Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2015/16 Rugby (Union) Season Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how Sarries managed to pull off the bonus point there...

ReputationRep:
    Current Premiership top 4 to be the top 4 at the end of the season?

ReputationRep:
    An excellent weekend for the Welsh regions capped off with the Dragons stuffing Munster.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else catch ITV's "Legacy - the 2015 World Cup"?

Man, I miss it. Got me very excited for the 6 nations, which starts in just over 4 weeks. England fans expecting any upsets in he squad selection?

Ps. That programme really enforced my dislike of Stuart Barnes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)

Man, I miss it. Got me very excited for the 6 nations, which starts in just over 4 weeks. England fans expecting any upsets in he squad selection?

No, though I'll have a look on the ITV Hub as it certainly sounds like a good watch.

I'm expecting some shock but I don't really know where. Hartley not being made captain would be a nice surprise though.

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone finding the season panning out? European CC has a pleasantly english feel to it although obviously the next three weeks will be critical. The PRO12 seems really random, all teams beating all teams and no real pattern to the teams in form/out of form (but i say this as an outsider who doesn't follow PRO12 all too much? The Premiership seems to be extremely competitive as ever, along with Saracens who are looking imperious (but so did Saints last season) it looks like any one of 8 teams could fill the three remaining playoff spots, with a genuine three-horse relegation battle looking like it could be quite intersting as well.

(Original post by The Wavefunction)

I'm definitely expecting mini-upsets (e.g. Some of Lancaster's favourites (Robshaw, Wood, T. Youngs, Lawes, etc) dropped, or a youngster who nobody thought had a realistic chance being selected, or someone who everyone was sure would get in the squad (Daly, George, Brown, etc) getting dropped) but I can't imagine there being too much of a shaking up, especially with the EPS limitations.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    No, though I'll have a look on the ITV Hub as it certainly sounds like a good watch.

I'm expecting some shock but I don't really know where. Hartley not being made captain would be a nice surprise though.
    I'd be gutted if Hartley was made captain. Not sure who it should be though, only not Hartley!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Skitee)
    How's everyone finding the season panning out? European CC has a pleasantly english feel to it although obviously the next three weeks will be critical. The PRO12 seems really random, all teams beating all teams and no real pattern to the teams in form/out of form (but i say this as an outsider who doesn't follow PRO12 all too much? The Premiership seems to be extremely competitive as ever, along with Saracens who are looking imperious (but so did Saints last season) it looks like any one of 8 teams could fill the three remaining playoff spots, with a genuine three-horse relegation battle looking like it could be quite intersting as well.
    I am fully expecting Sarries' unbeaten record to be broken fairly soon and for them to fall in the playoffs. Either that or we'll maintain it, at least in the league, all season and then get knocked out of the playoffs by a team that squeaked into 4th place.

I'd be gutted if Hartley was made captain. Not sure who it should be though, only not Hartley!
    I presume by appointing Hartley he is basically looking for someone to keep the armband warm for Itoje or somebody. Though I'd actually split the captaincy between Ben Youngs and Danny Care (presuming they get picked) if that was the case.

ReputationRep:
    I am fully expecting Sarries' unbeaten record to be broken fairly soon and for them to fall in the playoffs. Either that or we'll maintain it, at least in the league, all season and then get knocked out of the playoffs by a team that squeaked into 4th place.

I presume by appointing Hartley he is basically looking for someone to keep the armband warm for Itoje or somebody. Though I'd actually split the captaincy between Ben Youngs and Danny Care (presuming they get picked) if that was the case.
    Youngs and Care sounds like a good shout - although is it fair to leave Simpson out?

And I hope Sarries fail (certainly hope it happens next week) but looking at their squad I can't see it happening. Sport is a funny old thing though and form often makes absolutely no logical sense so I can see it happening, purely because teams coming in and out of form is the sort of thing that happens.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Haskell signs a contract extension with Wasps.

ReputationRep:
    Saracens are on fire at the moment! Blew Tigers away at the weekend. However I do believe in the saying "peaked to early" especially with the playoffs but maybe Saracens have another few gears to go though yet, I don't know. Harlequins at the weekend will be a tough test for you.

Saracen's Fez - Im wondering what your view is of the plastic pitch at Saracens?

ReputationRep:
    Skitee With regards to Pro 12, I think the early season has had a big influence on the table with the top teams having lots of players unavailable due to WC. This allowed the likes of Connacht and Scarlets to get off to a flying start. Things are starting to go more as expected, but it's definitely a very competitive league. Home advantage seems to make a very big difference for a lot of teams.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Youngs and Care sounds like a good shout - although is it fair to leave Simpson out?
    The way Wasps are playing it can certainly be justified.

(Original post by matt1306)
    Saracens are on fire at the moment! Blew Tigers away at the weekend. However I do believe in the saying "peaked to early" especially with the playoffs but maybe Saracens have another few gears to go though yet, I don't know. Harlequins at the weekend will be a tough test for you.

Saracen's Fez - Im wondering what your view is of the plastic pitch at Saracens?
    I think it's a brilliant thing to have on weekends like the last one. Having now watched the highlights show and seen the state of the Kingsholm pitch after 80 minutes I'm very pleased that we don't have to play (at least at home) on something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a brilliant thing to have on weekends like the last one. Having now watched the highlights show and seen the state of the Kingsholm pitch after 80 minutes I'm very pleased that we don't have to play (at least at home) on something like that.
    Yeah I see your point. It will be interesting to see after 5-10 seasons of playing on the pitch as to weather the players are ok with it and its not too heavy on the joints. Most of the Leicester players, after playing on it, say their joints hurt like crazy so it'll be interesting to see when the current Saracens players retire, how their bodies are!

Personally, I think everyone should have it, or no one at all, thats just my personal view.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    In some fairly incredible news, Andy Farrell replaces Les Kiss as Ireland's defence coach, coming in after the Six Nations.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Farrell seems like a good choice as a defence coach. His problems at England stemmed from when that role was extended to being backs coach!

On another note, is anyone else not slightly annoyed that the European fixtures were rescheduled to this weekend (from a Premiership point of view). I mean, I checked the TV schedule today and was annoyed to realise that neither of Harlequins-Sarries or Exeter-Gloucester were televised, because they had to fit in TV rights for the European matches as well. I mean, I understand why they did it but it does annoy me ever so slightly... I should have bought tickets for Quins-Sarries after all! (not buying them because I thought "oh well, at least they'll be on TV!")

ReputationRep:
    Andy Farrell seems like a good choice as a defence coach. His problems at England stemmed from when that role was extended to being backs coach!

On another note, is anyone else not slightly annoyed that the European fixtures were rescheduled to this weekend (from a Premiership point of view). I mean, I checked the TV schedule today and was annoyed to realise that neither of Harlequins-Sarries or Exeter-Gloucester were televised, because they had to fit in TV rights for the European matches as well. I mean, I understand why they did it but it does annoy me ever so slightly... I should have bought tickets for Quins-Sarries after all! (not buying them because I thought "oh well, at least they'll be on TV!"
    If you don't mind waiting until a few hours after the match, they put full match replays (of each and every Premiership match) on the website (Link).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

On another note, is anyone else not slightly annoyed that the European fixtures were rescheduled to this weekend (from a Premiership point of view). I mean, I checked the TV schedule today and was annoyed to realise that neither of Harlequins-Sarries or Exeter-Gloucester were televised, because they had to fit in TV rights for the European matches as well. I mean, I understand why they did it but it does annoy me ever so slightly... I should have bought tickets for Quins-Sarries after all! (not buying them because I thought "oh well, at least they'll be on TV!"
    Even when the original 3 picks were done for the Prem this weekend they were Bath-Sale, Tigers-Saints and Irish-Newcastle. For some reason (and I can only presume quota-filling) the London Derby wasn't picked.

I bet BT are regretting that a bit now given how well both teams are going.

ReputationRep:
    Even when the original 3 picks were done for the Prem this weekend they were Bath-Sale, Tigers-Saints and Irish-Newcastle. For some reason (and I can only presume quota-filling) the London Derby wasn't picked.

I bet BT are regretting that a bit now given how well both teams are going.
    Bath-Sale over Quins-Sarries? Seems a bit ridiculous! Especially given the result - incredible stuff from Quins! Over the moon!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Really late victory for Wasps at home to Worcester today! Remarkable.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    England Senior squad for RBS 6 Nations and Elite Player Squad:

Forwards

Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks)
    Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
    Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
    Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
    Jamie George (Saracens)
    Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
    James Haskell (Wasps)
    Paul Hill (Northampton Saints)
    Maro Itoje (Saracens)
    George Kruis (Saracens)
    Matt Kvesic (Gloucester Rugby) *injury replacement for Dave Ewers (Exeter Chiefs)
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
    Joe Marler (Harlequins)
    Matt Mullan (Wasps)
    Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
    Henry Thomas (Bath Rugby) *injury replacement for Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints)
    Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens)

Backs

Chris Ashton (Saracens)
    Mike Brown (Harlequins)
    Danny Care (Harlequins)
    Elliot Daly (Wasps)
    Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby) *injury replacement for Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
    Owen Farrell (Saracens)
    George Ford (Bath Rugby)
    Alex Goode (Saracens)
    Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs) *injury replacement for Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
    Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)
    Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
    Marland Yarde (Harlequins)
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.