Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should prejudice against BTECs be classed as hate speech? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    lol okay, I'm willing to concede that BTECs might be appropriate for some subjects, and that we shouldn't go around scorning people for taking more practical options, if you're willing to drop your claim that BTECs are 'just as hard as A levels', because that's just unrealistic.

(Original post by intelligent con)
    People who take btecs face constant ridicule and discrimination particuarly from those who study STEM subjects. Threads on here constantly mock BTECs despite them being just as hard as A levels. It treats people who take BTECs as sub human. I've also noticed that those who take BTECs are predominantly working class so it seems to me like this may be a major reason for the anti BTEC hatred. I demand that TSR ban anti BTEC threads, they are no different to anti immigrant threads.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by British Jesus)
    Why say, ihatePE what do you want to do with your life? (Leaving Europe because we are a bunch **** isn't an answer btw )
    i want to be rich of course

(Original post by intelligent con)
    People who take btecs face constant ridicule and discrimination particuarly from those who study STEM subjects. Threads on here constantly mock BTECs despite them being just as hard as A levels. It treats people who take BTECs as sub human. I've also noticed that those who take BTECs are predominantly working class so it seems to me like this may be a major reason for the anti BTEC hatred. I demand that TSR ban anti BTEC threads, they are no different to anti immigrant threads.
    Not gonna happen, bub. Everyone's entitled an opinion concerning the validity of others' subjects, and everyone's entitled to express said.

If that's a problem, you know where the Angry Dome is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judogainz)
    psychology is one of the weakest degrees going lol
    feel like your talking too much...go away and do your research and come back later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanDYEL)
    A-levels > BTEC.....

If you're too stupid to do a levels then go do BTEC. Like it or hate it that's just the way it is.
    Ha too studid for A levels? A level mean **** all in the real world, BTECs have much better employment prospects at both grafuate and non graduate level

I did a BTEC in IT and im on track to achieve a first in Computer Science from a top 20 uni and hopefully do a MSc in CS, Information Security or Software Engineering

A levels would be a piece of piss compared to the maths and computer programming i have to do on my degree

also my BTEC mapped the content from both IT and Computing/CS A level except there was much more of it and it was more applied and actually taught skills rwquired to work in the industry, the software engineering modules on the BTEC are especially good and not included in either the IT or Computing A level syllabus'

You clearly have no idea what youre talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Ha too studid for A levels? A level mean **** all in the real world, BTECs have much better employment prospects at both grafuate and non graduate level

I did a BTEC in IT and im on track to achieve a first in Computer Science from a top 20 uni and hopefully do a MSc in CS, Information Security or Software Engineering

A levels would be a piece of piss compared to the maths and computer programming i have to do on my degree

also my BTEC mapped the content from both IT and Computing/CS A level except there was much more of it and it was more applied and actually taught skills rwquired to work in the industry, the software engineering modules on the BTEC are especially good and not included in either the IT or Computing A level syllabus'

You clearly have no idea what youre talking about
    I think the thing with BTEC's is you definitely get out what you put in.
    Personally I found BTEC system much more like university than I did A levels and felt well prepared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richpeasant)
    BTECs are not as hard as A-levels, no where near, especially not STEM subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol I find btec IT harder than maths honestly

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I have hope that the world will become a better place, then I read threads like this with people ****ging off every BTEC student left right and centre and thus my hope just diminishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Sometimes I have hope that the world will become a better place, then I read threads like this with people ****ging off every BTEC student left right and centre and thus my hope just diminishes.
    Are you a BTEC student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Having done a Film Production BTEC then going onto university to do my degree in the same field, I found myself teaching loads of A-level students how to actually work things. Many of them were completely clueless ended up doing their jobs for them in my projects. From this I gather that A-level doesn't give good practical skills. I'm off to work as a producer in the new year so doesn't matter if I didn't do A-level.

I personally chose BTEC over A-level because A-level colleges seemed very snobby and harder to make connections. In BTEC you're with the same people throughout the course and more like how would be in the workplace. I hate the exam system as well, yeah well done you have a paper with grades but do have have any skills.

ReputationRep:
    I laughed so hard at this 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Are you a BTEC student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I'm not personally, I just find it irritating when certain people insult BTEC students for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    No I'm not personally, I just find it irritating when certain people insult BTEC students for the sake of it.
    You have got to admit they are easy targets and I find it is a pretty enjoyable pastime.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha is this the funniest joke I've heard in a while 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelyDemon)
    Having done a Film Production BTEC then going onto university to do my degree in the same field, I found myself teaching loads of A-level students how to actually work things. Many of them were completely clueless ended up doing their jobs for them in my projects. From this I gather that A-level doesn't give good practical skills. I'm off to work as a producer in the new year so doesn't matter if I didn't do A-level.

I personally chose BTEC over A-level because A-level colleges seemed very snobby and harder to make connections. In BTEC you're with the same people throughout the course and more like how would be in the workplace. I hate the exam system as well, yeah well done you have a paper with grades but do have have any skills.
    i love this statement. its true exmas dont prove ****. i only got a C in my GCSE history and yet i still know more stuff on the russian revolution then half the a level class but i aint allowed to do it cuz i only got a C. BS Btecs prepare u more for uni then A levels and they give u skills for the real life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot of people here seem to miss the point behind doing a BTEC.

If you want to go into a vocational career do a BTEC.

If you want to go into academics go ahead and do A-levels.

Simple as that. Most people that done a BTEC previously often go into undergraduate for the idea of specializing when you graduate. E.g. BTEC in IT > BSc(Hons) Computer Networks & Security > Graduate Network Support/Engineer.

It's not always mapped to the route of:
    Subpar GCSE results > BTEC in [whatever] > Failed in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpeasant)
    btecs are not as hard as a-levels, no where near, especially not stem subjects.

posted from tsr mobile
    triggered

ReputationRep:
    I do A levels. I think people who brag about their qualifications are kind of sad. I'm considered quite intelligent and I'm on track to doing really well in my A levels this year (Bio, Chem, Maths, Economics & Business) but I've never looked down on another person.

hellodave5 Definitely keep going. Especially if you're going for a rewarding career in Medicine. At the end of the day, you're going to become a well respected doctor whilst everyone else on this forum who mocked you will end up in a "some" job that's probably unrelated to their degree. Every doctor goes through medical school - no way around that.

@judogainz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Every doctor goes through medical school - no way around that.
    No they don't. You just need a doctorate.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.