Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackDiary)
    Hi. This going to be my 5th time applying for medicine. I have everything including 1st in Biomed but the only thing that stops me is the entry test. Can you recommend any useful preparation for gamsat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Reading this is actually so motivational, and I have genuine respect for people like yourself. I'm not quite in the same boat, (I'm sitting the gamsat in March and it will be my 4th attempt), but i can really relate to your situation. I think i can safely say my family has pretty much given up hope on me, and my friends literally think i'm insane lol, but people don't understand how hard it is to just give up on your dreams. Any way, I'm going to keep trying until it happens (hopefully soon), and I think it's always nice to know that you're not alone in this.

Keep going! Your resilience is really inspiring and it will have definitely been worth the fight in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Are those who are doing GAMSAT also doing UKCAT. Seems to me that a lot of people are choosing to do only one.

And please remember to register for the GAMSAT in March by 1st Feb 2016!!

ReputationRep:
    I only sat the GAMSAT this year as I had too much on to consider the UKCAT too. But now I have a background in the former I have been looking into the latter.

With any hope I will get an offer on this cycle but am continuing to study for the exams in case I don't make it this time. I think it just depends what you think you can manage in terms of time and money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PintoBeans)
    Are those who are doing GAMSAT also doing UKCAT. Seems to me that a lot of people are choosing to do only one.

And please remember to register for the GAMSAT in March by 1st Feb 2016!!
    I did both this year. It's definitely tough but doable if you plan your time carefully.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who registered for the Irish Gamsat in March, did you purchase the exam books at the same time? Can you buy them later on? Cos i'm not really doing exam questions atm.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by H-Specter)
    I had this exact conversation with one of the SHOs - he swears that if he did it all again he would not choose medicine. He cited the low pay at the beginning and the lack of respect shown to junior doctors as to why he felt like this.

Many doctors I think would tell you this but I guess you only find out when you are in the thick of it.
    Sadly, its all health careers which are like that. Nurses and paramedics don't get the pay they deserves, pharmacy graduates can only workona locum basis with no breaks at all (20 minutes of break includes the time spent on the bog) and for 1/3-1/2 the pay from 2012. On top of that, most jr healthcare professionals are treated like crap (f1s have to clean patients; community pharmacy pre-reges are forced to clean toilets weekly/ hoover the entire pharmacy daily).people complain about f1 and f2s not being paid enough. Truth is that they get paid more than lot of people, so pay shouldn't be a deterrent for not being a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I will be taking this exam in Sept again. After hardly doing any work last year for GAMSAT, will have to start revision early. This will be my 3rd time applying for Med. Will do the UKCAT too - I seem to struggle a lot with this exam. Any tips?
    One thing I would say to those applying again: Never give up. Everything happens for a reason. Probably something better will come out of it. It's worth waiting for. Our time will come soon (touch wood)!

ReputationRep:
    Trying desperately to build motivation to start studying for march. Really hope it will be easier after my experience last September. The wait to hear back from Exeter is killing me. But I think the hope that I just might get an offer is stopping me studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!!!

For anyone interested in the latest Des Oneill Books...ive got all three as scanned docs which I share for a small price- i understand the struggle as I had to cough up £350 for the original books. If interested drop me a message and ill be happy to share.

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone doing? I ended up taking a big break over December for various reasons so I need to get back into it. I am still working through Chemistry...haven't touched Biology or Physics yet, much less Philosophy. Starting to feel the pressure!

Is everyone also taking the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anatomyjane)
    How is everyone doing? I ended up taking a big break over December for various reasons so I need to get back into it. I am still working through Chemistry...haven't touched Biology or Physics yet, much less Philosophy. Starting to feel the pressure!

Done a bit of chemistry and physics. How are you preparing for Biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anillatoo)
    Done a bit of chemistry and physics. How are you preparing for Biology?
    I am using GCSE and A-level books for my sciences. I love Biology and did well in school so just using A-Level books. Chemistry I find more difficult so I've gone back to basics and am working through GCSE first. My degree wasn't science based so a lot of what I'm doing is just recapping. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everybody,
    Hope you all had a lovely Xmas. Happy new year too!

Anybody doing the March GAMSAT, in London? Also do you know where it's going it be held (or where it was held last year), as I need to book a hotel..

ReputationRep:
    I am using GCSE and A-level books for my sciences. I love Biology and did well in school so just using A-Level books. Chemistry I find more difficult so I've gone back to basics and am working through GCSE first. My degree wasn't science based so a lot of what I'm doing is just recapping. How about you?
    I have studied mechanical engineering, did chemistry and physics A Level years ago. For chemistry and physics, I am using traditional A Level textbooks with a bit of MCAT material. The problem with Biology is some questions you cannot prepare for. Examples are the ones involving complex metabolic pathways or graphs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZaiKay)
    Hi Everybody,
    Hope you all had a lovely Xmas. Happy new year too!

Anybody doing the March GAMSAT, in London? Also do you know where it's going it be held (or where it was held last year), as I need to book a hotel..
    I don't think they tell you the exact location until about 2 weeks before the exam date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefull_Medic)
    Reading this is actually so motivational, and I have genuine respect for people like yourself. I'm not quite in the same boat, (I'm sitting the gamsat in March and it will be my 4th attempt), but i can really relate to your situation. I think i can safely say my family has pretty much given up hope on me, and my friends literally think i'm insane lol, but people don't understand how hard it is to just give up on your dreams. Any way, I'm going to keep trying until it happens (hopefully soon), and I think it's always nice to know that you're not alone in this.

Keep going! Your resilience is really inspiring and it will have definitely been worth the fight in the end.
    Is it that you haven't quite got the pass mark on the GAMSAT or UKCAT to satisfy the med school admission officers or did you get a good score but still no interview ???

I'm curious as I'm trying to the same but hopefully dentistry ( or even medicine at nicosia)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I kinda took a break of three days.

But now I'm handing my notice (for work) so I can focus on it. bit hard to plan my studying when I never know what hours I'm gonna get. Thank god my notice period is only 1 week.

I've done loads of chem but I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Bio is okay. Physics I've been ignoring for months.

I've started some philosophy but I'm a Law grad so not gonna sweat over S1 and S2.

The pressure is awful!

Yeah I'm gonna take the UKCAT too

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I've decided last minute to pursue medicine after some very deep reflection about my future. I am currently a nurse working in London. Today, I registered for the GAMSAT for March - not sure if I'm pushing it time wise but it's one step forward. I guess I'm writing this post for moral support from fellow prospective examinees too. Reading this thread, I see everyone has different backgrounds and revision techniques, would be grateful for any tips! I also see Neuronerd has offered some helpful resources, I tried to find this person but according to TSR they have not been online since march 2015 *eeeep*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love->SHINee)
    Hi guys,

So I've decided last minute to pursue medicine after some very deep reflection about my future. I am currently a nurse working in London. Today, I registered for the GAMSAT for March - not sure if I'm pushing it time wise but it's one step forward. I guess I'm writing this post for moral support from fellow prospective examinees too. Reading this thread, I see everyone has different backgrounds and revision techniques, would be grateful for any tips! I also see Neuronerd has offered some helpful resources, I tried to find this person but according to TSR they have not been online since march 2015 *eeeep*
    Hello,

I'm also in nursing in London (still a student). After much thought I'm still considering whether I want to go into medicine, but I feel like I most probably will. The OP I think has copies of neuronerds materials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love->SHINee)
    Hi guys,

I'm still here just over in the 2016 entry thread. I no longer have the ACER materials sorry guys!

Good luck in the exam and knock em dead. The main key is just to keep at it. Practice as much as you can with timing because timing is the hardest part of the entire exam.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.