Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Prospects for young people 'have worsened' says report watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it's improved for those on welfare! laughing at that hard working graduate going out to work trying to get his slice in society.

We need to cut benefits deeper have more apprenticeship schemes available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    The minimum payment level will increase within inflation and £21k a year is around average wage. I'm perfectly fine with tuition fees, it makes the rich pay more.
    thats all good, but the government knows that closing the gap between the minimum earners, and that £21k limit means more people will be paying tuition fees, and with the £21k being quite a low income, especially when you factor in living costs and single parents etc, it wouldn't do much harm for them to cut tuition fees, or at least reinvest in those paying them...

The only fair part of the whole thing is that low income earners are not subjected to high rates being paid by high earners.....

Is uni even worth it if you could get ahead in the right field?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I'm sure it's improved for those on welfare! laughing at that hard working graduate going out to work trying to get his slice in society.

We need to cut benefits deeper have more apprenticeship schemes available

and better ones at that, apprenticeships are too often used for cheap labour.

Not sure I agree with the first point though. People aren't on welfare for no reason.

You have the full advantage of being able bodied and minded enough to not qualify for those benefits, and to be able to go out to work.

Granted there are such people who wrongly make claims, but we should be tighter on regulations as opposed to punishing those that need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    thats all good, but the government knows that closing the gap between the minimum earners, and that £21k limit means more people will be paying tuition fees, and with the £21k being quite a low income, especially when you factor in living costs and single parents etc, it wouldn't do much harm for them to cut tuition fees, or at least reinvest in those paying them...

The only fair part of the whole thing is that low income earners are not subjected to high rates being paid by high earners.....

Is uni even worth it if you could get ahead in the right field?
    Well if you earn 21k you pay £0 a year its only 7% above that which would be £700 a year for people on 31k. That's not going to really punish anyone who isnt rich.

It's fairer that people who use a service pay for it rather than paying for it using general taxation. People who it doesn't benefit don't pay.

Depends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    and better ones at that, apprenticeships are too often used for cheap labour.

Not sure I agree with the first point though. People aren't on welfare for no reason.

You have the full advantage of being able bodied and minded enough to not qualify for those benefits, and to be able to go out to work.

Granted there are such people who wrongly make claims, but we should be tighter on regulations as opposed to punishing those that need it.
    Go into any inner city area and you will find thousands if not tens of thousands of able bodied people sitting there living off the government. It is a disgrace.

We need to make MAJOR cut backs in welfare and stop these people living off hard working young graduates. The tax burden is already high enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    It really doesn't have to be like that though. Young people and people in general just accept the driving down of living standards for the less privileged as if it is the result of some kind of natural disaster like an earthquake. It;s not, it's a miss managed economy or an economy being deliberately managed in a way that drives down the living standards indefinitely for a whole heap of people. When our leaders say we should work like the Chinese that is what they mean.
    Exactly, which is why so many grads are taking their skills abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    I'm so glad I'm 22. There are many much younger than me who will have to get a mini-mortgage to get a degree and get what looks like a mortgage for a five bed but only to buy a flat.
    Student debt is spectacularly favourable to the borrower. If you don't earn 21k you don't have to pay anything, and you only pay a small percentage above that. The amount of the debt isn't the main factor. Especially since it will be written off when you're 50. It's nothing like a mortgage, which is a commercial debt that is secured on your house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miacat)
    What a bloody surprise.

I joke.

And it's only going to get worse. An attack on the age group in question from 2010 onwards (of course, with a direct correlation to a Tory influenced government) has made them become the forgotten generation. History will never look kindly on this, and it's only set to get worse, with Osborne believing that only over 25's deserve the 'living wage'.
    That's disgraceful, need to pay for university fees + maintenance loan+ professional development loan just to get a ****ing job where I will not even be entitled for a ****ing living wage. **** the Government, and the Queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Go into any inner city area and you will find thousands if not tens of thousands of able bodied people sitting there living off the government. It is a disgrace.

We need to make MAJOR cut backs in welfare and stop these people living off hard working young graduates. The tax burden is already high enough.
    then in the sense of cut backs, by category rather than taking from all equally. The only reason that claims get through is the vague criteria and assessors not being as thorough as needed, which they wont do for free.

The society we live in is based far too much on interdependence for us to simply chop off what we don't want:
    we can't do much without money,
    we all pay the pensions of our grandparents,
    banks invest our money in the hope we wont all suddenly need it back,
    we all depend on money, however, what is the point, when it is just a cycle of you paying the government, to pay your boss, to pay you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    then in the sense of cut backs, by category rather than taking from all equally. The only reason that claims get through is the vague criteria and assessors not being as thorough as needed, which they wont do for free.

The society we live in is based far too much on interdependence for us to simply chop off what we don't want:
    we can't do much without money,
    we all pay the pensions of our grandparents,
    banks invest our money in the hope we wont all suddenly need it back,
    we all depend on money, however, what is the point, when it is just a cycle of you paying the government, to pay your boss, to pay you
    We need to cut the money we give away for FREE to people who dont DESERVE it. Simple.

We need major cut backs in welfare for those who are fit and able to work, with or without children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    banks invest our money in the hope we wont all suddenly need it back
    You understand that when you make a deposit in a bank, you are lending it money, right? Why do you think they pay interest? Are they just really generous organisations at heart?

It's not your money. It's the bank's money to do with as it pleases. All you have is a debt obligation.

(Original post by 0123456543210)
    That's disgraceful, need to pay for university fees + maintenance loan+ professional development loan just to get a ****ing job where I will not even be entitled for a ****ing living wage. **** the Government, and the Queen.
    I-i-it's not fair! When I finish my long years of education completely paid for by other people, and I have been financially supported through university with other people's money, I m-might have to pay some bits of it back one day, and I'm not even immediately entitled to £9 an hour for whatever I do!

Self-pity and self-entitlement are not attractive traits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    You understand that when you make a deposit in a bank, you are lending it money, right? Why do you think they pay interest? Are they just really generous organisations at heart?

It's not your money. It's the bank's money to do with as it pleases. All you have is a debt obligation.

Self-pity and self-entitlement are not attractive traits.
    I know the function of a bank, I'm just trying to explain why simply cutting welfare does not solve the highlighted issue of fraudulent claims, or help those that need it, m response would've been far too long, hence why I wrote a brief list, not worded to explain.

The governments exploitation of the human race is also not an attractive trait, hence the understandable uprising on this feed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    I know the function of a bank, I'm just trying to explain why simply cutting welfare does not solve the highlighted issue of fraudulent claims, or help those that need it, m response would've been far too long, hence why I wrote a brief list, not worded to explain.

The governments exploitation of the human race is also not an attractive trait, hence the understandable uprising on this feed...
    What do you mean by 'the government's exploitation of the human race'?

The government takes money in taxation and, with it, provides you with schooling, university funding, healthcare, infrastructure, and welfare (at the very least) when you need it. If you drive, the government gives you your licence, and protects you from unsafe drivers by requiring them to get one too. If you travel, the government gives you your passport. If you're employed, the government mandates maternity leave, sets a floor on your pay, and protects your position. If you're of any particular religion, ethnicity, sex, or sexuality, the government protects you from discrimination. If you breathe, the government regulates to protect you from taking in too much pollution or, if you're in a public place, second hand smoke. If you're attacked or mugged by other private citizens, the government not only provides you with a court system but also prosecutes the criminal for you.

If you think the government should do some of those things more, or differently, I get it, but I entirely don't understand the suggestion that the government is 'exploiting' people. The government governs. To say that it should do so differently is a fine view for you to hold. To suggest that the government is 'exploiting the human race' strongly suggests that you're wearing a tinfoil hat right now.

We all need to think things through a little, get a more sensible prospective, and realise that the world and society aren't out to get us.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 'the government's exploitation of the human race'?

The government takes money in taxation and, with it, provides you with schooling, university funding, healthcare, infrastructure, and welfare (at the very least) when you need it. If you drive, the government gives you your licence, and protects you from unsafe drivers by requiring them to get one too. If you travel, the government gives you your passport. If you're employed, the government mandates maternity leave, sets a floor on your pay, and protects your position. If you're of any particular religion, ethnicity, sex, or sexuality, the government protects you from discrimination. If you breathe, the government regulates to protect you from taking in too much pollution or, if you're in a public place, second hand smoke. If you're attacked or mugged by other private citizens, the government not only provides you with a court system but also prosecutes the criminal for you.

If you think the government should do some of those things more, or differently, I get it, but I entirely don't understand the suggestion that the government is 'exploiting' people. The government governs. To say that it should do so differently is a fine view for you to hold. To suggest that the government is 'exploiting the human race' strongly suggests that you're wearing a tinfoil hat right now.

We all need to think things through a little, get a more sensible prospective, and realise that the world and society aren't out to get us.

Maybe exploit was a strong word, but don't you find it slightly sad that we have to be placed in such militant a schooling system despite our natural willingness to learn, just so we can get a job for a good 70 years (don't forget retirement was originally set to ensure we only got 5 years max of pensions before dying) I just hate how our lives seem to be purposed for work as opposed to living...

P.S. I'm not sue a tinfoil hat would suit me, wouldn't fit over my hair..... tinfoil afro sounds cool though.... ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I started working in 1988.

There are only 2 types of people politicians listen to, people who vote and people who donate to their election campaigns. If you are not in either camp, politicians will ignore you.

I am in the older camp so I'll get all the benefits like a decent pension paid for by the youngsters.
    So then what the hell do you know about those who have started working post the housing boom? The whole thing is about those who started working post 2010 so what would you know about any of this? :rolleyes:

Also if you think that politicians listen to voters you are very wrong. The vast number of them are just public school kids looking to see who is the most popular in the playground. Many front benchers have never been out of London or worked in real industry so how could they possibly know how to help the country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    Maybe exploit was a strong word, but don't you find it slightly sad that we have to be placed in such militant a schooling system despite our natural willingness to learn, just so we can get a job for a good 70 years (don't forget retirement was originally set to ensure we only got 5 years max of pensions before dying) I just hate how our lives seem to be purposed for work as opposed to living...

P.S. I'm not sue a tinfoil hat would suit me, wouldn't fit over my hair..... tinfoil afro sounds cool though.... ;p
    But that's not the government or society's fault. That's just a function of the fact that someone has to make your food, build your house, power your electricity, etc. In other words, there's stuff that needs doing for you to live. There's really no way around that. Not right now, anyway.

It's more like 45 years: I'm not going to be working into my 90s, at least, I hope not. So on the average life expectancy you'll spend, what, more than a third of your life not working, and that's not accounting for holidays etc during your working life. Whilst enjoying our present standard of living that isn't too bad.

Incidentally, I completely agree that the school system isn't perfect, but it's basically a good thing imho.

The great thing about tinfoil hats is that they can fit over anything as long as you have enough tinfoil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    So then what the hell do you know about those who have started working post the housing boom? The whole thing is about those who started working post 2010 so what would you know about any of this? :rolleyes:
    Do you really think only the young know anything about housing costs? No wonder all you do is whine.

ReputationRep:
    But that's not the government or society's fault. That's just a function of the fact that someone has to make your food, build your house, power your electricity, etc. In other words, there's stuff that needs doing for you to live. There's really no way around that. Not right now, anyway.

It's more like 45 years: I'm not going to be working into my 90s, at least, I hope not. So on the average life expectancy you'll spend, what, more than a third of your life not working, and that's not accounting for holidays etc during your working life. Whilst enjoying our present standard of living that isn't too bad.

Incidentally, I completely agree that the school system isn't perfect, but it's basically a good thing imho.

The great thing about tinfoil hats is that they can fit over anything as long as you have enough tinfoil
    Thats the reason it's hard to criticise, the system is good, but will never be perfect. Things like the gov changing grading to numbers out of the belief that this is the cause of intelligence in Icelandic and Finnish students, as opposed to maybe the fact that they just happen to prioritise education...
    I'm glad we can be educated though, I reckon the best place to learn is as a university lecturer, exploring every question that pops into your head, like who invented tinfoil hats?

I feel sorry for the kids now, I just escaped the A Level reforms, missed out on maintenance grants - the good comes with the bad....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Do you really think only the young know anything about housing costs? No wonder all you do is whine.
    Ah, so much ignorance in one comment.
    So please tell me the average price increase of houses from the year 2000. Now what about average salary? And now explain how those two are linked and how to solve it.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i think the tories have the right plan, cut benefits for the lazy and idle. Will be enough for the hard working grads going out to get their slice of society! we cannot give ANYTHING to the feckless for FREE!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.