Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you let your son dress up as a princess? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Then why would you be scared to let your son be dressed up as a princess for Halloween? Where I come from, we didn't really had a Halloween, instead we had another even similar to Halloween where we go dressed up, usually as gypsies and ask for sweets or if they don't have it, they usually give us money. My friends (girls) dressed me up as a gypsie lady and that did not make me any less worthy than any other person, it was all for fun
    I want my son to be an alpha bro. What if he ends up liking dressing up as a female...and ends up as a drag queen :afraid: That's unacceptable :lol:I don't see anything wrong with dressing up as a gypsy tbf

Btw, are you gay or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ermahgerd11)
    I want my son to be an alpha bro. What if he ends up liking dressing up as a female...and ends up as a drag queen :afraid: That's unacceptable :lol:I don't see anything wrong with dressing up as a gypsy tbf

Btw, are you gay or?
    I was dressed up as a gypsy woman and wearing a long skirt plus had make up on me What my sexuality has to do with this?

What's wrong with drag queens? :hmmm: They do it for entertainment purposes and if that brings money, why not? Better than stuck in a boring job that pays little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubzeh)
    Yes if he was young.

But I'd let him know that being a woman and sucking **** is very bad.
    So you have tried it and didn't like it eh...? Fair game.

ReputationRep:
    I was dressed up as a gypsy woman and wearing a long skirt plus had make up on me What my sexuality has to do with this?

What's wrong with drag queens? :hmmm: They do it for entertainment purposes and if that brings money, why not? Better than stuck in a boring job that pays little
    I actually thought you were a female damn :lol: We both got the other persons gender wrong lol. Ah, got it. I was just asking about your sexuality because of your avi

So are you a drag queen then? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Absolutely not and I'd consult a psychiatrist because when I think about my youth, we had no inclination whatsoever to even mingle with girls until we were about 10
    judging by your genes i would say you are the only one in this thread who will ever have to face this situation no offense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    judging by your genes i would say you are the only one in this thread who will ever have to face this situation no offense
    Ouch, I think I need some ice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ermahgerd11)
    I actually thought you were a female damn :lol: We both got the other persons gender wrong lol. Ah, got it. I was just asking about your sexuality because of your avi

So are you a drag queen then? :hmmm:
    I think my avatar tells everything :mmm: No! I'd be a terrible drag queen and just scare everyone away without even being close to them :toofunny: But I was a hot gypsy woman though :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, I think I need some ice.
    yeah i pretty much nailed that insult imo

ReputationRep:
    I think my avatar tells everything :mmm: No! I'd be a terrible drag queen and just scare everyone away without even being close to them :toofunny: But I was a hot gypsy woman though :sexface:
    Disappointing. You're a pretty cool guy. Is that why you called me pussy? Because you dislike pussy so used it as an insult :mmm:
    Drag queens are scary without even trying. I still haven't seen one which doesn't look creepy :lol: Hmmm, really

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell him that he'd be laughed at and people would think he was very strange and might not want to be friends with him, and that he should think about it very carefully, but if he still wanted to after all that I wouldn't stand in his way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    Of course I would - as a previous poster said, surely dressing up is all about having fun while being someone/something different for a day?

If he were a young child, I would have absolutely no doubts whatsoever. If he were aged above ten or so, I would still have no problem with it, however I would be concerned in case he was mocked by anybody or anybody made it seem weird.

All in all, he could dress as whatever he wanted, however if he were a little older where other children are more likely to care then I would want to ensure that he would understand that other children might find it odd.
    Exactly, there is no reason for people to be uncomfortable in their son's or their own masculinity, defying sex role stereotypes does not change your gender, it just means you have the freedom to do things that you are typically restricted from by antiquated ideals.

The only reason I wouldn't let my son dress up as a princess is if it was a Disney one - I personally hate that company, that would go for my daughter too....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    yeah i pretty much nailed that insult imo
    Not really, mate. It was quite mediocre. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to lie and say I would be 100% OK with it because in truth I wouldn't be.
    If it was a one off thing, fair enough but if it became routine that's when I would raise an eyebrow - I think if you let little children do things associated with femininity if they're a boy or masculinity if they're a girl habitually it will form a part of their gender identity, and it may even lead to transgenderism, so it can have a harmful impact.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with transgenders as people, but it's really not a nice thing to feel trapped inside a body which you don't feel yourself in, and I think steering children to their associated gender norms may prevent this ordeal. It may not work and the child may indeed end up transgender out of your control, but I don't think encouraging gender bending at a young age helps their development.

Call me a bigot but that's my take on it

ReputationRep:
    If I had a son and he did that I would get the wooden spoon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle1198)
    I'm not going to lie and say I would be 100% OK with it because in truth I wouldn't be.
    If it was a one off thing, fair enough but if it became routine that's when I would raise an eyebrow - I think if you let little children do things associated with femininity if they're a boy or masculinity if they're a girl habitually it will form a part of their gender identity, and it may even lead to transgenderism, so it can have a harmful impact.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with transgenders as people, but it's really not a nice thing to feel trapped inside a body which you don't feel yourself in, and I think steering children to their associated gender norms may prevent this ordeal. It may not work and the child may indeed end up transgender out of your control, but I don't think encouraging gender bending at a young age helps their development.

Call me a bigot but that's my take on it
    You know what will do more harm to a trans or gender non-conforming kid? Forcing them to live in their assigned gender role. As long as your child is not hurting anyone else (and you getting pissed off because they won't follow socially created gender norms does not mean they are hurting you) let them do whatever they want. If they want a toy (and you can afford it), get them it. Same with clothes or hobbies. Society forces a gender on bodies, clothes, hobbies, toys etc. Nothing is inherently gendered (although someone's own gender (or lack of) is part of them).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I generally wouldn't care if I'm honest. When I did a placement at a nursery, you (as a worker) were told to encourage to gender neutral play. So, if the boys wanted to play with the dools, you adh to let them. If the girls wanted to play with the action men, you had to allow it.

ReputationRep:
    I've dressed up as worse so can't see why it'd be a problem if he wanted to dress as a princess,whether it's because he's gay or it's just for a laugh.

I wouldn't be much use helping with his makeup though so we'd have to find a woman (or makeup wearing man) to help with it

ReputationRep:
    When I and my siblings were little, we used to do a lot of things together. Since we are two girls and one boy, we used to play with "girls' toys" such as Barbies and watch princesses' films but also play with hot wheels cars, lego, transformers etc. and play football in the mud.
    We didn't care about gender, we just wanted to have fun and spend time together.
    Now that we're all teenagers I can tell you that our childhood activities haven't changed our sexual orientation, gender identity or whatever.
    Kids learn stuff like "pink is for girls" or "short hair aren't good on a girl" from adults, so if you let them dress up the way they want you won't do them harm at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    It's a couple of guys kissing - grow up and start sorting your insecurities out.
    It is nothing to do with insecurity, and more to do with how it can offend and shock other members of tsr

ReputationRep:
    Not really, mate. It was quite mediocre. :dontknow:
    you probably just didn't understand it

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.