Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B875 - Prohibition of Public Intoxication Bill 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Nay. Absolutely ludicrous. It won't do anything only create civil unrest.
    It will cause a level of unrest that is nowhere as high as the level of unrest seen when a certain Home Secretary tried to seize power by denying the Deputy Prime Minister his right to act as the Acting Prime Minister and when this particular individual tried to bring down Her Majesty's Government.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Errr nope.

The only damage I've ever caused from being drunk in public is a sign getting a little bit hurt (it hurt me more...)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    It will cause a level of unrest that is nowhere as high as the level of unrest seen when a certain Home Secretary tried to seize power by denying the Deputy Prime Minister his right to act as the Acting Prime Minister and when this particular individual tried to bring down Her Majesty's Government.
    ah get over it, this was months ago and has nothing to do with the bill in question, whereas Aph raises a valid point.

Nay, I won't go into details as everyone else seems to have covered all the bases, so all I will say is this is truly ridiculous. You don't seem to realise how Orwellian this bill really is.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot support this. I agree with the intentions, but it is simply not practical.

People should be able to do whatever they want, so long as it does not impede the freedoms of others. This bill proposes the total opposite. If a person gets very drunk, that is not a problem. As soon as they start becoming wild, violent or a public nuisance, they are committing offences that are already in existence.

Hindering one's freedom, namely to become intoxicated in a public place, is simply a stance I cannot support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    First of all, when did I say that I am a libertarian? Secondly, I do not oppose someone's right to get drunk if it is done privately, so it does not cause a nuisance to the general public. My bill also allows for people to have a few drinks and still be allowed to be in public. Under my bill, it is only illegal to be publicly intoxicated over a certain level (as stated in the bill). The level is set, since many people will start acting irrationally over that level, so my bill helps protect people from irrational drunks.
    Your party as I understand it believes in the principle of a smaller state.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    My first ever bill of my MHoC career was a bill that abolished the UK and handed our entire sovereignty to teh EU. it wasn't well liked.
    I'm not sure what's more worrying - that you thought that was a good idea, or the fact that you thought it even had a chance of passing in the House...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I'm not sure what's more worrying - that you thought that was a good idea, or the fact that you thought it even had a chance of passing in the House...
    I still think it's a good idea.

I think it got 5/7 votes aye.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    I still think it's a good idea.

I think it got 5/7 votes aye.
    This is the reason we have MPs... So ridiculous ideas can get sent down in Division.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    This is the reason we have MPs... So ridiculous ideas can get sent down in Division.
    It will happen. And a Tory PM will be in power when it does. USE is inevitable mobbsy. Embrace it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    My first ever bill of my MHoC career was a bill that abolished the UK and handed our entire sovereignty to teh EU. it wasn't well liked.
    Why does that not surprise me?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    It will happen. And a Tory PM will be in power when it does. USE is inevitable mobbsy. Embrace it.
    When the USE happens, I will be no where near it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Why does that not surprise me?
    I have had some fairly controversial bills in my time here.
    When the USE happens, I will be no where near it.
    You moving to China then?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    I have had some fairly controversial bills in my time here.

You moving to China then?
    Dunno... Anywhere but the USE

ReputationRep:
    Dunno... Anywhere but the USE
    My backup plan involves New Zealand, Australia, Switzerland, Iceland or Russia in the order of preference. Hong Kong would be alright as well but I'm too lazy to learn Chinese.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    My backup plan involves New Zealand, Australia, Switzerland, Iceland or Russia in the order of preference. Hong Kong would be alright as well but I'm too lazy to learn Chinese.
    I'd probably go Cuba, most are English speaking as their education system is very good.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Life_peer)

(Original post by James Milibanter)
    I'd probably go Cuba, most are English speaking as their education system is very good.
    Switzerland is probably gonna be my number 1 choice, mainly because of the skiing!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Switzerland is probably gonna be my number 1 choice, mainly because of the skiing!
    Switzerland is the place I'd go to die, not to live.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Switzerland is the place I'd go to die, not to live.
    Well, after the USE comes into effect...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, after the USE comes into effect...
    Well sitting in the sun drinking Pina Coladas with gorgeous cuban birds wrapped around my arms seems about as likely as a USE forming in my lifetime so I'm sticking with Cuba.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Well sitting in the sun drinking Pina Coladas with gorgeous cuban birds wrapped around my arms seems about as likely as a USE forming in my lifetime so I'm sticking with Cuba.
    Fair enough.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.