Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Poor White Males under achieving at school watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexS101)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...quality-report

In the current situation of making sure that Girls and Ethnic minorities have every avenue open to them, it seems that one group have been completely left behind by the education system.
    Couldn't possibly be even partially due to all of these schemes that are only open to girls or other minority groups could it? (Or at least that doesn't suit the BBC agenda).
    This has been well known and documented for well over a decade. Poor white males, often from single parent families living on sink estates, are doing worse in education than any other demographic. With the disadvantages they are faced with the results are not surprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Seraphina~)
    Have you watched this yet? the first two episodes have been deleted. Only the third episode is available.

I havre, can you summarize?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    It's because white students tend to be lazier than hard working asians of the same background
    The thing is that they are NOT of the same background at all. You can take a poor Asian lad but the chances are he has a huge amount of family structure in his life and both his working parents push him to excel.

Now take a poor white lad - chances are he comes from a completely dysfunctional family (often fatherless), lives on a sink estate, has nobody encouraging him educationally, and is surrounded by family members and local people that haven't worked in generations.

So, they may be from the same "poor" mould but their social backgrounds really couldn't be more different.

When I am really bored I sometimes watch Jeremy Kyle on youtube. It sure is easy to sneer at those "chavvy" white lads. But when you see the parents, and peers, and learn about the environment they are immersed in from infancy it's not hard to see why they are the way they are.

ReputationRep:
    The corporate elite are very much anti the west european male. You can see it so often in advertising like on this site through the deification of the ethnics (often beaming young negroes in their graduation garb) and the demonisation of native whites (usually depicted as eiither feckless chavs or privileged toffs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlobalBruthahud)
    The corporate elite are very much anti the west european male. You can see it so often in advertising like on this site through the deification of the ethnics (often beaming young negroes in their graduation garb) and the demonisation of native whites (usually depicted as eiither feckless chavs or privileged toffs)
    lmao. are you for real?

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Psst, I don't think she realises at all.
    She probably thinks I am a Muslim hating White chav

Spoiler:
    Show
    maybe I am :devil:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Just why would you call yourself Dajall:afraid:
    I like how calling myself al-Masih would have been ok

ReputationRep:
    The thing is poor white females do ok don't they? Why is that? Sometimes people have to take responsibility for their own actions or lack of action. It is well known that guys in school are often the more rowdy and lazy. Society can't keep blaming everyone but themselves for problems-that is what Labour would want. If you don't work hard it isn't your fault-it is someone else who has failed you. HOWEVER;

You must also take into account that when so many kids don't speak English the state bends over backwards to help them. To support them. To give them everything they need. Some communities (no need to name them, I will get a ban knowing TSR and its hatred of even objective facts) simply don't integrate or move here with good English skills.

Just read this link, ffs;
    http://www.teachingtimes.com/article...age-school.htm

1 in 6 primary school kids cannot speak any English at all.

So yes, these under achievers need to sort their attitude out. But I would bet any money that they don't get half the attention that some get. It seems that if you want special treatment (whether it be in housing, schools, public services in general) just make sure you have as little connection to the UK as possible. Never be born in the UK or have paid tax. Then you will get your special treatment in no time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    Nope. All working class kids tend to underachieve compared to their middle/upper class peers. Why the focus is on white boys is beyond me. Or maybe it's because it IS due to their group alone.
    because white boys are underachieving far more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    there should be a men's international day to discuss men's issues...
    Roflmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    I like how calling myself al-Masih would have been ok
    Or the Antichrist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlobalBruthahud)
    Because most corporations want to alienate their most important customers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    The thing is poor white females do ok don't they? Why is that? Sometimes people have to take responsibility for their own actions or lack of action. It is well known that guys in school are often the more rowdy and lazy. Society can't keep blaming everyone but themselves for problems-that is what Labour would want. If you don't work hard it isn't your fault-it is someone else who has failed you. HOWEVER;

You must also take into account that when so many kids don't speak English the state bends over backwards to help them. To support them. To give them everything they need. Some communities (no need to name them, I will get a ban knowing TSR and its hatred of even objective facts) simply don't integrate or move here with good English skills.

So yes, these under achievers need to sort their attitude out. But I would bet any money that they don't get half the attention that some get. It seems that if you want special treatment (whether it be in housing, schools, public services in general) just make sure you have as little connection to the UK as possible. Never be born in the UK or have paid tax. Then you will get your special treatment in no time.
    Bitter and untrue.

ReputationRep:
    White males have a better opportunity than the rest of us to do well.

ReputationRep:

This is completely untrue, I remember when I was in primary school, I didn't know a word of English when I started and I also remember getting no attention paid to me at all, not even the much needed attention.I remember my teachers would just give me a book and make me go sit in the 'reading corner' and I would just sit there and cry untill hometime.

I can't imagine it's any different now, when I was in year 6 a boy from Slovakia joined us, he wasn't given any attention either, teachers actually discriminated against him and I remember that very well because when he couldn't understand a maths problems they wouldn't spend much time explaining it to him at all. Clearly setting him back for the future.

Anyway teachers would probably complain they don't have the time to be teaching languages and doing their jobs simultaneously for the pay that they recieve, so I disagree with almost everything you have said.

ReputationRep:
    can we take a step back and realise that we're talking about relative poverty and not absolute poverty here.all of these pupils have access to schools and all of these schools have access to books. i strongly believe that the problem occurring here is a failure for these young people to see the consequences of not developing their minds academically. In the UK there is one fundamental problem. the welfare system will always be there to catch you if you fall. now i'm not here to slander those on benefits but what i am saying is that it greatly reduces the fear of the consequences the students face from not making something of themselves. They are fully aware that they can rely on the state.If we look at the Chinese students in china. i am of the understanding that there is no such welfare system and thus the fear of potential poverty drives the students to work harder than their British counterparts.

Along side this little theory if we take a look at some of the developing countries around the world, a personal example being Nigeria. i know people who grew up in ABSOLUTE poverty who didn't have shoes, money or even a proper school to be going to, but they managed to overcome the adversities and make something out of themselves because of the understanding that if they didn't, the government wouldn't look after them and therefore they and their future children would suffer. If you look around there are stories like this everywhere.the problem is, young people can become too comfortable because they aren't exposed to the real world and this can cause them to lack ambition.

So yes i believe young people i the UK in general are lazier because there is an inherent belief that they'll be 'ALRIGHT' whatever they do or don't do in school.

ReputationRep:
    Much like dealing with the worrying level of English homelessness, its not really considered an issue of any importance by the elite.

ReputationRep:
    Except we are a product of our history and heritage, there is no denying that. The sooner we recognize that instead of washing our hands of the problem, the better.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't some hierophany, this has always been the case. The problem is the Americanization of our current adolescents and 20 year olds, insofar that they attribute every social idiosyncrasy to Britain because of its prescience in the states. The augurs whom dominate our social hypothalamus solely believe this, and say blacks are oppressed, whites are priveleged etc - truth is; blacks aren't oppressed here, and black british people have been integrated for a long time, no slavery for a very long time etc. However our society does have an uneasy relationship with class. Lower class children, predominately are white and males as we know tend to exhibit worse traits under lack of nuture etc etc - the problem won't and can't be serialised by most people though, as people prefer to live in their inimical appropriation of American social mores, rather than the very different and very real ones of British society. TLR - we're a very different society than America, and underclass people have historically and to this day been largely white and they've always been ruffians for it and done the worse in society.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.