Turn on thread page Beta

Why wouldn't you date a transgender person? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    They might be the same person as before, but they would have been deceptive of who they truly were from the start of the relationship, and it would feel like they had withheld that from me because I might look at them differently. Regardless of whether that is the case or not, they took that decision which for me would seem like a betrayal of trust. If you can't be completely open with me from the start of a serious relationship I begin to question whether it really was serious or not.

“When someone shows you who they are believe them; the first time.”- Maya Angelou
    But they identify as female, live their life as female. When did they lie? Do you ask people you go out with if they're cis-gender? If anything, you assumed they were cis, and them telling you they were trans doesn't change anything.

You can't expect trans people to come out so soon in relationships because there are some horrible transphobic people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    I'm crying at your stupidity! How is that even on the same level? You're going to extreme levels!
    Principles must be stretched to their extremes to ensure that they are true in all instances.

If not then they're not principles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    So if I say I feel like I've always felt like I should be a unicorn, does that make me one?
    Lmao that's such an idiotic thing to say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Same idea at the core of it. You can continue crying but I'd like an answer.

First of all, unicorns don't exist.

Sex and gender are real things unlike unicorns. I mean you could get into the same argument with sexuality, being attracted to animals isn't the same as being attracted to the same sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    But they identify as female, live their life as female. When did they lie? Do you ask people you go out with if they're cis-gender? If anything, you assumed they were cis, and them telling you they were trans doesn't change anything.

You can't expect trans people to come out so soon in relationships because there are some horrible transphobic people
    I agree, it's not exactly a first date conversation topic, but as soon as things start getting serious you should tell them, not wait until they have fallen for you

ReputationRep:
    Eh, I'd be fine with it. I can understand why some people wouldn't, but it's appalling to claim that transgender people aren't 'actual' men/women.

ReputationRep:
    This type of thread has been done a hundred times and always gets the same responses and then devolves into arguing, so I'm gonna go ahead and close this now.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.