Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Child tax credits should be paid based upon education/skills watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    So instead of 'women and children first' it should be 'life is equal go for it'?

There are indeed lots if factors but this one is within everyone's ability to control ( with some exceptions) and thus if they choose not to they are willingly choosing not to benefit their child.

(I accidentally prematurely posted- my last post has been updated)
    I did think it was a bit short

Yeah, it should be - everyone should be treated equally. The whole women and children first thing has always baffled me - well, not so much children, as up to a certain age they're pretty helpless with most things haha but women first? And I'm applying this to all life, not just human life

Assuming there's at least one friend/family member/their partner willing to help care for the child, yes, formula would help...

What if the risk is less than that of a car trip? This is what I'm saying - risk is relative. Plus, I make the choice to get in the car. I could've avoided the accident by not doing so, travelling by a statistically safer mode of transport or not at all.

I would agree they don't have free will, and I wouldn't necessarily say they'd all choose breast, I think we both know how ****ing odd humans are as a species nevertheless, I'd still rank the free will of the mother above the benefits of not breastfeeding. Yes, breastfeeding is beneficial up to a point (the point at which it stops being beneficial is disputed but the earliest I've heard a doctor say is 6 months) but the most reliable (in terms of it being shown repeatedly) benefit we've seen is protection against chest and gut infection. All other potential benefits that are regularly parroted by boob milk warriors (increased IQ, decreased risk of obesity etc.) have shown correlation with breastfeeding but not necessarily causation. Furthermore, these are multifactoral and it's impossible to pull out the influence of breastfeeding from everything else involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    I did think it was a bit short

Yeah, it should be - everyone should be treated equally. The whole women and children first thing has always baffled me - well, not so much children, as up to a certain age they're pretty helpless with most things haha but women first? And I'm applying this to all life, not just human life

Assuming there's at least one friend/family member/their partner willing to help care for the child, yes, formula would help...

What if the risk is less than that of a car trip? This is what I'm saying - risk is relative. Plus, I make the choice to get in the car. I could've avoided the accident by not doing so, travelling by a statistically safer mode of transport or not at all.

I would agree they don't have free will, and I wouldn't necessarily say they'd all choose breast, I think we both know how ****ing odd humans are as a species nevertheless, I'd still rank the free will of the mother above the benefits of not breastfeeding. Yes, breastfeeding is beneficial up to a point (the point at which it stops being beneficial is disputed but the earliest I've heard a doctor say is 6 months) but the most reliable (in terms of it being shown repeatedly) benefit we've seen is protection against chest and gut infection. All other potential benefits that are regularly parroted by boob milk warriors (increased IQ, decreased risk of obesity etc.) have shown correlation with breastfeeding but not necessarily causation. Furthermore, these are multifactoral and it's impossible to pull out the influence of breastfeeding from everything else involved.
    Well if you think you have the same worth as a pidgeon then fine.

If the mother is too depressed to adequately care for her own child then the child should be taken into care- no excuses, the child comes first.

We're going into circles now though, m...

ReputationRep:
    Well if you think you have the same worth as a pidgeon then fine.

If the mother is too depressed to adequately care for her own child then the child should be taken into care- no excuses, the child comes first.

We're going into circles now though, m...

Like I said before, non-human animals deserve our respect imo.

So the child of every single woman with post natal depression should be taken into care? Right...

I think we should agree to disagree haha!

ReputationRep:
    Like I said before, non-human animals deserve our respect imo.

So the child of every single woman with post natal depression should be taken into care? Right...

I think we should agree to disagree haha!
    Implying every woman with post natal depression is going to be physically incapable of breastfeeding, which coincidentally will help cure them.

People have managed to cope in far worse circumstances - we should stop pandering and put the child first.

ReputationRep:
    Implying every woman with post natal depression is going to be physically incapable of breastfeeding, which coincidentally will help cure them.

People have managed to cope in far worse circumstances - we should stop pandering and put the child first.
    I never said they would? It was just an example I used.

'We' should stop trying to inflict our views on other people and leave them be.

ReputationRep:

'We' should stop trying to inflict our views on other people and leave them be.
    This is the problem with liberalism

1- people are always inflicted by ideology whether they think they are or not- be it by family, society, media, etc. what matters is evidence.

2- so I should be free to raise my child as part of Isis/ to take cocaine/ whatever?

If not, why are you imposing your views on me?

ReputationRep:
    This is the problem with liberalism

1- people are always inflicted by ideology whether they think they are or not- be it by family, society, media, etc. what matters is evidence.

2- so I should be free to raise my child as part of Isis/ to take cocaine/ whatever?

If not, why are you imposing your views on me?
    I should clarify - with moral exceptions. I was hoping that was implied as before.

Yes, that's right, let's punish children for their parents' actions. That sounds like a brilliant idea, why aren't more people like you in government? Oh, wait ...

ReputationRep:
    So the OP believes that those who are better off should receive more help from the state than those who are worse off... what?

Cameron... is that you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by bob5124)
    So the OP believes that those who are better off should receive more help from the state than those who are worse off... what?

Cameron... is that you?
    George Osborn*

ReputationRep:
    I know this is an idiot troll thread but the sorts of people who go get degrees tend to have less children on average anyway. You don';t need to insentavise them to have less children.

As the borderline racist Raskas says, the "chavs" keep the white population up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I know this is an idiot troll thread but the sorts of people who go get degrees tend to have less children on average anyway. You don';t need to insentavise them to have less children.

As the borderline racist Raskas says, the "chavs" keep the white population up.
    Clearly it's not a troll thread since you gave an "honest" reply. i am creating incentives for the uneducated chavs to gain skills/education so they can have better career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I agree but they are still better off than someone with an E in GCSE Art.

We have MATURE students going back to gain degrees you know, obviously they are worth something
    Who said an E in art? Degrees aren't fit everybody. I think you've fallen into the trap that they are.

Give me somebody with an apprenticeship in welding or CNC lathe operating and I bet they're more use to society than many graduates who took the university route......and better paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Who said an E in art? Degrees aren't fit everybody. I think you've fallen into the trap that they are.

Give me somebody with an apprenticeship in welding or CNC lathe operating and I bet they're more use to society than many graduates who took the university route......and better paid.
    It's both for degrees and skills i.e apprenticeships etc.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly it's not a troll thread since you gave an "honest" reply.
    I gave a reply to the people who think you are being serious and not a troll.

ReputationRep:
    I gave a reply to the people who think you are being serious and not a troll.
    Well i want Britain to succeed and to bring incentives back.

ReputationRep:
    Well i want Britain to succeed and to bring incentives back.
    You want to wind up TSRians.

ReputationRep:
    You want to wind up TSRians.
    Not really if that is a side effect of speaking the truth, then so be it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Child tax credits should be paid based upon education/skills of parents. i.e those who have degrees should be paid more. This is an incentive for people to go out and learn a skill or gain a degree.

Discuss?

Those without will receive a lower sum. This is an incentive to stop "chav" culture/teenage pregnancies and council house dependency.
    Equality, flat rate, don't discriminate is my view.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by balanced)
    Equality, flat rate, don't discriminate is my view.
    That wouldn't work. For those needing more help, you'd then have to give everyone more money or leave them out whilst knowing they need support.

It's not discrimination as everyone would ( in said ideal system ) get the max of what they need.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.