking about!

Have you considered Keele? Your golf sounds as if it would be really beneficial on the R&R form!

Also, how did you get so much work experience? and has it been good?
    Ooh i had looked at keele but I heard it was GCSE heavy so my interest wained.

I got work experience at Opthamolgy, Neruology and 1 day in paedatrics through a NHS introduction course I won a place in.

The other 7 days in pediatrics was simply by chance, the day my head of science told me I had no hope of medicine I was late out of school and I was crying my way through the corridor when I bumped into my old bio teacher who by a stroke of luck (after me explaining why I had a Niagara falls forming at each eye) mentioned her husband was a pediatric consult who could give me some experience.

My audiology placement was due to me sending a chance email to them.

I had sent emails to pretty much every hospital and department in the county and had many no replys/ straight up blanks.

but thank you for your kind words also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaaelaaa)
    You have a very realistic shot at getting into medicine,GCSEs don't matter that much to some unis also some unis such as Lancaster give A*'s and A's the same weighting I also think Liverpool does.Try to just focus on getting good AS levels and a good ukcat score when the time comes
    Thanks for the advice/kind words much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh i had looked at keele but I heard it was GCSE heavy so my interest wained.

I got work experience at Opthamolgy, Neruology and 1 day in paedatrics through a NHS introduction course I won a place in.

The other 7 days in pediatrics was simply by chance, the day my head of science told me I had no hope of medicine I was late out of school and I was crying my way through the corridor when I bumped into my old bio teacher who by a stroke of luck (after me explaining why I had a Niagara falls forming at each eye) mentioned her husband was a pediatric consult who could give me some experience.

My audiology placement was due to me sending a chance email to them.

I had sent emails to pretty much every hospital and department in the county and had many no replys/ straight up blanks.

but thank you for your kind words also
    Keele isn't very GCSE heavy, I think you only need 6A's, which you satisfy.

And your Head of Science has no idea what they're saying in my opinion, wishing both of us the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,my Gcse's are really pulling me down, i just don't know what to do. 1A* 2A 5Bs 2Cs
    Compared to EVERYONE EVERYONE on student room mine is the worst. I dont have a proper excuse rather than to be honest, i started to listen in class late. In addition i discover i was dyslexic after my GCSEs. I have 3 hospital placements planned for next year and many more volunteer opportunities.
    For alevel i take: Biology, chemistry, maths and philosophy&ethics
    Recent tests: Bio: B, Chem:A, Maths: C and Philosophy&ethics:C
    What universities could i possibly get into and whats the next step, Advice?

ReputationRep:
    You're alright, I got 4a's and 5b's LMAO but coming from a school with a 30% 5 A*-C rate, it was more than mediocre.

If you get amazing grades for AS, a great personal statement and amazing in the UKCAT it will be fine. Just try to apply to medical schools which you enter the requirements for.

(Original post by Iamflorence)
    Hey Guys,my Gcse's are really pulling me down, i just don't know what to do. 1A* 2A 5Bs 2Cs
    Compared to EVERYONE EVERYONE on student room mine is the worst. I dont have a proper excuse rather than to be honest, i started to listen in class late. In addition i discover i was dyslexic after my GCSEs. I have 3 hospital placements planned for next year and many more volunteer opportunities.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    What are the Cs in? Have a look here to see where you can apply: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...e-requirements

You' need to avoid GCSE-heavy Med Schools.

Work hard to absolutely nail your A-Levels, UKCAT, get plenty of work experience, write a good PS etc. Then when the time comes, apply wisely to Medical Schools that suit your strengths.

Compared to EVERYONE EVERYONE on student room mine is the worst.
    They're definitely not the worst on here but either way, don't compare yourself to others - you can still get in if you work hard and apply wisely.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I was wondering, when will you start preparing for the UKCAT/BMAT?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by faraa3)
    Guys, I was wondering, when will you start preparing for the UKCAT/BMAT?
    I'd strongly suggest against preparing any time soon. Start preparing after your exams this year (if you're doing any) - the tests are really quite strange and you don't want to peak too soon or run out of resources.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Don't panic, you still have options
    You could apply to medicine courses with a foundation year (I think it's called A108). These are for people like yourself who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and therefore these generally have lower grade requirements- the typical offer for those courses is usually BBB-AAA Check out KCL's EMDP or Southampton's BM6 for a better idea because I don't think I explained it very well XD good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.